SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Best 550-600BHP Power Package?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 01:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes SL55 AMG
Talking Best 550-600BHP Power Package?

Hey Guys

I have a stock SL55 with resonator delete. I have the common problem of power loss from the Supercharger shutting off due to Heat Issues so definitely looking for a cooling upgrade in addition to a pulley and ECU tune.

Whats the best brand you suggest?

I haave heard of Renntech/Kleemann/VRP/Eurocharged/ECUTuningGroup?

Any Reviews and suggestions? Also looking for a bang for the buck option as the car is almost 13 Years old now.

Thanks
Old 02-20-2018, 09:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
If you haven't replaced the Bosch intercooler pump you should probably check for it's output. Low output could be causing the heat problem. I have the Eurocharged supercharger pulley, belt wrap kit, and ECU tune on my '03 SL55. Very pleased, as it's drivability is still very good, and the acceleration is excellent. I put in a new Bosch pump when I made those changes. I suspect around 550 hp, but have never had it on a dyno.

Good luck,

Gary
Old 02-20-2018, 10:05 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
I can help with any power mods you need and even offer package discounts.

Just send me a pm!
Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
the sl55 has much better cooling than the e55. its best to add a 2nd heat exchanger and not remove the original. i believe weistec is the only one that is plug and play for the sl55 and all the rest will require modification. i bought a zzp heat exchanger for mine designed for a cobalt that was way less money. there is a thread of someone else that did the same detailing the mods necessary to make it work.

if you want to increase power by 50-100hp your best bet is:
MBH longtube headers
83mm pulley with belt wrap
82mm TB
tune

the 83mm pulley will NOT require additional cooling especially if you are reducing restriction/heat by putting on the MBH. there are many people who ran faster track times with a less aggressive pulley than those with a 77mm supercharger pulley which is the equivalent to a 180mm crank pulley. i'd also suggest as preventative maintence getting 550 injectors (the factory injectors failed on both me e55 and sl55 nearly leading to catastrophic engine damage). the larger injectors will also give you a bigger safety margin.

i went with MBH instead of kleeman/eurocharged (same design though the eurocharged ones require custom made downpipes, the kleeman come with the correct ones) for a couple reasons. the mbh make twice as much power and the kleeman/eurocharged have a history of cracking, especially in the SL which doesn't have the exhaust support on the tranny like other models do. this leads to additional stress on the headers. you can put in flex pipes to solve this issue but then you are reducing power and also dealing with if not when those flex pipes collapse and have to be replaced. i wanted to do the job once and went MBH.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:08 AM

Mercedes SL55 AMG
Thanks for the replies guys.

I am considering one of these "Power Packages" that includes all the equipment in one pack.

VRP seems like decent value but they are very recent and dont have any proof of Dyno charts/Gains and extensive forum user feedback.

Eurocharged has good feedback but is 2x the cost.

Any reviews of VRP or Eurocharged power packs?
The following users liked this post:
VictoryRoadPerformance (02-24-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 08:54 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by sl558888

I am considering one of these "Power Packages" that includes all the equipment in one pack.

VRP seems like decent value but they are very recent and dont have any proof of Dyno charts/Gains and extensive forum user feedback.

message me with what you need, I'll hook you up
Old 02-23-2018, 03:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
I worked with Eurocharged in Toronto and was very happy with the results. I think I am right on the money with 550 hp to 560hp and over 620 ft/lbs of torque in my ride (see my signature). I can barely hook the car up stock, now it is crazy powerful and my tune is mild compared to most people on this forum. I think 83 mm pulley, belt wrap kit, ECU and TCU (didn't notice a bunch of difference but its winter here in Vancouver and haven't really been able to open it up or drive aggressively. Its been unusually cold here. the TCU is inexpensive too so just do it), and I may go headers. I wish I could do the shorty headers but I can see them cracking with the amount of torque these motors push. Maybe the guys at Eurocharged can chime in on this. I think this would put you close to 600 hp. Pretty awesome for the cost and a car that is over 10 years old.

Good luck!

Shaun
Old 02-24-2018, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 392 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
We have the Most comprehensive packages at the best price,

We can customize your kit with exactly what you want and we have everything in stock and always ready to ship.

We use the same or better components as many other companies and offer ALOT of products that no one else can.

We will tell you What we recommend and WHY we recommend it.

Im sure youve already seen them, but the power packages can be found here.
http://vrpspeed.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=60_118
Old 02-27-2018, 12:01 AM

2014 CLA45 AMG
VRP power package

Originally Posted by sl558888

Hi there, I actually have a VRP package that you might be considering on my 2003 SL 55. You can email or pm me if you want specifics. I did everything with VRP and used Eurotune. I've modified a ton of cars. You don't need to be "hooked up" just get the VRP power package that works for you, I'm 100% satisfied. I actually was so impressed I did the same kit for my 2006 E55. I'm pushing over 550 HP and put 305's on the back and can still smoke them easy. No problem. I'm going to get the dyno done soon, I'll post it and let VRP post it as well. Should be pretty cool. ☺

Let me know if you have any questions..
Old 12-10-2023, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 55 AMG
Pulley size

Originally Posted by kittyandgary
If you haven't replaced the Bosch intercooler pump you should probably check for it's output. Low output could be causing the heat problem. I have the Eurocharged supercharger pulley, belt wrap kit, and ECU tune on my '03 SL55. Very pleased, as it's drivability is still very good, and the acceleration is excellent. I put in a new Bosch pump when I made those changes. I suspect around 550 hp, but have never had it on a dyno.

Good luck,

Gary
Hi Gary, what size of the pully are you using now?
Thanks, Daniel.
Old 12-10-2023, 03:02 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by KebHund
Hi Gary, what size of the pully are you using now?
Thanks, Daniel.
------------------------------------------------
Daniel,
I looked at my records, and I do not have any info on the pulley size. If I recall correctly (always a question at my 86 year age), Eurocharge had two different size pulleys available at that time. I chose the 'least' performance one, not the smaller of their two offerings. Sorry I can't be more specific. It's just been too long since I made that modification for the RAM between my ears to store that data!!
It was a nice improvement, however. Since the supercharger was going to be rotating a bit faster, I drained and refilled the supercharger oil when I did mine. It uses a Mobil 1 jet engine oil as I recall.
Best wishes,
Gary