SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: R230 custom carplay / android auto

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R230
R230 custom carplay / android auto

Hello, so I have been planning on upgrading the head unit in the car. Unfortunately I don’t like anything on the market at the moment and as such have decided to have my own unit built. I was just wondering if anyone else would be interested? It’s not going to be cheap. (Around £1500) but it is a 10.2” captive screen all glass here is what it’ll look like when ready..

Still have a lot of development work going on, but hopefully will be available for more models in the future... just let me know if interested, (no commitments). Thank you
Old 04-13-2018, 03:49 AM

SL 350
What would the spec be of these? Would it fit into a 2004 R230?
Old 04-13-2018, 08:48 AM

R230
Yes, mine was originally ntg1 2002 Bose navigation. I upgraded it to ntg2.5 HK, now want to go a step further.. I will add specs as they are finalised.. only thing I can confirm so far is that it will be a gorilla glass, multitouch display.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:30 PM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2008 CL550
What will be the difference between yours and what we can already purchase through Seicane? They offer an Android unit that is plug and play with D2B and keeps the CAN bus integration. Can you make a unit that is more reliable and offer better customer support?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:24 PM

R230
Keeping the can integration is something I will be doing. This is just mainly done to add carplay and android auto

as the market moves forwards. Plan is to have a interface similar to MBUX, as Mercedes is using in the newer cars
Old 06-07-2018, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 SL500
Originally Posted by 57staff
What will be the difference between yours and what we can already purchase through Seicane? They offer an Android unit that is plug and play with D2B and keeps the CAN bus integration. Can you make a unit that is more reliable and offer better customer support?
Seicane does not offer a compatible radio for D2B systems. Not only that, but their "plug n play" requires you to hack up the amplifier plug!
Old 06-09-2018, 10:35 AM

SL55 AMG 2003 V-Max
Originally Posted by tcalef
Seicane does not offer a compatible radio for D2B systems. Not only that, but their "plug n play" requires you to hack up the amplifier plug!
I would say it does, I have it in my SL, but you have to set the D2B box that came with the unit to S-class. If you set it to SL there is some miss match on the steering wheel buttons. I have not yet had the time to try the Android auto compability. You have to replace the Bose Amp, thats easy, all terminal position info is avalable here if you do some search, I fitted a 400Watts Pioneer amp and used the built in amp for the front center and the rear speakers and it sounds greate.

Last edited by lagolag; 06-09-2018 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:23 AM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
R230
We might be interested, but the price is a bit high. Is that the final estimate?
Old 06-27-2018, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55
I'm interested. Subscribing to this thread.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
SL65 AMG
Count me in for this if it comes to fruition.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:03 PM

W211 55AMG / r170 32AMG
I want to know the current status of the production.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:32 PM

R230
hello, still working on the interface coding. i have managed to find to same software mercedes have used to create MBUX. so working on that. and developing the platform to work from a app along with a virtual cockpit.

so from one headunit, development has expanded to the following:
headunit with 10.25 captive display
12.3 virtual cockpit (similar to that used in the current 2018 audi R8)
mobile app for ios

hopefully i should have some by feb 2019. that is my target to complete prototypes
Old 10-05-2018, 09:57 PM

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2003 E55, 2003 SL55, 2014 CLS63, 2018 q50 Redsport, 1968 Camaro SS, 1999 Trans am Firehawk
Originally Posted by lagolag

I would say it does, I have it in my SL, but you have to set the D2B box that came with the unit to S-class. If you set it to SL there is some miss match on the steering wheel buttons. I have not yet had the time to try the Android auto compability. You have to replace the Bose Amp, thats easy, all terminal position info is avalable here if you do some search, I fitted a 400Watts Pioneer amp and used the built in amp for the front center and the rear speakers and it sounds greate.
d2b is the protocal for the sound system used on the 03/04 and is looped between the teleaid, amp, headunit, and cd changer. 05+ used the MOST fiberoptic system for these items. there has never been and likely never will be any converter or any headunit compatible with d2b since most cars that used it are now getting up there in age and there were so few built its just doesnt make economic sense (there are now several MOST plug and play adapters though). what you are describing is a CANBUS box, which is a different system that is used for other communications in the car, such as the steering wheel controls.
The following users liked this post:
lagolag (01-29-2019)
Old 10-23-2018, 01:59 PM

SL550
I would be interested
Old 10-23-2018, 07:26 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 SL55 Completely Built Motor
I'd be very interested in this if it ends up being completely plug and play.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:15 PM

Received 286 Likes on 112 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2017 AMG GTS - 2015 AMG S65
February 2019

Originally Posted by Ovella
hello, still working on the interface coding. i have managed to find to same software mercedes have used to create MBUX. so working on that. and developing the platform to work from a app along with a virtual cockpit.

so from one headunit, development has expanded to the following:
headunit with 10.25 captive display
12.3 virtual cockpit (similar to that used in the current 2018 audi R8)
mobile app for ios

hopefully i should have some by feb 2019. that is my target to complete prototypes
I'm interested for my 2007 SL and February is about the right time for me.
Keep me posted
Old 01-25-2019, 07:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Count me in on high interest level as well. 2005 SL500.

Any progress as of 1/25/2019? :-)

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2019, 07:51 PM

SL55 AMG
I am also interested please update on any progress. Thank you
Old 02-28-2019, 05:23 AM

2011 SL550
What’s the status of the build?
Old 03-01-2019, 10:13 AM

R230
Sorry, still a work in progress. It is a software development as well as hardware. I will update when things are actually working.
kind regards
Old 03-01-2019, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Get satellite radio installed and not the app and I'm in.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 MB SL55AMG
fitment for 2007 sl55 amg ?

if works on 2007 i would be interested too
Old 03-14-2019, 07:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2004 SL500
Successful installation of Seicane Android 8.0 in 2004 SL500

(Sorry for the length) I racked my brain over the decision to buy this unit from Seicane and eventually decided that the original headunit in all of its glory was just not enough for me. I received the new head unit and at first glance was very pleased with the overall appearance and original look.
I got everything set up on a Saturday morning to install it and after removing center console and many of the molding pieces to remove the stereo I thought “ok it is all or nothing at this point”. I removed the original head unit with relative ease and when I looked at the connectors from the original unit and tried to match them up with the cables provided by Seicane I was underwhelmed at best. The only one that looked to be a fit was the one that provides power, ground, and ac power. At further review I saw the connector for the CANBUS adapter was good from a pin alighnment perspective however the casing was just a bit small in some areas to fit the original plug. I am not one to be defeated very easily so I grabbed my file and went to town a bit on the original connector which took me 10 min to make it fit properly. (Can provide drawing if anyone needs it).
Ok now I had power, CANBUS, and antena connections I was ready to tackle speakers. As mentioned already d2b fiber was only in the early models of the SL R230 line (I think 2002 through 2004). As luck would have it there is no plug and play module available so I knew I was in for replacing or bipassubg the original amp. Of course the long 6 foot cable that Seicane sent with the unit was meant for this purpose however none of the connectors they put on matched up with anything in the car so once again I was stuck with having to figure out a solution. After many hours testing options I settled on running my own fabricated 14gage wire for all 8 speaker outputs. I found that the connector for the speakers on the Seicane had prongs that fit a small female Alison connector really well so I bought a bunch of those and put 8 of them on that end to connect my speaker wire to the head unit (sounds ghetto but trust me it actually is pretty good and after connecting them all up and running cables I taped it up to ensure nothing came lose). So after temporarily connecting the other ends of the speaker wires to the connector that once went in the original amp (behind drivers seat under cubby) I was able to test and see what it sounded like. Not terrible but certainly not what we are used to as the original Bose system sounded pretty good but only powering 4 of the 8 speakers (one being the sub). I decided to get a 4 channel amp from Best Buy (kicker was the brand). I tested by connecting power off of the power wire on the original amp plug ( I will add an attachment of the port map of that connector.. not a great picture but can type it up if anyone needs it), once I was able to test with the amp and the sound was fantastic I ran the 5 rca cables from the head unit to the amp location and then connected everything up so that the amp would reside in the little cubby now that the 10disc CD player was no longer needed. I essentially powered the two door tweeters, the front center speaker, and the rear speakers (which are tied to gether so only one cable) from the head unit and then tied the sub and two door mid speakers to the amp. After all of that and running the cables nice it is AWESOME.
The head unit itself is really great as it is completely customizable and since I purchased both the car play USB adapter and the ODBII connector I also have CarPlay for my iPhone and real-time engine stats dials as needed.
I would encourage anyone who is a DYI’er to give it a shot and I don’t mind offering any help I can to assist you in your journey. I was quoted $3500 to have this done and it cost me a weekend (some undue stress because I had to figure it all out as there are no real instructions anywhere) but it ended up costing me abou $700 for everything. Ping me if you need asssistance and we can arrange to talk off line.

The following 4 users liked this post by Krasics:
DJW17 (03-09-2021), Hunter McDonald (04-29-2019), PatPend (07-23-2019), scnc96 (08-27-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 12:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by Krasics
(Sorry for the length) I racked my brain over the decision to buy this unit from Seicane and eventually decided that the original headunit in all of its glory was just not enough for me. I received the new head unit and at first glance was very pleased with the overall appearance and original look.
I got everything set up on a Saturday morning to install it and after removing center console and many of the molding pieces to remove the stereo I thought “ok it is all or nothing at this point”. I removed the original head unit with relative ease and when I looked at the connectors from the original unit and tried to match them up with the cables provided by Seicane I was underwhelmed at best. The only one that looked to be a fit was the one that provides power, ground, and ac power. At further review I saw the connector for the CANBUS adapter was good from a pin alighnment perspective however the casing was just a bit small in some areas to fit the original plug. I am not one to be defeated very easily so I grabbed my file and went to town a bit on the original connector which took me 10 min to make it fit properly. (Can provide drawing if anyone needs it).
Ok now I had power, CANBUS, and antena connections I was ready to tackle speakers. As mentioned already d2b fiber was only in the early models of the SL R230 line (I think 2002 through 2004). As luck would have it there is no plug and play module available so I knew I was in for replacing or bipassubg the original amp. Of course the long 6 foot cable that Seicane sent with the unit was meant for this purpose however none of the connectors they put on matched up with anything in the car so once again I was stuck with having to figure out a solution. After many hours testing options I settled on running my own fabricated 14gage wire for all 8 speaker outputs. I found that the connector for the speakers on the Seicane had prongs that fit a small female Alison connector really well so I bought a bunch of those and put 8 of them on that end to connect my speaker wire to the head unit (sounds ghetto but trust me it actually is pretty good and after connecting them all up and running cables I taped it up to ensure nothing came lose). So after temporarily connecting the other ends of the speaker wires to the connector that once went in the original amp (behind drivers seat under cubby) I was able to test and see what it sounded like. Not terrible but certainly not what we are used to as the original Bose system sounded pretty good but only powering 4 of the 8 speakers (one being the sub). I decided to get a 4 channel amp from Best Buy (kicker was the brand). I tested by connecting power off of the power wire on the original amp plug ( I will add an attachment of the port map of that connector.. not a great picture but can type it up if anyone needs it), once I was able to test with the amp and the sound was fantastic I ran the 5 rca cables from the head unit to the amp location and then connected everything up so that the amp would reside in the little cubby now that the 10disc CD player was no longer needed. I essentially powered the two door tweeters, the front center speaker, and the rear speakers (which are tied to gether so only one cable) from the head unit and then tied the sub and two door mid speakers to the amp. After all of that and running the cables nice it is AWESOME.
The head unit itself is really great as it is completely customizable and since I purchased both the car play USB adapter and the ODBII connector I also have CarPlay for my iPhone and real-time engine stats dials as needed.
I would encourage anyone who is a DYI’er to give it a shot and I don’t mind offering any help I can to assist you in your journey. I was quoted $3500 to have this done and it cost me a weekend (some undue stress because I had to figure it all out as there are no real instructions anywhere) but it ended up costing me abou $700 for everything. Ping me if you need asssistance and we can arrange to talk off line.
This needs to be a new thread and could you add photos of your setup??
Old 03-20-2019, 10:40 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
R230
Originally Posted by Krasics
Does your radio work. All Chinese Android units have horrible reception. We have one in ml63 and I hate it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: R230 custom carplay / android auto