SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Smart Key in Washing Machine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2019, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 SL63 AMG
Smart Key in Washing Machine

Doing laundry the other night and when I was emptying the washer much to my dismay I found the smart key, keyless go to my 2012 SL63 AMG in the bottom of the washer. I immediately took the batteries out and placed the key in a baggie of rice to dry out. The next day I bought a new set of Panasonic batteries and put it back together. As soon as I did the alarm went off until I placed the key in the ignition. The car will start with the key in the ignition and with the key in my hand and using the keyless start on the gearshift knob. When I get out and lock the doors using the button on the door handle the alarm immediately goes off. If I press the button a second time the alarm shuts off, but when I try to re-open the door the alarm goes off again. Am I missing something having to reset the key? or reset something else? or do I need a trip to the dealer to reset things and hopefully not a new key.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
I've washed mine too and got lucky it worked after drying it out and new battery, so your works partially, worth a shot to bring to the dealer and see if a re-program will straighten it out... see if they will agree to not charge for a second reprogram if ya have to buy a new key
Old 09-07-2019, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 167 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
I would try dry cleaning next time
Old 09-08-2019, 01:38 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
MBs: SL55, GLK350
I’d take the batteries back out and leave it out to air dry or in the bag of rice again for a couple more days. It sounds like the panic button may be shorting closed causing the alarm to sound. Try pressing the panic button rapidly for a bit after it has dried further and before you put the batteries back in. Worth a shot!
The following users liked this post:
pjw1967 (09-08-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 05:28 PM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by hitwtom
Doing laundry the other night and when I was emptying the washer much to my dismay I found the smart key, keyless go to my 2012 SL63 AMG in the bottom of the washer. I immediately took the batteries out and placed the key in a baggie of rice to dry out. The next day I bought a new set of Panasonic batteries and put it back together. As soon as I did the alarm went off until I placed the key in the ignition. The car will start with the key in the ignition and with the key in my hand and using the keyless start on the gearshift knob. When I get out and lock the doors using the button on the door handle the alarm immediately goes off. If I press the button a second time the alarm shuts off, but when I try to re-open the door the alarm goes off again. Am I missing something having to reset the key? or reset something else? or do I need a trip to the dealer to reset things and hopefully not a new key.
you wouldn't need a new key even if your key is gone

just buy the same used key on ebay and have a electrician transfer the NEC chip which contains the Vin data
Old 09-09-2019, 01:00 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2004 (MY05) SL55
I've put one of my keys through the washing machine, twice! Guess I've been lucky, still works like a new one.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
volkswagen tiguan 2012
I had to buy a new smart key after the same situation. In fact, when this situation happened I wasn’t worried only about the key but also about the washing machine. This kind of washing could damage both of them. For checking the washing machine, I used articles from this website guides4homeowners.co.uk. There are really useful tips about how to use a washing machine cleaner for example or how to check the washing machine. But I didn’t find the article how to help me with the smart key and I had to buy a new one.

Last edited by Davisan; 06-22-2020 at 01:18 PM.