SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: disconnecting trunk battery for a month - effect???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 04:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
disconnecting trunk battery for a month - effect???

My '03 SL55 AMG will be stored for at least a month, and perhaps several months over the winter. I had it stored for a month this past summer and put a battery maintainer on both the starting battery and the one in the trunk - no issues upon returning.

Does anyone have any experience with the effects from disconnecting either or both batteries for extended periods of time - to keep them from discharging when the car is not driven?

Any experience or information would be greatly appreciated.

Gary-
Old 10-27-2013, 10:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK320, ML550, SL55, GL450
If you already have the trickle charger.. I'd use it.
I imagine you'll have to re-program everything (memory function items/seat/radio codes etc)
Would keys even need reprogramming I'd wonder if it went completely dead.
Don't batteries go stale as well just sitting there?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
+1 I'd stay with the trickle charger as well, but think you only need one on the trunk battery.

I put my SL to bed every winter and have for years. I plug the charger into the harness that I leave connected to the battery all of the time. The car has set as long as six months and fires up like a champ every spring.

One thing i have never done is put fuel stabilizer in the tank. I have never had any issues, but am thinking about putting some in this year.

I do think you would be fine removing both batteries if you chose to. I think all programmable setting would go back to defaults. It seems like the keys would be fine. If you go that route, give the car a few minutes before trying to start after connecting up the batteries. I read somewhere that the ECU will need a minute or so to reboot itself. i also read that disconnected batteries should be trickle charged from time to time so I don't see much advantage to removing them.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 328 Likes on 265 Posts
2006 S600
Keep the fuel tank full so you don't get condensation inside due to the tank breathing.

Batteries MUST be kept charged up - never let them go below 12.4V. Might need trickle charging once a month - maybe once a week - whatever's necessary. Keys will be fine.

Lots of warnings go off when you re-connect, but nothing to worry about if the car is kept dry.

I wouldn't disconnect a battery if you don't have to - but it does need to be kept charged.

Nick

Last edited by Welwynnick; 10-27-2013 at 02:03 PM.