SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Split Cooling Kit Instructions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 02:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes SL55 AMG
Smile Split Cooling Kit Instructions

Hello All,

I purchased a Split Cooling kit from VRP, which unfortunately came without any installation instructions.
I searched through numerous threads regarding the install and couldn't find any clear graphics.
Has anyone installed this, can help me out?

Below are the steps I followed:

1) Disconnect the top pipe going into the Yellow T & Close the pipe. (Pipe coming from the bottom of the existing large reservoir on the left)
2) Connect the new hose received between the new BMW reservoir and the T from where I just removed the pipe.
3) Block off the second inlet of the BMW reservoir with a cap and secure the new reservoir with a mount.

After following this, the service advisor at the dealership noted that the closed off pipe was getting pressurized with air/fluid and adding back pressure and he was a little uncomfortable with the setup. I too was not confident if I had done it right because I did not have too much information/instructions.
Can anyone shed some light If I did it the right way?

Thanks,

Old 07-31-2018, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Originally Posted by sl558888
Hello All,

I purchased a Split Cooling kit from VRP, which unfortunately came without any installation instructions.
I searched through numerous threads regarding the install and couldn't find any clear graphics.
Has anyone installed this, can help me out?

Below are the steps I followed:

1) Disconnect the top pipe going into the Yellow T & Close the pipe. (Pipe coming from the bottom of the existing large reservoir on the left)
2) Connect the new hose received between the new BMW reservoir and the T from where I just removed the pipe.
3) Block off the second inlet of the BMW reservoir with a cap and secure the new reservoir with a mount.

After following this, the service advisor at the dealership noted that the closed off pipe was getting pressurized with air/fluid and adding back pressure and he was a little uncomfortable with the setup. I too was not confident if I had done it right because I did not have too much information/instructions.
Can anyone shed some light If I did it the right way?

Thanks,
this is how I have done it ...

remove "4-way" between yellow circled T (in your pic) and tank.
replace with a "straight thru" and a "t" see pics
run hose from "t" to BMW tank (plug other port on BMW tank as you did).

remove "T" in vent line (in your red circle) replace with "straight thru"
attach removed vent line removed from "T" to the BMW tank
Mount BMW tank so that there is 1/2" of more of air space (for light expansion) above water line

hope that helps,
Chris

The following users liked this post:
Essell55mb (07-31-2018)