SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Radiator Replacement - DIY?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 12:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
BMW M5 / SL55 AMG
Radiator Replacement - DIY?

2004 SL55 AMG: Noticed a bit of a leak from around the radiator right where the hose connects to the radiator flange located directly under the driver's side air duct. Hoping for the best, I replaced that hose, but still seem to have a leak. I think I read somewhere that the tanks and flange are plastic and wonder if their time is up.

Is replacing the radiator a big job? From the looks of it, seems pretty straightforward.

Any Hints?

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2021, 03:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 sl55, 2005 GX470, 2004 XJ8
Radiator replacement sl55

HI
I just did mine - it is a big deal!!
Aside from minor pulling of trim, there are 4 bolts you need to access to separate the radiator from the other heat exchangers (AC, then trans, then power steering, etc). Top 2 are easy.

Bottom 2 are another story. I had added another HE which really blocked access, but I think that even without that addition, access to the two lower bolts is blocked by plastic wind deflectors. Book states you must remove front bumper cover to get in there.

I managed to remove the two lower bolts with a small ratcheting wrench, using just my fingertips and only able to get one click on each turn (it took a while). Putting them back was harder - I only got one of the two lowers back in. I consider it temporary until the day I remove my front bumper cover for some other reason (like repainting).

In hindsight, I'd have fewer cuts on my fingers and probably the same amount of time if I had just pulled the front bumper cover in the first place. I'd suggest going that route.

Process involves:
Remove fan (2 bolts and 2 clips up top, reach down and unplug power module (press in clips on either side). Helps to push/slide the double-rubber placeholding rubber washers on the larger coolant lines up about 6 inches first to get clearance. You'll need to disconnect the upper radiator hose first to have enough room to wiggle out the fan assembly due to large tabs on each side).
Remove the top cover and plate that secures the radiator in place.
Unclip lower radiator hose and two trans cooling lines.
I believe everything is 10mm.
Remove two upper bolts which are exposed. Grey steel with bolt heads facing the front of car.
The lower two are oriented in the same direction, and are roughly 3 inches above the bottom of the radiator.

Pull radiator, but be aware that there are the two cooling lines on the drivers side and 2 more coolant lines below them that will catch on the radiator tabs. You'll have to gently push them out of the way, and it still is a bit of a pain to get the radiator free.