SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 04 SL55 - HELP... trans code P0705 (car wont shift out of 1st gear)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
04 SL55 - HELP... trans code P0705 (car wont shift out of 1st gear)

Hello gang - am fearing I have a big problem come up which is I'm getting a Check Engine light and code of P0705 "Transmission Range Sensor A Circuit - Park / Reverse / Neutral / Drive / Low Input" which I found using a simple Actron ODBII scanner.

The car has 72k miles and I'm the 3rd owner. Its totally stock. Been driving great until just last week when I noticed the dashboard lights for the gear started to disappear and the car wouldnt shift out of 1st gear.

it will go into Park, Drive, Reverse but once in drive it wont shift past 1st gear. I have cleared the code 3-4 times and it seems to work temporarily but am fearing I have to replace the shifter mechanism which isnt cheap (part can only be purchased from dealer and apparently requires dealer to code it to the vehicle due to security electronics in the car).

I checked the TCU in the passenger side footwell a few months back and found it was wicking trans fluid so I cleaned that up with CRC electric cleaner. Also replaced the 13 pin trans connector since it was showing leaks and I am sure it was the original.

Anyone else have this issue? Ive only found a few posts on the w203 boars about code P0705... would greatly appreciate any help if you've experienced this. I will take it to my indy repair guy in Chicago next week....
Old 08-09-2021, 06:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
your coulda shoulda HS approach will be expensive-----fault 705 is the ECU fault for an issue with the transmission--you need to scan the TCU for the specific fault and this aint done with your woopie tool--get some good help
Old 08-09-2021, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by Plutoe
your coulda shoulda HS approach will be expensive-----fault 705 is the ECU fault for an issue with the transmission--you need to scan the TCU for the specific fault and this aint done with your woopie tool--get some good help
um thank you I guess.

I realize I need MB star or xentry diagnostic on the car to get the Mb specific codes which I’ll get done shortly.

was just curious if any others have experienced this P0705 code and any feedback on that.

appreciate you responding though
Old 08-10-2021, 09:17 AM

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
Possible need to resolder connections...

Originally Posted by jvakos
um thank you I guess.

I realize I need MB star or xentry diagnostic on the car to get the Mb specific codes which I’ll get done shortly.

was just curious if any others have experienced this P0705 code and any feedback on that.

appreciate you responding though
If you are comfortable/know how to remove the shifter from the car and take it apart you can do what is done in the linked thread.
Otherwise get a new shifter from a dealer ($750-1000) that MB will deliver to you based on the VIN# you supply with proof of ownership
Than after install you need to get an actuation done

Go to post #11 https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...onization.html

Best H
Old 08-12-2021, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Originally Posted by Hendrik Koster
If you are comfortable/know how to remove the shifter from the car and take it apart you can do what is done in the linked thread.
Otherwise get a new shifter from a dealer ($750-1000) that MB will deliver to you based on the VIN# you supply with proof of ownership
Than after install you need to get an actuation done

Go to post #11 https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...onization.html

Best H
Hendrik - thanks very much for the suggestion which I may try. I drove the car today or the first time in a few days and the Check Engine light was still on but the gear shifting worked perfectly. It still had the P0705 code which I cleared and the car continued to drive perfectly.

I'm going to check my 13 pin trans connector tonight and see if for some reason there's any issues there, but I am assuming at some point that shifter mechanism needs to get replaced/repaired per your suggestion.
Old 08-16-2021, 05:11 AM

2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
A similar situation resolved yesterday...

Hendrik - thanks very much for the suggestion which I may try. I drove the car today or the first time in a few days and the Check Engine light was still on but the gear shifting worked perfectly. It still had the P0705 code which I cleared and the car continued to drive perfectly.

I'm going to check my 13 pin trans connector tonight and see if for some reason there's any issues there, but I am assuming at some point that shifter mechanism needs to get replaced/repaired per your suggestion.
I had a similar situation on hand yesterday with another SL after taking the gear shifter out of the car and taking it apart I found a very small amount of corrosive material on the reverse side of the circuit board shown in the picture. (this may have been the cause of a stray current finding it's way back to the ETM) After cleaning it off carefully with a soft wire brush followed by a tooth brush all is well again, this time there where no loose solder joints just a small amount of oxidation that bridged a gap between 2-3 solder points. So examine the circuit boards to make sure they are clean.

Last edited by Hendrik Koster; 08-16-2021 at 05:13 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
I had a similar situation on hand yesterday with another SL after taking the gear shifter out of the car and taking it apart I found a very small amount of corrosive material on the reverse side of the circuit board shown in the picture. (this may have been the cause of a stray current finding it's way back to the ETM) After cleaning it off carefully with a soft wire brush followed by a tooth brush all is well again, this time there where no loose solder joints just a small amount of oxidation that bridged a gap between 2-3 solder points. So examine the circuit boards to make sure they are clean.
Hendrick thank you again for sharing this feedback. I wish you made house calls to Chicago as I would welcome you doing this shifter fix on my SL55.

At this point, the car still has the Check Engine light on and on the initial start up the car shifter works but can only be driven in 1st gear. If i shut the car off and on 1-2 more times the dash lights up correctly showing the trans mode (S) and gear (D or R or P) and the car then seems to drive normally but clearly there is an issue.

I'll search for a DIY on how to access the shifter and take that out which I think is a bit of a tricky job but will see what i can find.... i am hoping to NOT have to take this back to the dealer to special order a new shifter that has to be VIN coded to the car and many hours of labor to install which would be my worst case scenario hopefully.... still love the car though and have zero interest to sell it
Old 08-24-2021, 10:26 PM

Things changed...

Hendrick thank you again for sharing this feedback.
I'll search for a DIY on how to access the shifter and take that out which I think is a bit of a tricky job but will see what i can find.... i am hoping to NOT have to take this back to the dealer to special order a new shifter that has to be VIN coded to the car and many hours of labor to install which would be my worst case scenario hopefully.... still love the car though and have zero interest to sell it
I just wanted to let you know that my initial repair lasted 3-4 days and the same symptoms returned so instead of spending more time to repair the board I opted to install a new VIN coded unit and all is well now. (My cost at $800 compared to spending 4-5 hours fact find and repair the old board made me go and replace it instead)

I have a lot of experience taking SL shifters out/in (but having a lift makes it fairly easy total 1-2 hrs) without a lift it is hard to do due the under car work needed.

If you are planning to do this I'll be happy to talk to you about the steps involved, feel free to send me a pm for contact information.

Best H
The following users liked this post:
jvakos (08-27-2021)
Old 01-09-2022, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
I just wanted to let you know that my initial repair lasted 3-4 days and the same symptoms returned so instead of spending more time to repair the board I opted to install a new VIN coded unit and all is well now. (My cost at $800 compared to spending 4-5 hours fact find and repair the old board made me go and replace it instead)

I have a lot of experience taking SL shifters out/in (but having a lift makes it fairly easy total 1-2 hrs) without a lift it is hard to do due the under car work needed.

If you are planning to do this I'll be happy to talk to you about the steps involved, feel free to send me a pm for contact information.

Best H
Hello Hendrik - thanks for your input on this. I've still not repaired my shifter issue, but seems every 2-3 starts the car shifts OK for about 30 mins and then while in Drive it gets stuck in 2nd gear and wont up or down shift and then only allows for Park and Reverse.

Quick question - whats the correct MB part number of a new replacement shifter mechanism that you purchased? Mine is a 2004 SL55 and thought the P/N was Shifter - Mercedes-Benz (230-267-46-24) but many MB parts wholesale sites say this is discontinued???

https://www.mbpartscenter.com/oem-pa...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D
Old 01-10-2022, 12:36 AM

Hello Hendrik - thanks for your input on this. I've still not repaired my shifter issue, but seems every 2-3 starts the car shifts OK for about 30 mins and then while in Drive it gets stuck in 2nd gear and wont up or down shift and then only allows for Park and Reverse.

Quick question - whats the correct MB part number of a new replacement shifter mechanism that you purchased? Mine is a 2004 SL55 and thought the P/N was Shifter - Mercedes-Benz (230-267-46-24) but many MB parts wholesale sites say this is discontinued???

https://www.mbpartscenter.com/oem-pa...Y4LWdhcw%3D%3D
Send me your VIN # and I'll lookup the correct part # for you