SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Two starter battery cells under pressure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 07:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mercedes
Two starter battery cells under pressure?

Re my 2005 SL55 AMG @60K miles:

Hey all. This weekend, after pulling in the garage after a 60-mile drive in the SL55 (normal drive, not romping on it), I smelled the ever so slightest whiff of sulfur. Hmm. Battery acid I suspected. I popped the trunk and checked the accessory battery. Nothing. So I assumed the starter battery may have burped at some point and sent the smell into the cabin through the ventilation system. I popped the hood and sniffed around. Nothing. I checked the battery vent tube. Intact and dry. I unscrewed the first cell cap. Fluid level is good. Then I opened the second cap and it depressurized with a “fsssss” sound. Never heard that before from any battery I have ever had. I also checked cells 3 through 6. Cell #5 was pressurized same as #2.

The fluid levels on all cells looked good, but why would two cells be under a small amount of pressure? There was not an inordinate amount of heat in the engine bay. FYI, the OEM Varta starter battery in question was replaced 3K miles (18 months ago) and the alternator was replaced 10K miles ago. I will check voltage soon with my Bluetooth OBD reader, but cannot get to the car today.

Any thoughts? Anyone been there, done that? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by RProsser; 02-12-2020 at 01:30 PM.