SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Pulley AC clutch upgrade questions need help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL 55 AMG
Pulley AC clutch upgrade questions need help!!!

I recently purchased a 2008 SL55 AMG with 108K miles, was driving down some surface streets and when slowing down for a stop light I heard a light slapping sound from under the hood. Upon acceleration, I heard a metal clanking sound.that went away after a few seconds. I pulled over and one of the belts was shredded, the double idler pulley destroyed, and the AC clutch pulley in pieces on the shroud pan.

I have been told by the dealership that the AC clutch is only sold with the AC compressor and the package is around 900-1100 for the parts and an estimated 7 hr job. I have found clutches on ebay for $40-60, wondering if i can use that with the existing compressor and save some in parts and labor, and also looking for advice on the AC if i should instead buy the whole AC Compressor/Clutch kit or go with an after market kit.

In regards to the idler pulley, was quoted about $650 at a Mercedes dealership for the damaged double idler pulley. I have seen some aftermarket billet kits for 5 all metal pulleys for around $500, so was wondering if anyone had any suggestions whether to look for OEM or possibly an upgraded all metal kit.

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2019, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mb,2,porsche 911
Originally Posted by thetz777
I recently purchased a 2008 SL55 AMG with 108K miles, was driving down some surface streets and when slowing down for a stop light I heard a light slapping sound from under the hood. Upon acceleration, I heard a metal clanking sound.that went away after a few seconds. I pulled over and one of the belts was shredded, the double idler pulley destroyed, and the AC clutch pulley in pieces on the shroud pan.

I have been told by the dealership that the AC clutch is only sold with the AC compressor and the package is around 900-1100 for the parts and an estimated 7 hr job. I have found clutches on ebay for $40-60, wondering if i can use that with the existing compressor and save some in parts and labor, and also looking for advice on the AC if i should instead buy the whole AC Compressor/Clutch kit or go with an after market kit.

In regards to the idler pulley, was quoted about $650 at a Mercedes dealership for the damaged double idler pulley. I have seen some aftermarket billet kits for 5 all metal pulleys for around $500, so was wondering if anyone had any suggestions whether to look for OEM or possibly an upgraded all metal kit.

Thanks!
Get the aftermarket pulley kit- VRP in VA. Has a good 5pc.kit, easy install and I’ll guess the clutch will work for you too.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 G55 AMG (current), 2004 SL55 AMG (sold), 2006 E55 AMG (sold)
Originally Posted by thetz777

Thanks!
​​​​​​What path did you end up going with the AC compressor clutch pulley. Did you use the eBay kit?