SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: ABC issue. First post in the forum

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda
ABC issue. First post in the forum

Hello all, first post on the forum. and yes, ABC issue here.

I took it to a local MB dealer to diagnose the 2005 SL65. The tech marked as they found ABC fluid line leak, and indicated that ABC line supply to valve block behind left front wheel. seals for line and fluid filter. I wanted to know just how serious this issue may be. The dealer that I bought it from said all sales are final. (A MB dealer no less) and refused to work something out for me. I want to gauge on the seriousness of the issue, and if this is a must fix right away, or can it be driven for a while before I start thinking about it.

Any help or insight on this issue is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
Originally Posted by woody88
I want to gauge on the seriousness of the issue, and if this is a must fix right away...
The information you have provided is woefully insufficient for anyone to hazard a guess. The following would be helpful to know:
  • What symptoms were you experiencing that led you to the dealer?
  • At what rate is the fluid level in the ABC reservoir diminishing with the engine idling? While driving?
  • What is the physical condition of the hose which presumably is leaking?
Old 07-31-2019, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda
Originally Posted by bobterry99
The information you have provided is woefully insufficient for anyone to hazard a guess. The following would be helpful to know:
  • What symptoms were you experiencing that led you to the dealer?
  • At what rate is the fluid level in the ABC reservoir diminishing with the engine idling? While driving?
  • What is the physical condition of the hose which presumably is leaking?
Hi Bob,

Thanks for replying.
1. I took it to the dealer for post purchase inspection. The MB dealer that I bought it from said it is without issues. But I wanted to have that peace of mind. And turned out I didn't have that.
2. I have no idea. The symptom was what this other MB dealer service tech had noted on the repair estimate.
3. Again, I wish I can provide more information. But I do not have that information.

I know I may not have enough information to lean on. I didn't notice anything in particular was rather off while I am driving. But I have driven it for less than 100 miles so far, all in comfort mode with ABC not engaged, as far as I know.
Old 08-01-2019, 07:52 PM
Banned

Received 388 Likes on 307 Posts
'09 S600, (2) R129 300SLs, '03 SL500, '03 SL55
I would jack the left-front of he chassis, remove the wheel, and remove the plastic liner to expose the ABC hydraulics. Then I would evaluate this supposed leak for myself. Apart from obviously needing a jack, of course, to remove the liner you will need sockets/wrenches to loosen 10mm and 8mm fasteners.

ABC is always "engaged". If ever you are driving and you see an ABC warning in the cluster displayed against a red background, then shutoff the engine as soon as possible. Once to the side of the road check the ABC fluid reservoir to ensure that the hydraulic pump is not starved for oil. On no account allow the pump to run with no oil.
Old 08-04-2019, 11:44 PM

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
Benz
Originally Posted by woody88
Hi Bob,

Thanks for replying.
1. I took it to the dealer for post purchase inspection. The MB dealer that I bought it from said it is without issues. But I wanted to have that peace of mind. And turned out I didn't have that.
2. I have no idea. The symptom was what this other MB dealer service tech had noted on the repair estimate.
3. Again, I wish I can provide more information. But I do not have that information.

I know I may not have enough information to lean on. I didn't notice anything in particular was rather off while I am driving. But I have driven it for less than 100 miles so far, all in comfort mode with ABC not engaged, as far as I know.
Where are you located? Perhaps get a second opinion from a reputable independent shop in your area. The dealers sometimes mark every tiny little thing down that often can wait for servicing.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sl55 amg
I would also agree, You should verify the leak yourself and find out exactly where it is, Maybe it could just be a replacement pipe?

From what I know of the ABC suspension I would be cautious driving, regularly check the ABC fluid level, if this drops you can start to damage the system causing more issues.

Check for lagging on each corner after the car has been parked overnight. I would say this would be expected with a leak, im sure someone else can verify