SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Question regarding convertible top functionality after body shop repair.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
Question regarding convertible top functionality after body shop repair.

I received my car back from a body shop after being rear ended. They removed the rear bumper to repair and paint the bumper.
I took the car to the shop and the top was functioning perfectly both down and up. I closed the top while in their parking lot.
When I got the car back, the weather wasn't great.
A week later, I went to put the top down and it wouldn't function whatsoever.
I looked in the trunk and the clown at the shop had busted the plastic moldings on both sides of the inner trunk by the taillights. Upon further inspection, there was a plug that wasn't connected in the trunk, just in front of the right taillight.
I plugged that back together and the flaps started flopping around as described in other posts.
I took it back to the body shop. After 4 weeks, I called to see what was going on and they said it was going into Mercedes in a few days.
I just had a call from the body shop manager saying that I have to pay for the repairs at Mercedes as the roof had never been lubricated and their shop did nothing wrong. The bill is for $700.
Frankly I am livid. I am going to pick up the car in the next week.
Can anyone please confirm if they are scamming me and wether trying to move the top with that plug unplugged would cause this malfunction.
Much appreciated.