SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: How to turn off Tele Aid via MB Star DAS ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
How to turn off Tele Aid via MB Star DAS ?

My wife has been driving a 2004 SL55 AMG since 2005. She has put up with this same nuisance for 12 years because she loves the car so much. Alas, it has 90K miles on it and I finally talked her into buying a new replacement car.

While trying to sell this SL55, only asking $16K, people are completely turned off by the SOS Telematics displayed in front of them on the display. Long story short, the telephone was ripped out of the center console before we bought the car. We cannot get rid of the red light near the rear view mirror or the SOS on the display. The dealership wants $thousands$ to repair the telephone module, which is of no use anyway because it is an outdated system. We also purchased an extended Mercedes warranty in 2005, but the repairs on the stolen cellphone were not covered. Our insurance company would not cover the repairs since the dealership had records proving the destruction happened before we purchased the vehicle.

I have become convinced there is nobody with enough knowledge about use of the Star DAS to help us disable this antequated system. The only thing most people are interested in is how to lower their car to look cool.

Last edited by grizfish; 02-28-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:33 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
all you have to do is go into the instrument cluster in star and change the telephone to 'not present.' as far as the teleaid, the version on the 04 is analog which is not compatible with the current digital system. MB can either upgrade this to the digital system, or the dealer can go into STAR and tell the car to totally disable it. It requires the customer signing a form okaying it to be done. Neither one of these procedures are rocket science and are both extremely easy to do.

an sl55, if in good shape, is a ridiculous buy at the 16k you are asking.
The following users liked this post:
grizfish (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 02:09 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 SL65 AMG, 04 S600
Most cars have it in the Instrument Cluster, go to adaptations and look around for teleaid/telephone, set it to not present.

Cars that don't have it in the instrument cluster, have this option stored in the Central Gateway.
The following users liked this post:
grizfish (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 11:34 AM

2004 SL55 AMG
Thanks for the info. Pardon the delay getting back to you.
I agree that the price is too low and really have not advertised it for sale yet. Need to take photos. This car is in better than good condition. I will be working on the center console latch and telephone fault (SOS) display. It has a clean Carfax and records are available of regular maintenance by Silver Star Mercedes in Thousand Oaks, CA from 2005 at 11K miles up to recently at a bit over 80K miles.

There are zero defects except for where a thief ripped open the center console lid and stole the cell phone along with it's wiring. No door dings. The top, ABC system, and drivetrain are in perfect operating condition, which is unusual for a 13 year old SL55. The alcantara and leather interior have no marks, rips, or tears.

The ABC pump was recently replaced, not because it failed to pump, but because it was leaking. About a year ago one of the accumulators went bad and all four were replaced. No problems since. Recent engine oil and filter change and ABC hydraulic oil and filter replaced. Did not use Rodeo to circulate the fluid because I believe it puts undue stress on the seals and gaskets. Just raised and lowered using the interior buttons and flushed into a container until fluid came out clean. So that makes 2 recycles of ABC fluid and filter in 2 years.

On further investigation and close inspection of other SL55s in SoCal in the past few days, I am convinced that a sale price of $22,500 will get it sold long before my wife's new car arrives from Germany. It has a March build date.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:19 PM

2004 SL55 AMG
Thanks to Carguy and Dudmd for their help, but my DAS system tells me the telephone module is already listed as not present.

Still getting SOS on the dash and a warning to take the car for repair. This comes up every time the car is turned on and flipping to another page gets it out of sight. The bright red SOS light near the rear view mirror will not go out, ever.

My solution is to remove the red light and sell the car. Dealer suggests replacing the ripped out phone circuit, but I absolutely refuse to give them big $$ to replace a useless unit.

There has to be an easy fix for this problem, but the stealership doesn't make any money that way.

Good-by. I've wasted enough time trying to gain information on this website.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 SL65 AMG, 04 S600
Post a picture of the message you're getting.
The telephone option is not what you need to code to not present, it's the tele-aid option. It's either in the instrument cluster adaptations or central gateway, depending on the car.
This is not a website, it's a forum. Information can go both ways, with Xentry, you would be surprised of the amount of things I can do, remove, recode, delete,etc.