SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Trunk slamming back when opening the convertible top

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 E63S AMG
Trunk slamming back when opening the convertible top

Hello fellow members. I have discussed this with SoCal55 and he did help but I have lost the pic he sent me. What happens when I put down the convertible top, the trunk slams back when it opens. I have seen other tops open and the trunk comes to a smooth stop and then closes after the roof is tucked away. So I was sent the pic but lost it. Is there a stop on the struts on the trunk? I don't think this is a strut issue because the trunk can stay open no problem. Any help or pics of where the stop is supposed to be would be helpful. SoCal, can you dig it up if you read this?

Cheers!

Shaun
Old 04-20-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 64 Likes on 63 Posts
2007 SL55
Originally Posted by PoCoAMG
Hello fellow members. I have discussed this with SoCal55 and he did help but I have lost the pic he sent me. What happens when I put down the convertible top, the trunk slams back when it opens. I have seen other tops open and the trunk comes to a smooth stop and then closes after the roof is tucked away. So I was sent the pic but lost it. Is there a stop on the struts on the trunk? I don't think this is a strut issue because the trunk can stay open no problem. Any help or pics of where the stop is supposed to be would be helpful. SoCal, can you dig it up if you read this?

Cheers!

Shaun
Sounds like your trunk latch mechanism needs replacing. It has a soft close feature. I have replaced this at the dealer due to a similar issue, although I am having difficulty understanding the wording in your post "trunk slams back". Does the trunk pop back open or does it just slams shut? Either way, it sounds like it is the latch mechanism.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32

item 320 is the damper
Originally Posted by PoCoAMG

Cheers!

Shaun
there is a gas strut that dampens this movement. It is in the panel between the tailights (closer to the right taillight. I suspect is has failed
https://www.ebay.com/p/Stabilus-Trun...36/14005031173

Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 04-20-2018 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:05 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
2008 CL550
That is a pretty cheap strut and pretty easy to replace. AutoHausAZ has these. I changed mine when I did the trunk struts.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:53 PM

2018 E63S AMG
Hey guys thank you. NorCal (sorry man was calling you SoCal) I had the trunk latch repaired and fixed with Gorilla Glue. It opens and closes fine (soft close) when I am opening the top but the trunk itself slams back when it is opening up. NorCal you showed me a pic of a stop on one of the struts that may stop it before it slams back. I am going to look into what Chris and 57staff have advised. I will get a new dampener ior at least check it out...

Thanks very much.

Shaun
Old 04-23-2018, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 228 Likes on 172 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
My understanding has always been that this particular dampener should be replaced as preventive maintenance as it shields the other mechanism drive components from undue stress as the trunk is going up-and-down to retract the top. In other words buy it, put it in ... if it doesn't solve your problem it probably needed to be replaced anyway.

cheers,
Chris
The following users liked this post:
PoCoAMG (04-23-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 05:48 PM

2018 E63S AMG
In an effort to help in the "Search" department I will give an update. The dampener did its job and the trunk no longer slams back. On an 11 year old car it does make sense to change these parts. Low cost and they help take stress from other moving parts. Thanks again everyone.

Cheers!

Shaun

P.S. Had the trunk struts replaced as well since both were leaking.. My trunk was not closing on me in the open position but thought it's cheap insurance to have them replaced..