SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2005 Changes: what I heard from my dealer....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 11:37 AM
BD1
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Changes: what I heard from my dealer....

Here is what I heard from my dealer. He was reading from a sheet he received from MB. (This is US).

DVD based command system

Slight changes to the center console for new command system

New interior color: Nappa Black leather (he said there is no additional cost for this option)

Sound system upgrade

F1 shifters (on SL500)

No mention of new front end

That is all I got so far. No mention of new wheel options, etc. US dealers will have more info in 2-4 weeks once they can input 2005 orders into the system. I am being told 2005 production starts with a build in June for July/early August delivery.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:21 PM

I'm interested to see what the new sound system is like. There were rumours that it could have a Bang & Olufsen system. I think that would be a first for them on a car. Anyway, hope it sounds good!
Old 04-04-2004, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
B&O is all about style over substance, some aluminium here, some glass there, based mainly around Philips internals, so I would not be hugely impressed by a change in that direction.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by blueSL
B&O is all about style over substance, some aluminium here, some glass there, based mainly around Philips internals, so I would not be hugely impressed by a change in that direction.
Even though, anything is better than Bose which doesn't even look good. I'd rather have something like the HK option (W211, 7-Series and many others) or go the true audiophile route and either take up Nakamichi or Mark Levinson or some well reputable German brand if they want to keep with that line.

Now a days people don't just drive their cars, we live in them, we breathe them, we care for them. For the last one, give us something (another reason) to care about them for.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:21 AM

06 Infiniti FX35, 07 SL55
Im interested in the DVD Navigation system. The slight change to the center console suggests that it will have a larger screen. This also suggests, unfortunately, that it will be difficult if not impossilbe to upgrade my 2003 CD version. Unless, of course, I enlist the expertise of Steve K.

The audio upgrade is a good thing, too. I hate the Bose system and am on order to upgrade this stock system with a custom system using Dynaudio speakers and Precision Power amps. A shop in Houston has a lot of experience with doing it, and apparently, it is not easy. They pull the command and send it to some place in NY where they reprogram it to allow the customization. They didnt tell me what all goes into the reprogram, but I gather part of it is the frequency crossovers to allow three way speakers. I have heard their work and it is a thousand time better than stock. They also Dynamat the whole interior, put the subs in the passenger footwell, the amps in the trunk. Its not cheap.

Paul