SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Yellow mirror now more!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 02:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Yellow mirror now more!

As I had posted earlier, the mirror on my 99 SLK230 had turned yellow. I finally got around to taking it off and other than it being yellow, there is no apparent damage which to me indicated that the seal had probably leaked and the only solution was a new mirror. So I called and got a "wholesale" price of $315 for the new mirror. Wow! That is not the whole mirror, just the replacement mirror element with all the associated dimming and heating.

So, I took the mirror to a local glass and mirror place and using a scarp 1/8 inch thick mirror material, they cut me a mirror of the same size for $16.01, including tax. I then used a silicone glue and mounted it to place where the old mirror was at. It looks great and only the purist (like me) would know the difference. Both may wife and I believe it is much better now. I guess the yellow got to us after a while.

I wonder about the adhesive holding up in the long run but for $16, I am not too worried. If the car was not always garaged or if I lived where ice, snow and frost were a bigger problem than here, I would also be concerned about the heating part.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pfphipps
As I had posted earlier, the mirror on my 99 SLK230 had turned yellow. I finally got around to taking it off and other than it being yellow, there is no apparent damage which to me indicated that the seal had probably leaked and the only solution was a new mirror. So I called and got a "wholesale" price of $315 for the new mirror. Wow! That is not the whole mirror, just the replacement mirror element with all the associated dimming and heating.

So, I took the mirror to a local glass and mirror place and using a scarp 1/8 inch thick mirror material, they cut me a mirror of the same size for $16.01, including tax. I then used a silicone glue and mounted it to place where the old mirror was at. It looks great and only the purist (like me) would know the difference. Both may wife and I believe it is much better now. I guess the yellow got to us after a while.

I wonder about the adhesive holding up in the long run but for $16, I am not too worried. If the car was not always garaged or if I lived where ice, snow and frost were a bigger problem than here, I would also be concerned about the heating part.

Yes but it isnt dimming is it .......

$16 might seem cheap but you could have had my old OEM glass mirror for nothing. Seems like a WOFTAM.

Waste of f- time and money.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:43 PM

2003 E320
Great! Since you are in Australia, please send to:

Keith Fuller for Phipps
144 Renmark Ave.
Renmark, South Australia 5341
Australia

He will forward it to me.

Thanks.

By the way, the yellow one did not dim either.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pfphipps
Great! Since you are in Australia, please send to:

Keith Fuller for Phipps
144 Renmark Ave.
Renmark, South Australia 5341
Australia

He will forward it to me.

Thanks.
By the way, the yellow one did not dim either.
How many do you want ? I have like 2 or 3 and they are all ORION GRAY.