SL65 AMG Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the R230 SL65 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

SL65 Black Series on eBay!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2009 | 11:12 PM

1988 535i 5 speed
It seems that although there are a few of us that realize what the SL65 BS really is, there are many more that don't, and they will see this as 300k+ (it will be way over msrp so maybe as much as 335k) SL65 with a bodykit. And they won't pay that. I think the demand will be high for the first couple months, as always, and then people won't want it, they will get bored, and move on. Also, you have to look at the competition in this market. At this price: CGT, SLR, Murcie, LP560+mods, GT2+mods, 599, 430 scud, or of course ZR1+plus mods. I think many people will see this, compare it to the BS, and, unfairly, decide it's not worth it. I think it will lose a lot of value, just like every other AMG, especially 65s. Jim, being in Chicago (I'm just outside Hartland), and knowing how *****ty the weather is right now, I would say wait, you won't be driving it for at least a month, and even a month wait might save quite a large amount of money, with nothing given up. I'd be willing to bet you could wait 6 months (but don't!) and still not see any on the roads, for the simple fact that there are only going to be 175 of them over here. Just a couple things that I was thinking about, just my .02. But when you get it, I know it's gonna be the most insane AMG in the world, haha.

And, btw, give VRP a break, they are doing work on stuff that hasn't been done before, and they are still small. Sure, they are running into delays, but they all seem to be just bad luck. The wait is long, but I think they've proven that their products are the best you can get. Just look at Marko's car, that thing is ridiculous for the amount of modding that has been done to it. I guess I'm just sayinjg, give them a break, in the end you'll be satisfied.
Old 02-22-2009 | 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
AMG_Black,
I agree with you on performance capabilities of the SL Black, but I don't agree being able to afford an SL Black equals to a true enthusiast. In my book, being a true enthusiast means such person understands the fundamental of a car, can perform all mechanical tasks on a car at any given date, and can prove his/her skills on any track at anytime. I just don't think it's a good argument to attach money signs on top of any enthusiast's head. Besides, the Skyline R34 is also a very limited car in the US, which holds the top spot of lots of true enthusiasts' hearts, that they would take over the SL Black, even when some of them can easily afford it.
Old 02-23-2009 | 12:02 AM

04 S430 4Matic/03 Ml 320/ 98' E320 4matic/ 73' slc 450/ 05 cherokee
Originally Posted by 2MANYCARS
AMG_Black,
I agree with you on performance capabilities of the SL Black, but I don't agree being able to afford an SL Black equals to a true enthusiast. In my book, being a true enthusiast means such person understands the fundamental of a car, can perform all mechanical tasks on a car at any given date, and can prove his/her skills on any track at anytime. I just don't think it's a good argument to attach money signs on top of any enthusiast's head. Besides, the Skyline R34 is also a very limited car in the US, which holds the top spot of lots of true enthusiasts' hearts, that they would take over the SL Black, even when some of them can easily afford it.

very well said.
Old 02-24-2009 | 01:30 AM
Almost a Member!

'09 SL65 BS, '08 SL65 AMG, '08 CLK63 AMG BS, '08 CL65 AMG, '06 Viper SRT10, '06 F430, '04 Gallardo
Originally Posted by 2MANYCARS
AMG_Black,
That's not what I meant and I agree with what you are saying. I was just talking about those who do have the money to afford one. There are many people with money who buy exotic cars because of the way they look or just because they are fast. I completely agree with your definition on an enthusiast and that people of any economic class can be one. It has absolutely nothing to do with how much money one has. In fact, I'm sure that most lower/middle class people have a lot more sense when it comes to cars than those who buy them just because they can afford it. I'm sure your an enthusiast yourself
Old 02-24-2009 | 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
Much better, Black. And thanks for the complement.