SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: can a bad battery cause the ABC drive safely to come up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 sl55 amg
can a bad battery cause the ABC drive safely to come up

drove my car for 2 trips to work and back.My job is 20 miles from home the first one on my way to work the ABC drive safely came up for a quick second and did not come back on.coming home from work it was all good. i didn't drive that car for 2 days and then took it to work again and the ABC drive safely warning came on again but this time for most of the trip and was still on when I got to work. when having to come home the warning wasn't there so I drove it home and it came up 3 times on the trip home but only for quick seconds each time. my recognition car let me in but wouldn't start the car and the time the warning was on most of the trip didn't start right away even with the key no turn over so I'm thinking battery i did check the fluids and they were fine so I just want to see if I'm on the right track with the battery and which one would it most likely be the front one or the one in the trunk?
Old 11-05-2017, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
It shouldn't, but these cars are quite sensitive to battery/voltage problems.

Have the car scanned properly, the warnings should set codes, and it may be something simple like an acceleration sensor causing the problem, or it could be a pressure drop issue due to failed accumulators or a weak pump. Do you only get the warnings over big bumps in the road?
Old 11-05-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Mercedes SL63 AMG; Mercedes E63 AMG S 4matic; Mercedes C43 AMG; Mercedes S Class, Mercedes GLK
I have had this warning come on directly related to weak battery. I make a practice of putting a charger on once a month (or so) to keep the battery fully charged.