SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: SL65 tire selection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 997S
Originally Posted by kittyandgary
The 'flop flop' a radial gives after storage for a while is the result of a nylon cap ply that goes on top of the steel belt. That cap ply is required for high speed durability, as the adhesive interfaces between the steel wire and rubber are insufficient to keep separation from occurring at 150+ mph - UNLESS the nylon (for which there are great interface adhesives for rubber) is applied directly over the belt.

Anyone who drove cars in the '50's when bias tires were built with totally nylon reinforcement of the rubber remembers the 'flat spot thump' that occurred for a mile or so after parking for more than a few hours (especially in cold winter weather).

This all occurs because nylon 'expands' somewhat when it gets warm, then contracts slightly as it cools. But, the bottom of the tire contracts in a different dimension than the rest of the tire, resulting in a slightly out of round tire. Need to generate a little heat to get everything 'uniformly round' again.

Gary (spent a few years in tire/tire cord development work in the '70's)
Pretty cool info Gary, thanks!
Old 11-09-2013, 05:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
SL 65 AMG, Porsche 911 (993), 2014 Cayenne GTS, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
There is Continental DW tire and a DWS, which is all season.....the DW is the one for these cars for good traction, stiff sidewalls and decent wear.....Bridgestore RE050a was jiggly on hard acceleration..Hankook great price, but soft sidewalls on acceleration.........don't know about Michelin or Pirelli on a 65, but people generally happy with those makes, other than the price and fast tear wear.........I use to hate Continental tires, thought they were too hard, but I am a convert and the price is middle of the road.......wear on the DW had been average.....
Old 11-09-2013, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
All I run on my modded SL is either Toyo T1Rs or Nitto Invos. If you are in to tread wear, do not even think of purchasing either one. I get maybe 6k to 10k out of a set depending upon number of trips to the drag strip and how aggressive I am on the street. These tires like warm roadways. When the temps drop below 70 degrees, a drop in grip is very noticeable. They hook nice on hot pavement. In fact, in their element, I think they out perform all other tires in terms of grip other than drag radials. If you are looking for all around good tire performance, they are not for you. If you are looking for maximum grip in summer weather they are for you.