SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Should I get an SL55 AMG Kompressor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW
Should I get an SL55 AMG Kompressor?

Hello, I'm thinking about purchasing a used SL55 AMG with less than 50k miles within the next 6-8 months. Do you guys recommend this for me?

I'll give you a little background. I've been leasing new cars for a while, but I'm tired of that and I don't really like the new MB/BMW designs. I'd like to get into an SL55 Kompressor. Looking at that car gives me nostalgia to the time I had a 2003 C230 K Sportcoupe when I was a youngin and drooling over the unattainable SL55. Now I'm an old early 30-something. I actually liked the C230 Sportcoupe more than the BMWs I've been leasing since then, looking back at it.

Now regarding the SL55:
  • This would be a weekend only car, maybe 2000-5000mi a year (my DD is another cheaper convertible)
  • I don't want to break the bank with repairs.
  • I'm prepared to try to fix whatever problems that arise myself and do my own oil changes & other periodic maintenance (which I haven't done before). I have the knack to become a gearhead if I need to.
  • Are common problems with this car expensive to fix? Can I fix a lot of the common problems myself, if I research online?
  • I have yet to sit in one, but I'm over 6 feet tall, would that be a problem?
  • Should I consider different models?
  • Anything else I should know??
Thanks, I appreciate any advice I can get!

Last edited by st3v; 01-26-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
eh.

while I appreciate you're willing to learn, this is not a great car to do it on as there are a lot of complicated systems here. Short version, you have SBC, ABC, and the folding steel roof.

The car could be reliable or it could break constantly and you'll be out a lot of money.

If you're used to a trouble free new car experience, I think you might be disappointed with what could be a steady stream of minor (or major issues).

things like motor mounts, abc leaks, SBC cycle out, roof issues, leaking valve covers, intercooler pumps, interior trim, etc.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:46 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Not for starter gear heads.

No offense, but this is graduate level for gear head stuff. I've worked my whole life on cars and this one challenges me! It does not even come with a dipstick to check oil.
FYI - I'm 56, raced and rebuilt cars and bikes, and have built and fly my own airplane.
So, I'm afraid you will be disappointed or frustrated if you want to do your own work. Plan on professionals for most repairs.

On the other hand, a 6' large man will fit and have a blast driving this car.
If you drive one, you will be seduced and want to write bad checks. Don't do it
Old 01-27-2015, 06:20 AM

SL55, 1100 HP Supra, 400 HP GSXR
I think that for the amount of miles that you plan to drive that you'll be fine. I just bought a 20K mile '03 SL55 and haven't driven it anywhere but home from the dealer but I did have an '03 SL500 that I drove 160,000 miles. It encountered all the problems mentioned above including the tranny getting stuck in park at 130,000 miles. I would definitely keep new oil in the ABC system cause that will be your first issue if you don't.
Old 01-27-2015, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 SL550
I'll have to agree with the other two who said this isn't the car to learn on. I own a repair shop and at times this car can be challenging. If you don't have much experience with car repair there is the possibility you will be out some major money. Mine is my second SL and my most expensive repair was the transmission pump. Fortunately I was able to replace it myself. And for anyone that replaces their tranny pump I would highly recommend installing a stall speed converter.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
An Sl55 can be the most exhilarating car you may ever own. I've owned mine for 18 months, and get a big smile on my face everytime I drive it on twisty roads. The smile is 'ear to ear' when I have a road ahead where I can put the accelerator to the floor and have the 575 ft lbs of torque 'launch' the car forward (smaller supercharger pulley and ECU flash to get the extra 10% torque).

Read all you can on this, and the Benzworld forum about these cars, and the maintenance they SHOULD have, but MB did not recommend they get. IF you find a car that has been well cared for, and has no problems, then you or an indy service shop do the maintenance on the ABC, power steering, transmission, (and change the supercharger oil), it can be a wonderful car. IF it needs service because something isn't 'right', it could become a nightmare.

The good ones are great. The cheap ones can become the most expensive car you'll ever buy (same thing is said for the Porshes I've owned over the past 15 years!).

There shouldn't really be much difference in maintenance costs between the SL500's and the SL55's. But, the performance difference is significant.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by kittyandgary
An Sl55 can be the most exhilarating car you may ever own. I've owned mine for 18 months, and get a big smile on my face everytime I drive it on twisty roads. The smile is 'ear to ear' when I have a road ahead where I can put the accelerator to the floor and have the 575 ft lbs of torque 'launch' the car forward (smaller supercharger pulley and ECU flash to get the extra 10% torque).

Read all you can on this, and the Benzworld forum about these cars, and the maintenance they SHOULD have, but MB did not recommend they get. IF you find a car that has been well cared for, and has no problems, then you or an indy service shop do the maintenance on the ABC, power steering, transmission, (and change the supercharger oil), it can be a wonderful car. IF it needs service because something isn't 'right', it could become a nightmare.

The good ones are great. The cheap ones can become the most expensive car you'll ever buy (same thing is said for the Porshes I've owned over the past 15 years!).

There shouldn't really be much difference in maintenance costs between the SL500's and the SL55's. But, the performance difference is significant.
I'll offer a counterpoint.

The sl55 is a snoozer to drive. Its fast in a straight line, yes, but the steering is vauge, the car feels very heavy, the gearbox is recalcitrant, and it just feels all wrong on nice twisty roads.

on a warm night on the highway with the top down....yeahhhh, its great.
Old 01-27-2015, 01:37 PM

BMW
Thanks guys. I won't do something dumb like trying to work on something major without experience. I am OCD about fixing things. I would take it to a professional for something but read up on it so I am very educated on it so I don't get the shaft.

Right now I have an '07 Mustang convertible as a daily driver and will run that to the ground, while the SL would be my toy (If I decide to get an SL55). Then, when the Mustang is over with, I'll use the SL as a DD...
Old 01-27-2015, 01:40 PM

BMW
I will search through the forums and find bits and pieces of info. However, do any of you with experience (who are meticulous about maintaining cars) recommend any maintenance I should do upon purchase? Assume less than 40k miles on it, pristine condition.

Also anything I should ask/check before purchase?
Old 01-27-2015, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 103 Posts
2003 SL55,2020 GTC ,2017 GTS sold ,2002 G500 Sold,2003 SL500 Sold,
I have an 03 bought it with 24k miles now has 30 k ,I have replaced both suspension blocks at 1400 a piece ,I did work and parts were from dealer account,front left strut from Arnott , I think it was 800, ignition switch,and shifter,that was prob 1000 in parts if I remember,now I did all work ,and I have STAR computer,did rear main oil seal,not a lot of money ,but a lot of work lol,aside from normal maint that's what I spent on that stuff,

Now my own OCD I like to go fast ,it runs 10.7s @ 130 mph
Don't ask what that cost me ,again doing all work aside from programming ECU ,

I love the car
Old 01-27-2015, 02:59 PM

2003 SL55 AMG
stv3,

On BenzWorld.org forums for the R230 chassis cars, there is a sticky regarding ABC info. IT IS LONG, but very worthwhile reading. It is the second 'sticky' here: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r230-sl-class/

During the first 9 months of ownership (winter 2013-4), I did the following (I'm retired and have a heated hobby garage with a lift): Replaced every fluid from the differential to the radiator (except freon), including the ABC system, PS system, and the supercharger (procedures for essentially all this can be found on the AMG model car forum sites on MBWorld or BenzWorld). I used MB approved fluids for the R230, but not necessarily MB dealer fluids. I also replaced the OE supercharger pulley with a smaller one along with the idler pulleys, installed a belt wrap kit and an ECU flash (EuroCharged company for all). Installed all new brake rotors and pads, repainted the brake calipers in body color (firemist red), and installed a set of 2 piece 2006 SL65 wheels from a member on one of those Forums. Everything was maintenance, nothing due to failure. Car had 48K miles on it, and I bought it in Utah. Added a lot of leather conditioner to the seats, and that was it.

This winter, I'll replace all 4 of the ABC pressure accumulators/reservoirs. Failure of any one of these 4 - in my opinion - can lead to larger ABC problems. I'll also 'invest' in a STAR software install for my laptop from EuroCharged.

So, in 2 1/2 years I'll have spent about $2K on new parts/fluids, another $2.5K on upgrades, and about 0.6K on software. My expectation is to spend about $300-400 per year for service (DIY) the next 3-4 years and 10K miles. Gas and tires are not included!

And, I DID drive the car on the Watkins Glen NY road race track for 2 days among about 40 Porsches about 3 months after purchase. It performed as beautifully as it looked! But, I went through one set of new brake pads in doing it (not race pads). I'd driven this track for about 12 years in Porsche 928's, and wanted to enjoy the 'ride' in this new to me car.

Last edited by kittyandgary; 01-27-2015 at 03:09 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:26 PM

Sl55amg

agree with all you say.but didn't know about the
Supercharger oil.its not as far as I can see on any service intervals.yes I know the abc fluid isn't either,so is this another miss from mb.any info on this would be great.sorry if I've hijacked the thread op.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:31 PM

Touareg and Z4
Reading here for a while and registered today (see welcome thread). I am also about to purchase a 55 but will definitely not do any maintenance or repair on my own. Thats why I am not sure whether a 63 would do better to me than a 55 (although I like the design of the 55 more). Apologize for my poor English, I am German (so to speak home of the Mercedes Benz).
Greetings from Germany
Snowbird
Old 01-27-2015, 03:37 PM

2003 SL55 AMG
Tankman,

The supercharger is drained and filled via a small allen screw near the bottom front on the drivers (US) side. It requires Mobil 1 Jet Oil (available on line, or at major aircraft servicing shops). I used about 1/2 qt - drained the OE oil, ran it for a short period, re-drained and refilled. I'll probably do the same again in 3-4 years (since the smaller supercharger pulley runs the SC about 10% faster, I wanted good lubrication!).

MB also stated that the transmission fluid was 'lifetime'. To me, 'lifetime' fluids just mean the lifetime of the component is shorter, and the manufacturer gets to sell parts more frequently!!! - HA.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:49 PM

Sl55amg
Tankman,

The supercharger is drained and filled via a small allen screw near the bottom front on the drivers (US) side. It requires Mobil 1 Jet Oil (available on line, or at major aircraft servicing shops). I used about 1/2 qt - drained the OE oil, ran it for a short period, re-drained and refilled. I'll probably do the same again in 3-4 years (since the smaller supercharger pulley runs the SC about 10% faster, I wanted good lubrication!).

MB also stated that the transmission fluid was 'lifetime'. To me, 'lifetime' fluids just mean the lifetime of the component is shorter, and the manufacturer gets to sell parts more frequently!!! - HA.
Ok not a major task then?what was the old oil like when it came out?how do you get the new oil in through I presume a small hole?sorry for all the questions.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:27 AM

2003 SL55 AMG
Do a search on this or BenzWorld for replacing supercharger oil. Not difficult, but it is small hole. I used an extractor to draw the old oil out, and to refill. Extractors are essentially like a grease gun in that they are a cylinder about 3" in diameter with a plunger. A Tygon tube or rubber hose attaches to a nipple on the front, and that gets inserted into the small hole.

The old oil (11 years and 48K miles) was pretty dirty and smelled fairly bad. Some who have done it said theirs smelled horribly!

Last edited by kittyandgary; 01-28-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:00 PM

Sl55amg
Great ok thanks for info and advice.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:10 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Tools are your friend

Just did my supercharger oil change.
You MUST have a 5mm BALL END Allen wrench to do this easily. Otherwise you will dread this task, and likely fail.
Put a rag under the fill hole to keep your mess tidy.
I used a 30cc syringe and about 12" of vinyl tubing maybe 3/16" OD.
When standing at the front of the engine, looking toward the rear, you will find the fill hole at the lower right of the supercharger pulley.
You need to push the tubing inward, down, and to the left. That is the low point.
Suck out what you can, then squirt in Mobil Jet II Oil to fill. Quart is about $16 on eBay.
Mine used 250cc to fill.
Hardest part is getting the allen screw back in the hole threaded correctly.
That's all there is to it.

Last edited by kbob999; 01-28-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:23 PM

SL55 AMG
i own my 03 sl55 for five years now

my car only did around 30000 km drive less than 5 times a month

but due to the age of the car

i been experience few problems and i did paid a lot to fix it

but after all is a good car to drive, serious fast and fun
Old 01-29-2015, 03:27 PM

Sl55amg
Originally Posted by kbob999
Just did my supercharger oil change.
You MUST have a 5mm BALL END Allen wrench to do this easily. Otherwise you will dread this task, and likely fail.
Put a rag under the fill hole to keep your mess tidy.
I used a 30cc syringe and about 12" of vinyl tubing maybe 3/16" OD.
When standing at the front of the engine, looking toward the rear, you will find the fill hole at the lower right of the supercharger pulley.
You need to push the tubing inward, down, and to the left. That is the low point.
Suck out what you can, then squirt in Mobil Jet II Oil to fill. Quart is about $16 on eBay.
Mine used 250cc to fill.
Hardest part is getting the allen screw back in the hole threaded correctly.
That's all there is to it.
Gotcha ball end hex key
Old 01-29-2015, 04:52 PM

3-pointed star
Consider an SL600 with Renntech ECU, beats most of the modified SL55 out there plus you've got an M275 which is more reliable than the M113Ks IMHO.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:00 AM

2014 SL550
Do a search on this or BenzWorld for replacing supercharger oil. Not difficult, but it is small hole. I used an extractor to draw the old oil out, and to refill. Extractors are essentially like a grease gun in that they are a cylinder about 3" in diameter with a plunger. A Tygon tube or rubber hose attaches to a nipple on the front, and that gets inserted into the small hole.

The old oil (11 years and 48K miles) was pretty dirty and smelled fairly bad. Some who have done it said theirs smelled horribly!

I changed mine about six months ago, be careful putting the screw back in and the old oil stinks, I mean it really stinks.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:15 PM

BMW
One more thing, should I get a 2003/2004? Or spend the extra $10-15k and get a 2007-8? Is there a huge difference between features and reliability?

I heard the 07 and 08 don't have issues like ABC as much as the earlier ones.

Last edited by st3v; 01-31-2015 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:34 AM

2014 SL550
Originally Posted by st3v
One more thing, should I get a 2003/2004? Or spend the extra $10-15k and get a 2007-8? Is there a huge difference between features and reliability?

I heard the 07 and 08 don't have issues like ABC as much as the earlier ones.

I looked at an 03 and an 07 when I bought mine. I decided to pay the extra and go with the 07. As you stated, the ABC was upgraded and the 07 is a bit faster. There are a few other changes but I don't recall them.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2003 SL55
I work on my truck myself. I have help with my sl.

that said. Get it. Its an amazing vehicle.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Should I get an SL55 AMG Kompressor?