SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: The R230 V12TT intake thread...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
from looking at these Renntech air boxes it seems like the air is being fed from the top rather than the bottom which is the case in the stock air box. but then i could be wrong because they still utilize modified stock bottom part of the air box.

Last edited by shardul; 04-08-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CTS-V
yes...that's what I was thinking of doing (back in post #12)...
Old 04-08-2014, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Eurocharged 2004 E500, Eurocharged ECU/TCU 2005 SL600, 2010 Caddy SwaggerWagon
And at least RENNtech publishes gains for their box, 15hp/15tq for the low, low price of $5500.00 LMAO.

Although, I've seen used boxes go for MUCH less, you're buying this as an aesthetic upgrade, not a performance one. Fifteen whole German horsepowers, doesn't mean squat when you're already above 500whp...
Old 04-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 293 Likes on 242 Posts
2003 W211 E55, 2003 W220 S600
Originally Posted by ttboost
yes...that's what I was thinking of doing (back in post #12)...
Exactly I started doing some research after seeing your post
Old 04-08-2014, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Originally Posted by Benz-O-Rama
I'm speaking specifically about their quad filter intake. Why no published data or gains on that? That's something people would buy a la cart. Especially in the past before people like Sean did their own work and shared their findings. Years ago I inquired about purchasing their intake. I was told that it was not for sale without the top mounts. I then inquired again about purchasing, roughly a year after that. They hired a guy (can't remember his name) that did more of their forum and social media stuff and was very active on this forum. I got zero response. And this was AFTER I purchased a Speedriven TCU tune. Go figure...

Their website is, and has always been a joke. But if you ask anyone, that Marcin has laid his hands upon their car, they speak of him as a deity. I'm sure his mechanic skills are superb, but his customer facing and retail marketing skills leave much to be desired.

But, that's what these forums and threads are for. We, the membership, will engineer our own god damned solution if the vendors ignore us.

Wow! from the man who is usually so diplomatic this comes as a shock. LOL If I were to make an educated guess, I'd say there is a real reason. The intakes by themselves will give you the volume you need to make more power, but with stock cooling the volume will be of hot under the hood air. As a package, the larger intercoolers can compensate for the additional heat making IATs something that can net some power from the intake tubes. If the intakes were sold separately and they didn't net power, people would think less of the brand that provided them in the first place. I hope you are happy now making me speak for someone else. Again this is just my thoughts. Most likely the same point that Zax63 was trying to make but a little more specific. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses and it is up to us to find what works best for us.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RaceHorse
Wow! from the man who is usually so diplomatic this comes as a shock. LOL If I were to make an educated guess, I'd say there is a real reason. The intakes by themselves will give you the volume you need to make more power, but with stock cooling the volume will be of hot under the hood air. As a package, the larger intercoolers can compensate for the additional heat making IATs something that can net some power from the intake tubes. If the intakes were sold separately and they didn't net power, people would think less of the brand that provided them in the first place. I hope you are happy now making me speak for someone else. Again this is just my thoughts. Most likely the same point that Zax63 was trying to make but a little more specific. Everybody has their strengths and weaknesses and it is up to us to find what works best for us.

I know, right?!?! I'm all fired up, Chachi...LOL People making me use words like "deity" and schit.

Your hypotheses seems right, especially since they wouldn't talk to to me unless I was interested in purchasing their upgraded coolers too. We've been asking vendors to make and sell an intake for these cars for years now. Bruce and I started working on a bi-tubular setup a few years ago, which as it turns out, I just didn't have the cycles to put into it, at that point in time. My sons were at the age that needed CONSTANT fathering and my free time was basically non-existent. He sent me some pieces to do a proof of concept with, and I dropped the ball on it. This was right around the time Sean started tinkering on his own, and he basically figured everything out.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Also, I just wanted to let you know you car looks a lot better with its braces off. LOL
Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi A4
Here is another filter setup that hasn't been discussed, Something in line for the 230 boys.

http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/wp-co...bye_hello8.jpg
Wth... who has this SL? Interesting design with the intake/IC... what's the whp? Awkwardly angled ICs looks weird..
Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Umm I've been running Speedrivens big IC's for nearly 2 yrs now, I tried the Scorp's pre/post big coolers they dont work in warm weather or after heatsoaking..

Novel thought your own 1/4 results ecu/tcu w/STOCK coolers & STOCK airboxes w/NO filters nearly equaled Jody's et/trap when he was running the entire Speedriven package. Not putting Speedriven down, just pointing out the ancient Scorpions originated w/Vadim, NOT Speedriven. I'd love to see Speedrivens 1 off CAI that exits engine bay @ work w/their full package.

Last edited by Thericker; 04-08-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
is it just me or the car feels a tad slower with the filters removed on the track?
Old 04-09-2014, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Originally Posted by Thericker
Umm I've been running Speedrivens big IC's for nearly 2 yrs now, I tried the Scorp's pre/post big coolers they dont work in warm weather or after heatsoaking..

Novel thought your own 1/4 results ecu/tcu w/STOCK coolers & STOCK airboxes w/NO filters nearly equaled Jody's et/trap when he was running the entire Speedriven package. Not putting Speedriven down, just pointing out the ancient Scorpions originated w/Vadim, NOT Speedriven. I'd love to see Speedrivens 1 off CAI that exits engine bay @ work w/their full package.
Warm weather just kills these cars, It must take alot to maintain power when ambient temps are over 85 degrees. You pretty much have made that package(stated above), or better with your setup, lets see some track times from your beast. I realize how close my car ran to Jody's and times being very close with much less mods could be a difference in tuning or is it a difference in downpipes and top mounts considering the mph difference? Maybe after downpipes are in I'll get the itch to take to the track.

Originally Posted by benz_addict
is it just me or the car feels a tad slower with the filters removed on the track?
For me the car performed the best it ever did. Tied for quickest 60 ft on dragtimes. It also ran the best MPH for me without filters.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Umm I I'd love to see Speedrivens 1 off CAI that exits engine bay @ work w/their full package.

Ask and you shall receive. I believe this may be what you're looking for.

And there's even room for a K40 detector between the filters.

The R230 V12TT intake thread...-31b648dc-d364-4e13-b6ad-8d5c71be2b46_zpsc1hfux4j.jpg

The R230 V12TT intake thread...-b1734dc1-3a62-495c-b7c0-f31ca5f014dd_zpsuojy1mim.jpg
Old 04-09-2014, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by benz_addict
I removed my filters at the track and gained exactly nothing, with my stock boxes. Car ran same mph...

Last edited by Benz-O-Rama; 04-09-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I laugh a little on the inside when I read about the 55K guys suffering from heat soak. Our cars, on stock cooling run ~50* above ambient just when cruising and not banging on the car. In the summer, in 90* heat, it's common to see 150* IAT just driving to the office.

I'd really love to see IAT logs from ANY V12TT with a modded intake. Any design, any platform, just.... anything.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Eurocharged has also made advancements in the V12TT tune as well. I wonder how much that had to do with Rich's great results, as a tune-only car, vs Jody's hardware packaged car, but older tune, from a different tuner.

Those that don't know, I'm back to the Eurocharged tune on the SL. Don't know if it's faster at the track yet, but certainly feels quicker, and it made more power on the dyno. I will say, whatever Jerry has done to his latest flavor of M275 tune, it just feels better to drive, over what I had. Car was strong before, feels stronger now.

This stuff is all voodoo anyway. Let's just get an intake to the membership that works, and then on to step 2.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:53 PM

CTS-V
Yeah, my car is basically EC stage 2 tune only...front mount HE and Bosch pump don't really count for anything mod-wise...
Old 04-09-2014, 02:11 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
SL65 R230
I have monitored my IATs a lot on my SL65 and also on my old SL600 with and without ECU-Tune.

Once the car is really moving, the stock cooling is not that bad as many think.

You must keep in mind (in stock form) the IC-Pump is only switched on when you step on the gas AND IATs are above approx.45C (113F). When the temps get down to approx. 30C again the pump is switched off again. When the car stops in traffic of course the temps go through the roof. But when the car is moving again and you step on the gas they fall really quick. I don't know if anyone here has his IC-Pump always on, this should also help keeping IATs down. I have another solution for this on my car.

Timing is being pulled for our cars above approx. 65-70C (160F) and on my SL65 with ECU-Tune I only come to these high figures when I make a really, really long pull up to aprox. 200-210 MPH on the Autobahn.

I think I will revise my whole IC-System, when I switch to bigger Turbos...
Old 04-09-2014, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...

Let me join the fun!

My understanding is the tune I had when I ran that 10.72 is ancient from what Marcin told me last time. He said the new software and TCU is much improved from 5-6 Years ago. I am waiting for my Coolers package to arrive and we shall see how it does with the new tune etc.

And yes, I told him to save the money on the Scorpion Intakes. I am building my own.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
HAHA my brutha!

Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
Let me join the fun!

My understanding is the tune I had when I ran that 10.72 is ancient from what Marcin told me last time. He said the new software and TCU is much improved from 5-6 Years ago. I am waiting for my Coolers package to arrive and we shall see how it does with the new tune etc.

And yes, I told him to save the money on the Scorpion Intakes. I am building my own.
IDK but I feel you can squeeze a bit more outta the cl65 too

Clayton.. Yeah I've seen the setup before, I meant @ work down 1/4.. Yes I'd be a regular @ the 1/4 & probably learned a ton more by now but closest track worth spit, Famoso is 4-4 1/2 hrs 1 way in GOOD traffic, I've had things lined up w/plans to hit Famoso & twice had coil pack issues few days before event, then 1 fender bender lol... I can't say/plan anything I just havta go outta blue, though it will happen trust me..

What'd you pick up on dyno between the OE EC tunes?

Lastly on gaining perf w/stock boxes, you guys need to truly gut the boxes as I have done in past. Only taking filters out would be in my mind a meager gain as you've found, the multi restrictions in airs pathway finally dump dwn that candy bar sized slit over the actual turbo inlet. Remove it all then sand flat, I'll dig up mine & snap a pic later tday.. PS ecu def needs at least 10 miles to see/adjust for all intake mods, even better if tuned for change on dyno etc..

Last edited by Thericker; 04-09-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL65
Its starting to sound like 2009 around here again. Lol... Its nice to see some V12TT talk its been dead for a while. As for the 215 and maybe 220, I think a little trim of the bumper support right before the inside edge of the headlights and close to the hood bumper stops will allow for some 4" tubing to elbow off the stock openings on the radiator support. It does require the commitment, but with a sawzall, file and touch up paint it maynot be noticeable.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL600, 2016 ES300h, 2012 Hayabusa
you are a brave soul
Old 04-09-2014, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Double post..Why'd this site remove COMPLETE delete post feature?

Last edited by Thericker; 04-09-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
When I say gutted, think...

Hannibal Lecter..

Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 PM

CTS-V
That's pretty much what I did. I still have the little wall, but I don't think any air is even going that way anymore. You said you have proven that this is a decent mod? It actually works? I was going to try this with filters in the engine bay (try to shroud them a bit to catch more fresh air than engine bay air), and then with the intake piping and no filters at all, just sucking freash unfiltered air. Thoughts? My car seems to run pretty good now and not sure how much I can actually pick up. I might get better times with a driver mod.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
As I said gut it all..

Originally Posted by ttboost
That's pretty much what I did. I still have the little wall, but I don't think any air is even going that way anymore. You said you have proven that this is a decent mod? It actually works? I was going to try this with filters in the engine bay (try to shroud them a bit to catch more fresh air than engine bay air), and then with the intake piping and no filters at all, just sucking freash unfiltered air. Thoughts? My car seems to run pretty good now and not sure how much I can actually pick up. I might get better times with a driver mod.
Think about the air flow, the LEAST amount of twists/turns etc in routing air in & out of turbos is integral to perf also leaving that wall may seem insignificant but it is def creating turbulence also bad for perf..

Gotta give props to Soun8, he/she's taught me ALL I know about turbocharging
This quoted from my earlier post..

Lastly on gaining perf w/stock boxes, you guys need to truly gut the boxes as I have done in past. Only taking filters out would be in my mind a meager gain as you've found, the multi restrictions in airs pathway finally dump dwn that candy bar sized slit over the actual turbo inlet. Remove it all then sand flat, I'll dig up mine & snap a pic later tday.. PS ecu def needs at least 10 miles to see/adjust for all intake mods, even better if tuned for change on dyno etc..

Last edited by Thericker; 04-09-2014 at 08:49 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: The R230 V12TT intake thread...