SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: 2006 SL55 throttle body question: 82mm vs 92mm throttle body

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 11:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 SL55 AMG
2006 SL55 throttle body question: 82mm vs 92mm throttle body

Does anyone have any thoughts based on experience with 82mm vs 92mm Hellcat throttle body upgrades for the SL55 AMG? Besides the cost and the obvious size differences - what else should someone consider when looking at these two options? What are the pros and cons of each and do the pros or cons of each of these throttle bodies outweigh that of another?

Appreciate all the things that a person would have to think about before selecting one of these throttle bodies. For background, my car is not a track car. it is a weekend driver. I also drive on the highways and streets I will get on it once in a while but I don't drive it like I stole it to be honest. I just got the MBH long tube headers, green cats, and larger injectors with plug-and-play pigtails waiting to be installed. Here is the current setup in case anyone needs to know so they can offer better advice about the throttle bodies.

Motor:
77mm UPD supercharger pulley
UPD billet red pulley kit - Will at UPD is fcking awesome to deal with
UPD belt wrap kit
VRP titanium SC pulley bolt
Project B5 custom split cooling - http://www.projectb5.com/product/pb5...it-cooling-kit
CW100 water pump
PLM XL heat exchanger
relay to turn on water pump when key is turned
Needswings 3 inch intake with 5 inch air filters
Stage 2 tune by RaceIQ - Tony and Race IQ did a great job and fantastic support - support is what matters if you are shopping for a commoditized product, it's what's sets the product apart. You can get a ****ty product anywhere but, great support in very few places.

Exhaust
resonator delete
secondary cat delate
3 inch t304 stainless steel tubing from front cats to the muffler
3 inch X pipe set up

Old 03-29-2022, 05:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C55 Wagon Midnight Blue, SL55 Brilliant Silver, E55 Designo Mystic White
i just installed vrp 105tb, with its required looped and split fuel rail, surge tanks and 630cc injectors. i only secondary delete, and so much extra flow i doubt primaries will last long and oem manifold restriction means too scared to take it anywhere near redline, but no need because the car is a torque monster now.

Last edited by idlebumski; 03-29-2022 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 07:31 PM

2006 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by idlebumski
i just installed vrp 105tb, with its required looped and split fuel rail, surge tanks and 630cc injectors. i only secondary delete, and so much extra flow i doubt primaries will last long and oem manifold restriction means too scared to take it anywhere near redline, but no need because the car is a torque monster now.
idlebumski wow that 105 throttle body alone and snout look like a monster. So you still maintain OEM headers aka OEM manifold restriction? How does it drive and is it a daily driver? Did you have to add the looped fuel rail and larger injectors or was this because you wanted to increase fuel flow?
besides bolting on, what else did you have to do to install this on the car? I am leaning towards the 92mm throttle body myself but just want to hear about other experiences in larger throttle bodies and install.
Thanks
Old 03-30-2022, 12:37 AM

yea, the 105tb and billet snout is beautiful, as are surge tanks which you can see in pic below.

vrp told me surge tanks needed for 105, along with their fuel rail to reach around it, plus i chose 630cc injectors given they were cheap, while other consideration in all this, is oem parts off sl will end up on my c55 wagon, to become rare and mean little kompressor.

sl55 on dyno indicated blocked cats, so deleted secondaries first.

after mods installed, not surprising downside is now getting p0422 code 'catalytic below threshold', meaning primary cats already on their way out likely melted with so much extra flow and presumably rich mixture from tune, so i nana it until vrp headers for sl55 are avail.

per advice of forums, did the usual 2 x heat exchangers (looking oem thanks to my tech), split cooling and superflo, so despite the heat small fixed pulley creates, i can maintain iat's 10c above ambient, being ideal.

daily driver? as you can imagine with this setup, is all down low torque and thrilling.

i resisted putting headers on because love the oem sound, but once on, this car should easily have more power than mclaren/slr...

nb: first had raceiq tune which came as part of bundle and may have been too rich and/or incorrect for car, so i highly recommend v-tech for tune if you do something like this.

Last edited by idlebumski; 03-30-2022 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:01 AM

2006 SL55 AMG
how many hours did the throttle body install take? what this a straight 1 to 1 bolt on or was there any modifications necessary? I don't think I will need the extras with just a 92mm throttle body and 550cc injectors. Did you measure the hp and torque numbers on dyno after? if so, what was the read out?

I got a set of green high-flow 200 CEL cats. I will install these with the MBH headers sitting in my house.

I have a RaceIQ stage 2 tune currently and it works well. Tony's been exceptional in customer service. Is the V -tech tune more compatible with the 105 throttle body?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2022, 06:09 PM

tb install was frustrating because kept pulling the vacuum line down for tidy appearance, not realising pinched at top blocked vacuum making the car undriveable, so during days of distress searching for problem, easiest of which was try another tune.

v-tech asked to see which file i had been using and said it was one of his tunes, but for w211 and not written with fixed pulley and 630cc injectors, so would never have run well.

after install of v-tech tune, discovered my mistake with vacuum line, so no reason to go back to raceiq at this point.

before began all this, i suspected cats were getting clogged so dyno with pressure sensor in o2 port showed psi rising from 11.5 to 15.5, a rise of about 1 psi indicates properly flowing exhaust, and despite that, she pulled 414whp and a higher than normal 522ft lbs, perhaps due the exhaust restriction.

so my first move was to replace secondaries with couple resonators, but after all the mods, as mentioned the primary cats now flash a code if drive hard.

i have no idea the power it makes after all the mods, and will wait until headers are on before another dyno.

Last edited by idlebumski; 03-30-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2022, 06:22 PM

2006 SL55 AMG
so the tune from Race IQ would not have worked well because you have a fixed pulley so the V-Tech tune is more suitable with the current set up? this is regardless of the vacuum line being blocked?
Old 03-30-2022, 06:40 PM

vrp suggested v-tech are better with 105tb tuning, but they have relationship so of course would say that.

all i would suggest, is maybe contact v-tech georgia, tell them i sent you, jason in nz, and ask vano to look at your file.

i would not be surprised if is meant for e55.

over to you.

Last edited by idlebumski; 03-30-2022 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2022, 01:10 PM

2006 SL55 AMG
Speaking of 92mm throttle body kits, does anyone have any experience installing the MBH 92mm TB? The MBH headers are a work of art and flow. So i assuming this kit will be another hit and the link is below.

https://www.mbhmotorsports.com/produ...ottle-body-kit

I am considering buy but wanted to know if anyone has installed already.

Old 06-20-2022, 06:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
I am jealous, a C55 wagon! I had an ‘05 C55 sedan and loved it. That is awesome!
Old 04-13-2023, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL55 AMG
Intake question!

Originally Posted by idlebumski
I did a Hellcat 92mm throttle from VRP just now and seem to have very little room for the supplied Y fitting for the intake! What did you end up doing for your intake?
Old 04-14-2023, 03:27 AM

as you can see in pics above, usually with 105 or 92tb, the dual cylinder intake will be needed as it joins to the y-pipe vrp supplies.

if want to retain oem intake, you will need to custom make something like what i did on e55; it has 105 snout allowing 92tb to sit flat, but means surge tank(s) will need to be cut for fitment, and with 105 snout, you would also need looped and split fuel rail to fit around its large size. hidden is 74 fixed, 630cc, long tubes, bwk, and most of that large heat exchanger which required some cuts for fitment. size of the custom y-pipe meant had to remove cover under the hood vent... lots of work, but the car hauls ***

Last edited by idlebumski; 04-14-2023 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-04-2024, 10:40 AM

G55 AMG
Sorry to revive this thread, but there isn’t really any documentation on the internet about VRP’s 105mm throttle body kit for the M113k.

I have a 2009 G55 AMG and I recently installed the following:
-VRP 76mm CLUTCHED Supercharger Pulley (STOCK crank pulley)
-VRP 105mm Hellcat Throttle Body
-VRP Billet Snout for throttle body
-MBH Headers w/ 200 CEL Cats
-GTHaus Exhaust
-VRP Surge Tanks
-VRP Looped Fuel Rail (stock injectors, stock fuel pump)
-VRP Secondary Heat Exchanger
-VRP Superflo Cooling Pump
-Needswings Dual 3" Intakes
-V-Tech Tune

V-Tech Tuning out of Georgia has been extremely helpful, but ultimately it’s something hardware related, and VRP’s customer service post-sale is extremely lacking.

The car idles high (around 1,500rpm) and never comes down. If you press or blip the throttle the car will freely rev to 4,000rpm+ with the following check engine light:

P202B-2idle speed control implausible
Short circuit to ground or open circuit.

This leads me to believe that it’s a bad throttle body or the wiring harness jumper extension needs to be re-pinned. <— VRP mentioned something about 2 wires might having to be re-pinned on the supplied jumper harness because Mercedes made some changes on the G Wagons and I might be running a 2008 SL55 wiring from factory.

I have reset the throttle body adaptations via Mercedes software and all that, but nothing. No changes.

Any suggestions or insight?

Last edited by BrianSpilner; 02-04-2024 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-04-2024, 03:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 SL55 AMG
I wish I could help but I wanted to say that G must be a beast. I am listening to all the tune and tweak so I can do my SL55 hopefully easy with all of your feedback. Thank you all, there are a bunch of us watching and learning from your work.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:34 PM

i bought 105tb for sl55 and did not realise i had pulled a small vacuum line from it too tight, therefore pinching it, giving me the high idle (in pic is the small line from top of tb). after resolving this, the 105tb began throwing codes similar to yours and going into limp mode, and car ended up undriveable, so sent it back to vrp who sent it to granatelli for check and repair. when i finally got it back, it quickly did the same things again. so i ended up buying a cheap chinese one off ebay for less than $300, threw it on thinking it was junk, and it has been running great ever since, lol. edited to add that with that tb and pulley, you should really have 630cc injectors, imho

Last edited by idlebumski; 02-04-2024 at 08:23 PM.
Old 02-05-2024, 02:43 AM

should also point out, in trying to confirm whether your 105tb is malfunctioning, you can buy 92tb from vrp, or hellcat off ebay, and will bolt right on to 105 snout, given you have the surge tanks which sit wider than oem. just before your post, you will see cream/white e55 which i did; in that pic it has oem intake and surge tanks, 105 snout and 92tb which sits flat on that snout, as opposed to 45 deg angle when using 92tb on 92 snout, where they designed it to work with narrower oem surge tanks. vano also told me makes no difference to tune if using slightly smaller tb... personally, i think your 105tb is defective. good luck, and let me/us know how it works out.

Last edited by idlebumski; 02-05-2024 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2024, 04:34 PM

G55 AMG
@idlebumski Thank you for the response.

Forgot to mention that I completed multiple smoke tests to checks for leaks (error P0507 points to that). I did find one on the driver’s side intake plenum; the VRP surge tank had overspray on the bottom side where the gasket sits causing a leak. I cleaned both plenums for good measure and re-sealed with silicone.

Even after that, no fix. I’ll check for kinked lines shortly.

As far as the throttle body, I had the 105mm swapped out for a new one to eliminate the possibility of the throttle body being faulty, but I guess I could’ve gotten 2 that were bad.

After reading your post, I went ahead and ordered a 105mm throttle body from eBay and a 92mm throttle body from MBH Motorsports to see what happens.

Looking at the E55 photo you mentioned, the 92mm throttle body will fit on the 105mm snout, correct?

Wanted to mention one more thing… I have the crank case vents T’d off and connected with a rubber gasket/copper nipple to the bottom side of the silicone Y-pipe going to the throttle body; is this correct? Or should I re-route it to an unused NPT fitting on the base of the snout?

Old 02-05-2024, 04:45 PM

yes, with your vrp surge tanks, the 92tb will bolt straight to the vrp 105 snout, and is why there are different drill holes around its top, that you did not use for bolting your 105tb to. as to the crankcase vents, i profess not to understand what they all do; on the two cars i have modded, my mechanic says ok to leave some open. others were plugged because we just did sai delete, and needed hose from crankcase to intake on custom y-pipe in e55, but i cannot remember now whether did one on 105tb in sl55. there is a port you may have missed, near rear of valve cover on right looking into engine, which is obscured by surge tanks and i was told is quite important. i will have a look later and see if can photo it.
Old 02-05-2024, 04:48 PM

G55 AMG
Yes, the port I have circled below.
Old 02-05-2024, 05:16 PM

yep, that's it. let me check today what i did with that, and will get back to you
Old 02-05-2024, 05:23 PM

G55 AMG
No problem, thank you.

I would also like to mention that I used a 90 degree angled fitting so that the nipple points down. Not sure if this causes a “kink.”

The supplied NPT fitting was a straight shot but it looked like there wasn’t enough room to fit the hose cause of the y-pipe on the bottom.
Old 02-06-2024, 06:12 AM

i thought you were talk about the port on snout, which in your pic is above red circle area, pointing toward rear... if you are referring to small rubber vacuum line with its u-joint at top, then runs under kompressor; if were me would try running that across top of motor to its destination front left. quite easy to have lowered heavy kompressor onto it by mistake. i also suggest join the groups on fb; especially the one called 'e55 / m113k race performance and diy'