SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: I almost wrecked her

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1992 911 C4, 2008 P2 E63 AMG (gone but not forgotten), 2007 SL65 Renntech
I almost wrecked her

Driving home last night I was following a car that was driving ~15 MPH under speed limit and then slowed to about 5 MPH to turn onto an on ramp. In frustration I moved partially into on coming traffic lane to go around (nobody was coming). As it was dusk I could not see the sand and gravel that was in up the middle of the road (typical here during winter). One rear wheel on dry pavement and the other on the sand and gravel. Traction control didn't even try to save me. As we all know who drive the SL65 you do not need to step down very hard to get a decent amount of acceleration. I did not push down all that much. Next thing I know I am almost perpendicular to the guardrail of the overpass and heading towards it at a great rate of speed. The tire on the dry pavement literally had power steered the car even though the tires were pointed to go straight. I still can't believe I pulled out of it without a scratch. Kept my foot in it and hard correctional steering and it came right around. Seat felt like a trailer hitch. I might even of pooped a little.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 C300 Luxury
Wow. Glad you were able to get away without a scratch!

I totaled my C300 on black ice getting off the highway. That was very painful to get out and see the car so damaged.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
I've had the half-gravel problem before, although I wasn't accelerating quite as hard as you were. Definitely an eye opener. And I lol'd hard at the pooped at little sentence at the end.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very lucky you didn't spin out. I had a wake-up experience with my SL65 on an on-ramp with a nice long S curve. This is a well practiced curve that I used to take with reckless abandon in my M5. I'd mash the accelerator just past the first bend and watch the traction control light blink a few times - no problem.

I'd had my SL65 for just a few weeks and took the same curve. When I punched the accelerator the rear end kicked out. The pavement was dry and fortunately skid control kicked in and saved the day. I remember how violent skid control was and what a raucous the rear brakes made when they engaged.

I now keep my pedal mashing to straight roads with the front wheels pointed straight.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:53 AM

2000 S430, 2000 S500 Both Brilliant Silver!
ESP is useless. I turn it off coming up to any spirited corner and let experience handle the rest.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Turns and turbos are not a good combo. The power isn't as linear as a naturally aspirated car. When I first got my car I had a similar surprise accelerating on a turn of an on ramp, thankfully nothing happened other then a little poop like others. (Too funny not to be a copy cat LOL). I think the most predictable setup for turns is a manual transmission N/A car where you can control the amount of torque you apply to the rear tires. However, I still get a much bigger smile with a nice straight line pull from about 40-XXXmph in the 65.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by RaceHorse
Turns and turbos are not a good combo. The power isn't as linear as a naturally aspirated car. When I first got my car I had a similar surprise accelerating on a turn of an on ramp, thankfully nothing happened other then a little poop like others. (Too funny not to be a copy cat LOL). I think the most predictable setup for turns is a manual transmission N/A car where you can control the amount of torque you apply to the rear tires. However, I still get a much bigger smile with a nice straight line pull from about 40-XXXmph in the 65.
Naa Turbos & Turns are like peanut butter & chocolate! just get more seat time playing w/them around turns & you'll find the massive curbweight coupled to massive TQ creates 1 of easiest cars to simply TQ steer around any corner.. These rigs have heavy under steer, you barely need to turn the steering wheel into the turn, nearly the entire turn can be completed w/the correct amount of throttle input..

Go watch Jeremy Clarkson do exactly what I'm describing when he aggressively manhandles the SL65/S65 etc around their test track with greatest of ease.. Just hold the steering wheel firmly yet loose enough for minor corrections when attacking a single corner, all you really need is your right foot to do the steering These tactics are the basics of drifting 1 of my main passions w/these rigs...

Last edited by Thericker; 01-31-2015 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Current: C217 V12TT AMG Previously: C55 AMG, SL65 AMG
Disagree. Turbo lag/surge is much less predictable than an NA car, especially in one with an automatic transmission, and one as slow as ours.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
CL65
Besides not being a professional driver, I also don't have a camera man with an edit button for real life mistakes. An empty track to yourself with a consistent surface does not always represent real life driving. On the roads, unknown sand or gravel can put even the most seasoned driver in a bad position. Building boost and jumping into the next gear with an auto tranny can allow your wheel spin to get out of control very quickly. I'm sure on a warm sunny day with a road to myself it could be fun to play with. At slow speeds, I have intentionally got the car sideways on occasion then cry thinking of the cost of the 305 PS2s rear shoes. For me, that's much different than pushing a heavy long wheel base car in turns to where its at the point of losing traction. If you have it under control good for you, but a stick NA car is much easier to control and maintain RPMs.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I didn't say it was the EASIEST/BEST eng/trans setup car for drifting in the entire WORLD lol.. Nor did I mean it was going to be great at drifting in sand or loose gravel. Just the simple fact the Biturbo powered cars are an extremely simple fun car to TQ steer around corners, once you get some practice at it.. That being said, yes my previous heavily modded N/A 6.0 liter C6 Corvette was the smoothest/easiest/MOST predictable auto to flick around corners at will, out of ALL my previous/current cars/trucks etc. But I'm certain the N/A engine wasn't the main/only factor here, it was the ultra light curb weight too..

Believe it or not, my PREVIOUS Ford F250 4x4 N/A V10 short bed crew cab & GMC 1500 w/Centrifugal Puffer Suburban 4x4 (both had 8" suspension lifts too, but drifts were ONLY done in 2WD mode not 4WD) they were again some of the easiest most predictable autos to drift/flick around corners under complete control. Basically their little/minimal weight over the driving axles was a big part achieving this control..
Old 02-01-2015, 01:31 PM

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG, 1989 348 Challenge, 1987 Testarossa, 1992 F40, 1989 Mondial t cab, 2001 X5 4.4 Sport
Originally Posted by aeroman
Driving home last night I was following a car that was driving ~15 MPH under speed limit and then slowed to about 5 MPH to turn onto an on ramp. In frustration I moved partially into on coming traffic lane to go around (nobody was coming). As it was dusk I could not see the sand and gravel that was in up the middle of the road (typical here during winter). One rear wheel on dry pavement and the other on the sand and gravel. Traction control didn't even try to save me. As we all know who drive the SL65 you do not need to step down very hard to get a decent amount of acceleration. I did not push down all that much. Next thing I know I am almost perpendicular to the guardrail of the overpass and heading towards it at a great rate of speed. The tire on the dry pavement literally had power steered the car even though the tires were pointed to go straight. I still can't believe I pulled out of it without a scratch. Kept my foot in it and hard correctional steering and it came right around. Seat felt like a trailer hitch. I might even of pooped a little.
Good reflexes, experience and a little luck doesn't hurt either! Well done!

I had a bit of a moment a few years back in a Ferrari, very acute on ramp and cold tires. I had forgotten that the turn was much sharper than 90 degrees and as I tried to turn in a bit more, I quickly found myself oversteering and pointed at some very serious concrete. Fortunately, no traffic, a flick of the wrist and some throttle took care of the issue and it was a non event.

Most of they beginners I've instructed over the years would lift in that situation, which would have caused trailing throttle oversteer and made things worse. In those situations the gas is your friend!
Old 02-05-2015, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts
SL55, ML500 & Acura TL
Originally Posted by VMAX7
ESP is useless. I turn it off coming up to any spirited corner and let experience handle the rest.
Keep in mind ESP off is never really off. ESP off means no killing of the TB, but the brakes will still stab at the tire losing traction to try and keep the beast pointed down the track or street. ESP off also still means ABS is working. Dyno mode is the only real ESP off mode and it comes with its own set of issues like limp mode if you stay in it too long. I almost always run in ESP off mode.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:55 PM

Yes I know. Unfortunately the '00 cars dont have dyno mode, so no crazy smoky burnouts for me BUT ive put her deep sideways through a couple of on track scenarios.

Brakes didnt cut in as abrupt as ive expected but with it on, brakes and throttle cut is ridiculous/horrendous/stupendous/snuffalopagous.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:57 PM

Oh the brakes, the brakes are marvelous! You know how badass a car is based on its factory brake setup.