SL63 AMG & SL65 AMG (R231) 2012 to 2020 (in US launched as 2013 model) Facelift from 2017

Autocross experience?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 SL63
Autocross experience?

Hi, I am about to do an autocross with my 2015 SL63AMG. I am wondering whether I should put the top down (more weight in back, lower center of gravity, better sound ;-)) or top up (maybe less dirt in the car..).
Will be interesting, its with PCA (Porsche Club America) in CA. Anybody who has done autocross or track with the Sl63? I assume I should switch the ESP off? Any other tips, recommendations?
Cheers,
Old 10-20-2017, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
Originally Posted by Lukezwoelf
Hi, I am about to do an autocross with my 2015 SL63AMG. I am wondering whether I should put the top down (more weight in back, lower center of gravity, better sound ;-)) or top up (maybe less dirt in the car..).
Will be interesting, its with PCA (Porsche Club America) in CA. Anybody who has done autocross or track with the Sl63? I assume I should switch the ESP off? Any other tips, recommendations?
Cheers,
I realize I'm probably a little late to the party.... have you been already?

I'm guessing that you were told you had to have the top up. The times I had my SL55 at the track it was a requirement.

Would like to hear your experience.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:12 PM

2015 SL63
autocross 2015 SL63

Originally Posted by idrive
I realize I'm probably a little late to the party.... have you been already?

I'm guessing that you were told you had to have the top up. The times I had my SL55 at the track it was a requirement.

Would like to hear your experience.
Just came back from PCA autocross, Alameda airport, CA. It was just my 4th time (the first 3 I did with my 2006 911). Alameda is quite dusty, concrete and I had traction issues a lot, understeer and turn in wasn't bad but ESP was fighting me almost all the time (I had it in "handling mode", Sports+ and hard suspension). I think the SL would be more fun on a track then a somewhat narrow autocross. I was about 6 -7 seconds slower then the GT3s but most of the drivers are much better then I am. Thing is one has to really learn how to not overcook it and be moderate on the throttle, full throttle is almost never an option. Overall a good experience but I will go back to the 911 next time. I can send you a video in case you are interested.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:51 PM

2015 SL63

Originally Posted by Lukezwoelf
Just came back from PCA autocross, Alameda airport, CA. It was just my 4th time (the first 3 I did with my 2006 911). Alameda is quite dusty, concrete and I had traction issues a lot, understeer and turn in wasn't bad but ESP was fighting me almost all the time (I had it in "handling mode", Sports+ and hard suspension). I think the SL would be more fun on a track then a somewhat narrow autocross. I was about 6 -7 seconds slower then the GT3s but most of the drivers are much better then I am. Thing is one has to really learn how to not overcook it and be moderate on the throttle, full throttle is almost never an option. Overall a good experience but I will go back to the 911 next time. I can send you a video in case you are interested.
Some pics from autocross:
Old 11-10-2017, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 SL63
Something I would love to do. Not anywhere close where I am to participate in something like this outside of running it down the drag strip at LVMS (Las Vegas Motor Speedway) which is 2 hours away for me.

The SL does need some wider tires and lowered perhaps to compete with the 911's. Down the straights I doubt they'd keep up but in the turns the P's def. have the advantage. Was this your findings?

I need to put a trip together to Cal and run something like this and then down the 1/2 mile with jmcd33.

Have you considered posting the video on youtube? That way you could link it here, I know I'd enjoy seeing it.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:14 PM

2015 SL63
Originally Posted by idrive
Something I would love to do. Not anywhere close where I am to participate in something like this outside of running it down the drag strip at LVMS (Las Vegas Motor Speedway) which is 2 hours away for me.

The SL does need some wider tires and lowered perhaps to compete with the 911's. Down the straights I doubt they'd keep up but in the turns the P's def. have the advantage. Was this your findings?

I need to put a trip together to Cal and run something like this and then down the 1/2 mile with jmcd33.

Have you considered posting the video on youtube? That way you could link it here, I know I'd enjoy seeing it.
Here's the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeZa...ature=youtu.be, it looks much tamer on video as it is. You can see the esp light flickering almost all the time. Weight and grip really matter and its hard to match the about 3100 pounds 305s in the back of a 911s. Also many of the regular autocross guys have Michelin Cup2 or other almost race tires. It was a good experience nevertheless.
Heres another link with an instructor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDds...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Lukezwoelf; 11-11-2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: add another link