SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: Installing a carbon fibre rear diffuser to SL55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 SL55 AMG
Installing a carbon fibre rear diffuser to SL55

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a CF rear diffuser for my SL55. After browsing the Internet I noticed there were two ways of installing this. One way was to take off the bumper and fit it with rivets and the other way was to stick it on with 3M tape or tigerseal. Either method, both required the bottom part of the bumper to be cut to allow the diffuser to sit in flush. ​​​​​​So my situation is I first tried it with the 3M tape / tigerseal way. After cutting the bottom part of the bumper, I test fitted the diffuser and noticed that as I align one corner flush, the other corner pops out (see pictures). Now I'm not sure if either the diffuser I got has a poor fitment or infact I do have to take the bumper off to fit it on properly. Anyone who fitted the same diffuser, how did you go about installing it and did you come across the same situation? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-22-2021, 03:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 SL55
I ran into the same problem, I ended up spending a lot of time custom fitting the Diffuser. I had to cut most of the back structure off the Diffuser. I left the lip at the top and around the Exhaust tips and basically a single level panel ever where else. I used body screws at the bottom with spacers into the existing hole from the plastics cover under the trunk. It was a major hassle. The ones on Ebay basically all come from the same source. If there is a rear diffuser that is a drop on/ perfect fit no modified piece, then nobody is letting out the secret.

Old 12-22-2021, 03:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by BLKSL55AMG
I ran into the same problem, I ended up spending a lot of time custom fitting the Diffuser. I had to cut most of the back structure off the Diffuser. I left the lip at the top and around the Exhaust tips and basically a single level panel ever where else. I used body screws at the bottom with spacers into the existing hole from the plastics cover under the trunk. It was a major hassle. The ones on Ebay basically all come from the same source. If there is a rear diffuser that is a drop on/ perfect fit no modified piece, then nobody is letting out the secret.

I ended up returning this one and bought another one made by Duplex. Their one is made from. Fibre glass and a much better fitment. Painted that gloss black and glued it on with tiger seal followed by a taper screw on each side under the exhaust tips. Left a jack under it for overnight to help with the bonding.

The following users liked this post:
BLKSL55AMG (12-24-2021)