SL63 AMG & SL65 AMG (R231) 2012 to 2020 (in US launched as 2013 model) Facelift from 2017

front bumper sensors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 sl63
front bumper sensors

Hi,

Can someone enlighten me on which sensors are associated with which system? There are 6 sensors, 4 external (you can see them in the bumper), two in front and one each on the sides. There are also 2 behind the bumper which cannot be seen. I'm under the impression that the 4 external are tied into the proximity warning lights on the dash and the 2 internal are associated with the distrronics system (cruise control). Can someone verify this? Reason being is that my left side indicator randomly activates to full when there is nothing near the car. Very annoying and unsafe. I did have the bumper painted (road rash) and MB will not warrant the system, they say the paint guys caused it. The paint shop is very willing to replace bad sensor. Paint shop is Stewarts in Dallas, the best around, authorized and recommended Porsche shop and always tons of Ferrari's being fixed. I just want to be sure the correct sensor(s) get replaced.

Thanks in advance.
Joe
2013 SL63
Old 10-24-2017, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
The parking sensors are the 4 you can see. They are ultrasonic sensors and are calibrated for a specific thickness of paint, if they've been re-painted they often act up.

They also pick up weird reflections and go off at times for no good reason momentarily, so even a new sensor may not solve it 100%
Old 10-24-2017, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 sl63
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
The parking sensors are the 4 you can see. They are ultrasonic sensors and are calibrated for a specific thickness of paint, if they've been re-painted they often act up.

They also pick up weird reflections and go off at times for no good reason momentarily, so even a new sensor may not solve it 100%
Thanks for the quick response. So I guess my assumptions were correct.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 165 Posts
Porsche guy who drives SL63 w/ perf pkg AND perf suspension
as I understand it, the 2 in the grill and the 2 on the front of the bumper are for parking, the 2 on the outside of the bumper are for the parallel parking (same on rear bumper). They are for side pickup. . I would guess that they may be intermingled within the system so they could give multiple signals.
Anybody that replaces sensors go by part # , its not a guess as to what they are for