SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: KC Install on SL55 Experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
KC Install on SL55 Experience?

I'm considering installing a Killer Chiller on my 06 SL55, and plan to also install split cooling and the better Bosch IC pump.

Where have others installed the KC heat exchanger (R134/IC coolant)? - I located an install video using room where the SL's start battery is located (so that won't work)

The split cooling kit (with the BMW reservoir) doesn't add much capacity to the IC loop - have others installed a larger under hood reservoir? I'm not sure what size would fit, or if one would be required to just make a couple pulls (I was thinking a gallon, or so).
Old 12-16-2018, 10:10 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
2005 SL55 Completely Built Motor
Crawl under the car and check if you have 010 Bosch pump. Chances are you might have it if anyone ever had work done to it. Split Cooling will probably be fine for a couple pulls unless your dealing with a climate like Arizona heat or your getting really serious moving forward with dragging the car.

Personally I won't mess with the chiller system unless your really into tracking(not sure why you'd choose this car) or dragging it multiple nights through out the year. If your looking to just go to the the drag track once or twice a year for fun, split cooling will probably do just fine for you and you can spend that money on other go fast parts.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:35 AM

SL55
Staged approach.

Thanks, my plan is to split the IC system first and confirm/install the 010 pump.

Splitting the system includes installing a separate reservoir, and the kits come with a BMW P/S reservoir that isn’t very large. My thought was to install a somewhat larger reservoir in case I later install a KC.

I plan to install a 77/76 mm SC pulley (with tune) and do not want this performance to be “washed out” by IAT / soak back.

i don’t plan to install an air / IC coolant heat exchanger or large remote coolant tank - I’d rather install a KC.

With any luck, I my IATs won’t need to be further chilled (for my use), my main thought was to install a larger reservoir when I split the systems (not to want a larger reservoir later, if I installed a KC)
Old 12-16-2018, 06:18 PM

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2006 E55, 2006 SL55, 2006 LS7 Ute
Unless you monitor the temp of the SC cooling water when using a KC you don't really know what is happening. An air to water heat exchanger will only ever get the SC coolant down to several degrees above ambient. With a KC and deletion of the heat exchanger my SC coolant is always below ambient, up to 20 deg C below ambient on a hot day. Even after a hard pull the tank water stays below ambient temp.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:32 PM

SL55
Split Tank Cooling Reservoir Size

Thanks, yes I plan to use the Torque app to monitor IC inlet temperature.

If the resulting temps are too high for full performance I will install a KC.

At WOT A/C is turned off (no chill), I’d like my reservoir to be “right sized” to have a large enough capacity for my needs - but no more (recovery, size, weight).

I guess I can start with the “BMW” tank and increase if required - if need be. I could also determine the flow rate and then size for the desired flow of cold fluid.

There doesn’t seem to be much room under the hood. I could mount the KC low near the IC pump (I guess, I haven’t looked).