SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: ABC pump failure. Experince.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 06:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
SL600 / SL450 (107) / E350 / BMW M5 E60 / BMW 745i (E23) / BMW X6M / Toyota Hilux 4 WD/ Honda CBX 10
ABC pump failure. Experince.

Hello.

For approx 2 monhs ago I got ABC pump failure. It's start to leak little of oil.
Here is few picture what it's look inside the pump. This pump pictures is from a intact pump... My new pump.

I had lot of problems with Mercedes and the seller where I bought it from.
First I bought this pump from Germany because it cost arround 900 Eur there.... Mercedes want 1900 Eur from the same pump.
When I got the pump I bring it to the Mercedes service and ask them to change the pump. They do it and when they start the engine my steering oil reservoir exploded.... Mercedes service told me that something was wrong with the pump and it was not in working condition even if it was brand new.
I ordered a new ABC pump from Mercedes and they install it and everything working fine.

Now when I refund the first ABC pump back to Germany.I ask them to refund my money because the new pump was broken from the beginning ....
It has taken 4-5 weeks to find out was the ABC pump broken or not....
Now I now it was healthy.... as you can see at following pictures Mercedes service forgot or did not now that they must take of the plug before they install it. You can see the plug at few pictures at the pipe hole. You can even see the preservation grease is still there.

Now I now also my ABC pump failure. My ABC pump start to leak because the sealing start to leak.... You can see at the picture number 5. the outer sealing ring... so if you want save money buy the sealing kit for approx 50-80 USD and change them itself.
Next time I'm gone do it my self.

Juha
Attached Thumbnails ABC pump failure. Experince.-2.jpg   ABC pump failure. Experince.-3.jpg   ABC pump failure. Experince.-4.jpg   ABC pump failure. Experince.-5.jpg   ABC pump failure. Experince.-7.jpg  

ABC pump failure. Experince.-8.jpg  

Last edited by Ekselent; 09-27-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
SL55AMG + SL600 + E320 + A180
People makes mistakes

This is terrible ……. but unfortunately, quit commonly …… these authorized MB companies are mostly just simple engine/car seller/ workshops with an agreements with MB. Think mostly they put more energy into the looks of theirs places so people shall get a good feeling of coming to a Mercedes Benz dealer that knows what they are doing. In a land as Finland I guess MB Germany didn’t have so many choices when deciding a dealer/workshop ….. just like here in Sweden …. and the people working there are just like you and me … people ……. and people makes mistakes …… some more than others.

I also learned this the hard way and do almost everything myself since I know more about this car then the local MB dealership. Guess they have a hard time following suit with all new models coming …. do you think a new mechanic comes on courses to repair an old car like the SL55AMG? (I do my shopping for original MB parts in Germany which is generally cheaper and I have an additional 10% discount on all parts )

Fortunately my car is covered by this repair DVD: http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...stedDocId=9124

Also for ABC issues: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...ml#post5567814
Old 09-28-2013, 04:31 AM

SL600 / SL450 (107) / E350 / BMW M5 E60 / BMW 745i (E23) / BMW X6M / Toyota Hilux 4 WD/ Honda CBX 10
Originally Posted by amok55amg
This is terrible ……. but unfortunately, quit commonly …… these authorized MB companies are mostly just simple engine/car seller/ workshops with an agreements with MB. Think mostly they put more energy into the looks of theirs places so people shall get a good feeling of coming to a Mercedes Benz dealer that knows what they are doing. In a land as Finland I guess MB Germany didn’t have so many choices when deciding a dealer/workshop ….. just like here in Sweden …. and the people working there are just like you and me … people ……. and people makes mistakes …… some more than others.

I also learned this the hard way and do almost everything myself since I know more about this car then the local MB dealership. Guess they have a hard time following suit with all new models coming …. do you think a new mechanic comes on courses to repair an old car like the SL55AMG? (I do my shopping for original MB parts in Germany which is generally cheaper and I have an additional 10% discount on all parts )

Fortunately my car is covered by this repair DVD: http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...stedDocId=9124

Also for ABC issues: https://mbworld.org/forums/sl55-amg-...ml#post5567814
I agree 100%....
At my case I must by a new pump from Mercedes because I had no time to wait a new one from Germany... I calculate that if everything would gone right from the beginning the repair would have cost about 1600 Eur.

Now
- Steering reservoir exploded, Buy a new one
- New pump from Mercedes
- Two installing cost

So it has cost me now all together over 3500 Eur.
Now I'm gone contact mercedes again and show them what was the problem and hope they refund some money.

I have owned a lot of cars in my life but this mercedes has had the most defects of all. Now I have coil packs failure.. I'm gone change them myself.
Then I have two PDC failures which I also must buy new ones and change them.
Yesterday my shifter locking system had problems.... lock it's not gone open.
So I must buy a new one... and so on. This car it's very expensive to use.

Juha

Last edited by Ekselent; 09-28-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:12 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
Hi Guys - you may want to check out this thread

I know this is an S600 versus SL but Howard has done a significant amount of diy work on both ABC (pretty much replaced all the lines and fixed up the components himself) as well as coil packs (he also not only did it himself but he actually repaired a coil pack versus buying a replacement).

I've found what he has done very helpful, hopefully you'll find it helpful as well.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...2003-s600.html

James
Old 09-28-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by mcguirja
I know this is an S600 versus SL but Howard has done a significant amount of diy work on both ABC (pretty much replaced all the lines and fixed up the components himself) as well as coil packs (he also not only did it himself but he actually repaired a coil pack versus buying a replacement).

I've found what he has done very helpful, hopefully you'll find it helpful as well.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...2003-s600.html

James
Thank you James..

Juha
Old 10-01-2013, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Ekselent
Hello.

For approx 2 monhs ago I got ABC pump failure. It's start to leak little of oil.
Here is few picture what it's look inside the pump. This pump pictures is from a intact pump... My new pump.

I had lot of problems with Mercedes and the seller where I bought it from.
First I bought this pump from Germany because it cost arround 900 Eur there.... Mercedes want 1900 Eur from the same pump.
When I got the pump I bring it to the Mercedes service and ask them to change the pump. They do it and when they start the engine my steering oil reservoir exploded.... Mercedes service told me that something was wrong with the pump and it was not in working condition even if it was brand new.
I ordered a new ABC pump from Mercedes and they install it and everything working fine.

Now when I refund the first ABC pump back to Germany.I ask them to refund my money because the new pump was broken from the beginning ....
It has taken 4-5 weeks to find out was the ABC pump broken or not....
Now I now it was healthy.... as you can see at following pictures Mercedes service forgot or did not now that they must take of the plug before they install it. You can see the plug at few pictures at the pipe hole. You can even see the preservation grease is still there.

Now I now also my ABC pump failure. My ABC pump start to leak because the sealing start to leak.... You can see at the picture number 5. the outer sealing ring... so if you want save money buy the sealing kit for approx 50-80 USD and change them itself.
Next time I'm gone do it my self.

Juha
Mercedes service send me an e-mail what was told me that they are going to refund me 850 Eur... I'm happy and pleased..... No big fights.... and the give me what I want.

Juha

Last edited by Ekselent; 10-01-2013 at 04:32 AM.