SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Sl55 quality woefully inadequate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 06:45 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Shape Volvo V70 T5
Sl55 quality woefully inadequate

Having read some personal accounts of how great people's Sl55's are, I decided to have a look at one.

First thing, its fairly large and looks great. The roof folds down v quickly and makes the car very multi-talented. The engine also sounds marvelous.

But, inside, my word, the temperature dials were ridicuously flimsy. There was hardly and room for me (I'm 6'4), even with the seat fully back.

I'm sure some people are willing to pay approx 100k British pounds for the car due to its pimping factor, engine, and convertible/coupe change-over ability, but IMHO its too small, overpriced, and the switchgear is awefull.
In all honesty its a car for those who just want to show off, perhaps footballers wives...
Old 08-08-2003, 09:24 PM

997 C2S Cab
Second-hand wisdom

Glad you can read Car magazine - a major coup I suspect with your comments about footballers' wives. You should try a little creativity of your own next time. Sounds suspiciously like a sweet little trolling message you posted there....

Troll or not you have clearly missed the point about the 55...the ENGINE! Who cares if the switchgear wobbles, get out and drive the fu*8ing thing!

I don't own one (you can check for yourself if you're at all interested in what I drive) but I was really impressed with the engine (noise and performance) and the overall quality of the car. I could easily imagine thrashing it around Lake District roads for an hour or two followed by a relaxed cruise back down the M6.

It sounds like the money put you off. If you want big and comfortable you could always wait for a used Skoda Superb to turn up...
Old 08-08-2003, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
I wasnt going to respond, but what the hey. The TEMPERATURE DIALS?!?!?!?!? ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!?!?

Ok.....i responded.

T
Old 08-09-2003, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,243 Likes on 2,019 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally posted by Doctodd33
I wasnt going to respond, but what the hey.
I guess he never sat in an Aston Martin or a Ferrari for that matter...

I have seen many more expensive cars with horrible switchgear. Does that mean that they are bad cars?

I hope I get to see some better forum discussions soon

Wolfman
Old 08-09-2003, 01:19 AM

14 'E550
Re: Sl55 quality woefully inadequate

Originally posted by Target01
In all honesty its a car for those who just want to show off, perhaps footballers wives...
Yup, you're an idiot.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:07 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Sir, those temp dials are amazing. They blend in perfectly with the dash. Maybe its the full year and plus of ownership.
Old 08-09-2003, 05:29 AM
Almost a Member!

New Shape Volvo V70 T5
Temp dials...make that temp switches...oops.

And just because its got a great engine doesn't make it value for money, I came into the dealer with all the hype, and was severely let down.

As for big and comfy; I got new Audi A8 4.2 on order. Cheaper, bigger, better quality and value for money. Whoever said rich people can't moan about quality?

If I had the car, I'd probably just get annoyed with the size of it, and those bloody dials...I use them a lot.

And chef, yes I was curious to see how people would defend the car; so that's to all owners...not wanna-bees.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:18 AM

997 C2S Cab
What a Moaning Minnie!

I was thinking of adding an SL55 to my C4S. Respected the car hugely for its ability, but didn't feel it added what I was looking for so just kept the C4S for the moment, but will probably add something later. So no wannabee here.

If you want crappy switchgear look at a Porsche, but then most people don't choose to buy a Porsche because of the "excellent" switchgear...

In the final analysis going for an A8 shows pretty clearly that you had no idea. If you want a big plush family car then why look at an SL55 in the first place? Wanderlust? To see how footballers' wives live? The price difference alone should have told you not to try and play in the Premiere League.

A classic case of moaning minnie meets all mouth and no trousers.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Almost a Member!

New Shape Volvo V70 T5
What can I say. I had the A8 on order for a few weeks already, and seeing how the weather in Europe became rather bloody hot, I decided that perhaps it would be wise to get a convertible/coupe. The SL55 does this, but for me its not worth the money because I cant get comfy in it, and the switchgear is worse than my volvo v70.

And chef I'm so glad you're able to afford an SL55 and a C4S, sorry for doubting your spending power sweetheart, but never think a person can't join the Premiere Club for not buying a £100K car. Bugger off.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2020 S560,14 ml350, 03 sl55, silver, pano, slr cams, evo headers, lsd, 2019 s63 cab.
as a sl500 and sl55 owner i think driving the car is important. keep your audi and leave the sl55 to those who can enjoy it. also ferrari and porsche are not offering better comfort or reliability.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:56 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 CLK500
hate to weigh-in on this discussion, but I do have an observation about the 'temperature' dials. When I got the car, trading an '03 CLK500 for the SL55, I actually asked about that; thinking the controls were less advanced than the digital ones in the CLK500.

Not so; the sales-advisor pointed-out that when the top's down it is very hard to see purely digital readouts in the sun's glare, which is why they retained the knobs/dials in the SL series. Not sure if that's so; but it's a good answer. He also pointed-out that the controls look 'analog' or mechanical, but ARE actually digital, in terms of how they control the functions.

When driving the car, I concur. Plus; fan speeds are automatically compensated to reduce the effort of trying to pump-up air-flow when the top is down, and reset themselves automatically if the top is raised. Quite sophisticated, and after the first couple days with the 55, it became clear it was beauty in simplicity, in terms of operation, and actually more refined than at first blush. That's true of much of the car; something still-shopping customers are not likely to realize, and just comes from spending time with it.

Best and most reliable car I've ever owned (after 5 months).

cheers...

gene

Old 08-09-2003, 02:13 PM

2002 E46 M3
Haven't driven the SL55, but looked at an SL500 in the dealershiip. Some of the materials did look and feel awfully chintzy in a car that costs over $100K, most notably the instrument binnacle (straight out of a Dodge Neon, I think), and the switchgear could have been mightily improved in appearance and feel. May not detract from the driving experience, but the whole package should inspire for this kind of money. Looks like DCX is just exploiting the profit margin here.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by vraa
Sir, those temp dials are amazing. They blend in perfectly with the dash. Maybe its the full year and plus of ownership.
I agree I love the SL55 interior there was a thread a while ago like this on anthor forum regarding a guy who thought a 2004 Jeep overland was worse then his 93 Wrangler although im not comparing it to this particular thread. The interior blends perfect with the dials one thing sports cars dont really have is to much luxury IE Ferrari the interiors are very nice and convient and serve there purpose but dont offer all the stuff you would see in a seadan because there purpose was for speed and handeling.
Old 08-10-2003, 01:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Temp dials...make that temp switches...oops.

And just because its got a great engine doesn't make it value for money, I came into the dealer with all the hype, and was severely let down.

As for big and comfy; I got new Audi A8 4.2 on order. Cheaper, bigger, better quality and value for money. Whoever said rich people can't moan about quality?

If I had the car, I'd probably just get annoyed with the size of it, and those bloody dials...I use them a lot.

And chef, yes I was curious to see how people would defend the car; so that's to all owners...not wanna-bees.
No one goes to Mercedes for a bargin. Also on your last point does that mean I can't chime in even though what your asking isn't AMG specific?

When driving the car, I concur. Plus; fan speeds are automatically compensated to reduce the effort of trying to pump-up air-flow when the top is down, and reset themselves automatically if the top is raised.
Amazing isn't it? Also try this with the top down. Push UP (yes I said up, to notice the difference) on the window button (I don't know what's it's called ATM) You will notice the A/C lower itself automatically! That.. is cool!

The interior blends perfect with the dials one thing sports cars dont really have is to much luxury IE Ferrari the interiors are very nice and convient and serve there purpose but dont offer all the stuff you would see in a seadan because there purpose was for speed and handeling.
Right on target IMO. Ferrari's and MOST other sport cars of this caliber don't relize the fact that it would be fantastic to be able to hit 0-60 in sub four seconds with all the comforts of the world. If anyone does night driving in their R230, notice how cool the calmly lighted interior looks. Just take a small personal memory snapshot. It's one of those things non-owners probably wouldn't understand anyways..
Old 08-10-2003, 01:32 AM

MB interior at night are amazing. Espacially the SL55 Engine Grumble at night when driving alone on a desert highway in Socal mmmmmm... AMG
Old 08-10-2003, 10:18 AM

2003 C32
The SL55 does this, but for me its not worth the money because I cant get comfy in it, and the switchgear is worse than my volvo v70.
I'm 6'5" and fit in the SL55 comfortably, so much so I was able to autocross it at AMG Challenge. That was with the roof up.

Why don't you try laying off the fatty foods, "sweetheart"?

The temperature gauges...classic. Because, as we all know, Audi has the most luxuriously appointed interiors in all of automotive production. I, myself, am a big fan of their heavy use of red lighting for their interiors. It makes me feel as if my Volkswagen has broken down in some of the more popular tourist attractions of Amsterdam.
Old 08-10-2003, 10:25 AM

2003 C32
Originally posted by ZZZZMD
Haven't driven the SL55, but looked at an SL500 in the dealershiip. Some of the materials did look and feel awfully chintzy in a car that costs over $100K, most notably the instrument binnacle (straight out of a Dodge Neon, I think), and the switchgear could have been mightily improved in appearance and feel. May not detract from the driving experience, but the whole package should inspire for this kind of money. Looks like DCX is just exploiting the profit margin here.
I'm sorry, but how exactly do you think this binnacle:

and this one:

are in anyway similar? I mean, other than the fact that both have gauges that indicate fuel level, speed (in both MPH and KPH, no less!), and engine rpm?
Old 08-10-2003, 11:26 AM

Show me anthor car like MB besides Bently.

Old 08-10-2003, 02:01 PM
Almost a Member!

New Shape Volvo V70 T5
Oh alpharetta, you're one inch taller than I am, good on you mate. Mind you, the 'sweetheart' bit wasn't aimed at your lanky self. Also, I'm not fat...probably have less fat on me than you do.

As for the Audi interiors, I'm talking about their latest car here, the new A8. The one with the best interior in the world; IMHO. I suppose its got red illumination because it helps with night-vision. Still, I'm not that great a fan of it, but its not like there's a red glow emminating from every Audi.

As for the red light district statement, don't pimps usually drive mercs? Only joking.

See the picture of the interior of an A8...do you hate it?

Why would a merc interior be better?
Old 08-10-2003, 03:59 PM

I like the new A8L I cant wait to see a resdesigned RS6.
Old 08-10-2003, 04:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

See the picture of the interior of an A8...do you hate it?

Why would a merc interior be better?
Better is an opinion. Mine says that the A8 interior looks cheap. Why? I hate three spoke steering wheels. I despise them. No clue why, but I just do. They seem to detract from the elegence of the car.
Old 08-10-2003, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
I dont see any resemblance to a Neon. Both Audi and MB interiors are elegant. I dont like the 3 spoke wheel either, but functionally it does the job. I dont see any alcantara leather anywhere on the Audi BTW. What i do wish both cars had was air vents to the groin...something my Mustang Cobra had right under the steering wheel i think....or maybe it just had low center vents. Either way, my BMW and MB dont aerate my ***** as much as id like. :-)

No offense, but i dont see the MB anywhere near the low quality you perceive on it. And i also fit just fine in the car and ive been a jock all my teen/adult life....6'1" 220lbs. Michael Jordan fits well too. The interior that i think has both the Audi and MB beat is the real wood on the new BMW 7 series. Not the shiny wood, but the real wood option. It is absolutley beautiful.

T
Old 08-11-2003, 01:35 PM

C43 AMG
Comparing the Neon interior to the SL55 interior was foolish. Their similarities are just as abundant as a LA-Z-Boy chair to a hardwood kitchen chair.

However, I don't own an SL55, so I may come across as a "wannabe" in this discussion. I did spend this past Saturday in one, though. I went from Seattle to the San Juan Islands and back. In the morning, it was cold and rainy, but by the end of the day, it was hot and sunny. I only say that as reason to use the guages and temperature controls more frequently, with the temperamental weather.
I found no complaints with this car. We were participating in a small drive, with a 911, and 3 M3's, so many people on the way were staring at our pack. It's an amazing car, and is now probably my dream car; replacing the GT2 and 575M. The SL55 has it all!

As for the A8 interior, it is very nice and plush. The only parts I don't like, are the steering wheel, and the space around and below the hazard light button.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Almost a Member!

New Shape Volvo V70 T5
One can specify both a 4 spoke-steering wheel with wood or heated.
Also available is alcantra throughout the car, and again, as in mercs, wall to wall leather.

It's all a matter of money.

Mind you, funny how you only critisize the A8's interior, what about the good points?
Old 08-11-2003, 03:55 PM

2018 GLC43, 2021 VW Atlas
So Target01, what roadster in the price range of the SL55 has a better interior? Compare apples to apples. I for one don't think it is as bad as my 996 Turbo. Which is the same price as the SL55.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Sl55 quality woefully inadequate