SL55 AMG, SL63 AMG, SL65 AMG (R230) 2002 - 2011 (2003 US for SL55 and 2004 for the SL65)

SL55/63/65/R230 AMG: I need help guys...SL55 or 600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blueSL
Let me give you a flavour of what the SL55 has to offer.

The main benefit of a fast car in the UK is overtaking ability on a road providing just a single lane in each direction. If you're on a divided highway, you can cruise at whatever speed you feel comfortable with (including taking account of the speed limit) so outright performance counts for less. But when you're overtaking and aiming to minimise what we call here TETD (time exposed to danger), acceleration is all.

Last night, I came up behind a queue of 13 cars trailing a truck travelling at about 50 mph. Wait for the road to clear, full xenon beam to tell them I'm coming on through, drop a gear, foot down. Past all 13 cars and the truck in an instant. I was doing 95 as I passed the truck and pull back into the left hand lane, no problem, drop back to a relaxed cruise. Completely stable, no stress. That's the measure of the SL55 for me, effortless performance. My 911 and 355 would do similar but the difference with the SL55 is that is it so effortless. Maybe the SL600 or SL65 would do better still and reduce the time for such a manoeuvre by a few tenths, seconds at best.

I daresay too that those 14 drivers asked themselves "what the heck?" as the SL55, all four tailpipes sounding off in glorious unison, powered on past. Great stuff.

Get the SL55. You will not be disappointed.
Jesus man!
Whenever I read your posts I can almost feel the g-forces pressing me back into the seat of the SL55 AMG. Have you ever considered a switch to journalism or writing of some sort? You certainly have the gift!

Cheers!
Old 01-07-2005, 09:08 PM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
Thanks BlueSL, is there any chance of buying warranty per year from the dealership, that covers everything? I was told you can buy warranty per year but each claim will be limited to 1K pounds? I really hate to be paying for a new transmission on one of these things, for an A-class alone, you're looking at 3500GBP...to which the dealershp will contribute 10%! Do the math!
Old 01-07-2005, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
SL55 AMG
Silver Lana - thanks for the compliment, no never thought of writing for a living. Perhaps I should come out of semi-retirement!

Bilal - Haven't looked into extended warranties - I think they are much more commonplace in the US than here. Any warranty you buy is a form of insurance and just like your household insurance, the insurers set the premium you pay based on their maximum liability and your excess/deductible. A £1k limit doesn't strike me as much use when MB labour rates are £80+ + tax an hour.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:29 AM

Mercedes-Benz A170 CDI
Thanks BlueSL, thought so. But then again, when warranty runs out, you don't want to be paying the repair costs (of which there will be many as we all know) for a 55 or 600. I know its no worry for people who buy these cars new and keep for 3 years then sell them, but with the huge depreciation, and running costs, a slightly used 55 or 600 ( if you can find one) is a good buy. But the lack of warranty will detract from making the full use of the vehicle....

Back to the thread, I say, drive both, within 15mins you will know which one you want...