SLK/R170: Installing an In-dash LCD Monitor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Installing an In-dash LCD Monitor

Hey guys,

I want to buy the Pioneer AVH-P5700 DVD for my SLK320 '01, but the guy that I was buying it from said he can't install it because of fiber optics or something like that.

I'm not too sure what he's talking about, can someone tell me what he means by that? Also, does anyone have an in-dash lcd monitor installed? Is the sound quality still good after installing a custom stereo?

He said, he might be able to install the Pioneer, but I won't be able to use the Mercedes Benz CD-Changer. Any information regarding installing this system would be of great help.

Thank You,
Ravi

Last edited by RaviX; 12-17-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230
Hey,
As far is this stuff goes, you won't get a whole lot of help here (no offense to the older gen but you guys don't really do this stuff to your cars!) I have a kenwood kvt700m (7 inch touch screen) and I was going to put it in my car and ran into the same problem you are having. I went to circuit city and asked them what the fiber optics are; in simple terms they are speaker wires, but aren't compatiable with your aftermarket speaker wires. Make sense? So in order to make it work, all you have to do is re-run normal speaker wire to the speakers. They told me they could do that for 90$ I will just do it myself when I have the time. (Also you can't use your 6 disc changer because not a universal player) As for the sound quality, the fiber optic speaker wire makes the sound crystal clear and if you get some speaker wire that is the Oxidized (white copper not the brown copper) you should have very similar sound. Hope this helped. Derek
Old 12-17-2005, 04:23 PM

2003 CL55 AMG
Hey Derek,

That helped a lot. I'll see if that guy can run the white copper wires to the speakers when I get the pioneer installed. I'm still researching some stereos, not sure if I'm going to get the Pioneer, or some other brand. I'll post up some pictures if I get it installed.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My SLK has normal copper speaker wires. The (fibre) Optics come from the boot where the CD changer is located plus other gadgets if fitted, phone etc.

Bazzle
Old 12-17-2005, 05:25 PM

Hey, Pioneer is one of the best, my buddy just put a 2300$ ( I don't remember the model but remember the price) in his car, its awesome, completely blows mine away! You should look for a touch screen sense the deck is so close to where you sit it would just make sense! As for a 6 disc changer if you don't mind going with a off brand boss makes a 6 disc cd/dvd player and it sells on ebay for like 275$ It should work with everything that has pre-outs. Mine screen doesn't have a built in dvd/cd player because I did some research on the combo's and found that they have about 75% more problems than if you get just a screen. That and the price difference is like 500$! See if you can find a kvt700m for sale, I love mine it has all the features you'll need and it has worked awesome for the year I had it in a different car. I got a steal on mine, bought it on ebay for 300$ Retail's for 1200$! I just had to fix some rollers to make the screen come out and it works perfect! Derek
Old 12-17-2005, 06:51 PM

2003 CL55 AMG
Thanks for the info Bazzle. I'm probably going to get rid of the Benz CD changer if I get a new system and not use any CD changer. I just burn a MP3 cd and put like a 150 songs on it.

Derek, the reason I wanted to get the In-Dash DVD LCD all in one, not seperate is obviously because of space. The SLK barely has any room, so getting a receiver and a seperate lcd monitor would take up too much space. I'm sure the combined one probably has more problems than the seperate but that's a risk I'm going to have to take.

The Pioneer one your friend has is probably the one with NAVI in it. That's out of my budget lol. So I'm going to stick with one without the NAVI. Let me know if you see any in-dash lcd dvd players on sale anywhere.

Thanks again,
Ravi
Old 12-19-2005, 10:46 PM

'99 SLK 230
US SLK 170 stereos 1999+

These factory systems use a fiber optic loop to connect optional CD changers and factory telephones. If you’re not going to reuse the factory CD changer there is no issue with the fiber optics, they're simply not used with aftermarket head units.

The factory systems use a Bose amplifier and speakers. If you connect aftermarket head units at the head unit opening you are connecting to the input of the Bose amplifier not to the speakers. You can connect the head unit's speaker output to the Bose input but you will seriously overdrive the amp at any anything but minimum volume set at the head unit. Some have done this, but I don’t recommend it.

You can connect head unit preamp outputs to the Bose input, but the head unit outputs are usually RCA (single-ended) and the Bose inputs are differential. Also the Bose is looking for signal amplitude of about 4 volts peak-to-peak. You can jury-rig a connection but you may not get all the volume that you want. Again, some people have done this but I don’t recommend it.

The proper way to interface to a Bose system is via an adapter. An internet search will yield several options.

There is a lot of misinformation about these Bose OEM systems; unfortunately, much of the misinformation comes from unsophisticated stereo shops and car installers who should know better. They often say that it can’t be done. It can if you know what you are doing. If a shop tells you otherwise, I’d think twice about dealing with them.

Another option is to bypass or replace the Bose amp altogether, but the Bose amp and speakers are matched, so if you replace only one you may well be disappointed with the results.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:51 AM

I don't have bose in my car, I have harmon kardon. An option maybe? But that is what it says on the doors and the amp under the glove box. Also the guy who posted this question has a 320 not a 230, not sure if that makes a difference or not. So what your saying is the power from the aftermaket deck will be to much for the stock amp? I don't see how that is possible because amplifiers only use a signal from either stock or aftermarket decks to filter and increase the sound to the speakers. The signal shouldn't matter by how many watts a aftermarket system has because it wouldn't use the speaker wires, it would use a set of pre-outs and sense it is stock it won't have any pre-out plugs, thus automatically having to bypass the amp with direct speaker wires to the speakers in the door and behind the seat. So the guy's at circuit city were correct. (I don't mean to be defenisve but unless your a pro at splicing smaller than hair thin wire and connecting, there is almost no way to make that stock amp work with out a wiring harness that isn't made for this car, or a few expensive converters that would make all of the work a waste of time.)
Old 12-20-2005, 08:19 PM

'99 SLK 230
I don't have bose in my car, I have harmon kardon. An option maybe? But that is what it says on the doors and the amp under the glove box.
You have a ’98. The title of my post was “US SLK 170 stereos 1999+”.

Also the guy who posted this question has a 320 not a 230, not sure if that makes a difference or not.
Not.

So what your saying is the power from the aftermaket deck will be to much for the stock amp?
Not the power; the signal amplitude. Perhaps I should have said “overdrive” instead of “overpower” to be more precise.

When you pull the factory head unit on a ‘99+ SLK 170 you will see what look likes a speaker connector, because it has two pair of wires leading from it. These are not however speaker wires, they are differential Left and Right channel signals to the Bose amp. The factory Bose amp does not use RCA-type connectors or shielded cables as do most aftermarket systems.

Some installing aftermarket units have actually connected their units this way (speaker outputs to Bose inputs). It works, but the volume control becomes oversensitive. The reason is because of a signal amplitude mismatch. The Pioneer AVH-P5700DVD is rated about like most aftermarket decks: 22W into 4 ohms. That works out to a signal amplitude of over 9 volts at maximum volume. The Bose amp can take only about 4V maximum. So, if you connect this way, you can easily overdrive the Bose amp. Also, since you’re not loading the aftermarket deck anywhere near its rated load, you may get distortion.

If instead of connecting the speaker outputs you use the aftermarket deck’s preamp outputs, you will likely have the opposite problem. The Pioneer AVH-P5700DVD preout max output level is specified as 2.2 volts. The Bose will want to see about 4 volts for maximum volume. So, once again, this will work, but you will not get all the volume out of the system as you would with the stock head unit.

I don't see how that is possible because amplifiers only use a signal from either stock or aftermarket decks to filter and increase the sound to the speakers. The signal shouldn't matter by how many watts a aftermarket system has because it wouldn't use the speaker wires, it would use a set of pre-outs and sense it is stock it won't have any pre-out plugs, thus automatically having to bypass the amp with direct speaker wires to the speakers in the door and behind the seat.
?

So the guy's at circuit city were correct.
About what?

(I don't mean to be defenisve but unless your a pro at splicing smaller than hair thin wire and connecting, there is almost no way to make that stock amp work with out a wiring harness that isn't made for this car, or a few expensive converters that would make all of the work a waste of time.)
Proper converters for Bose factory systems aren’t that expensive when compared with the aftermarket unit under discussion.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:48 PM

The aftermarket converters are 79-125$ Getting it installed and you not having to do a thing, 90$ It would be pointless to even try to use the amp because that pioneer deck has enough power for the stock speakers. So once again, the best, cheapest, and easiest way is to bring it to a circuit city and have them install it.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:46 PM

'99 SLK 230
Well, I wouldn’t do it that way.

Definitely not the best, because that Pioneer unit is rated down to 4 ohm speakers so it won’t be happy with the Bose 2 ohm speakers. Not the easiest, because the Bose amp will have to be bypassed which involves removing a panel and adding some wiring. Using an adapter and the right harness it’s all plug and play with no panels that need to be removed.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:18 PM

Definitely not the best, because that Pioneer unit is rated down to 4 ohm speakers so it won’t be happy with the Bose 2 ohm speakers

IF you brought it some where and had them install it they would use the bose amp, Also you can run 4 ohms with 2 ohms and 2 ohms with 4 ohms, it doesn't really make a difference in this case with how little of power is being put out @ 45watts a channel. Now if your dealing with 6600 watts like I had in my last car, ohms means the difference between having a nice cool running amp or burning it up.

Not the easiest, because the Bose amp will have to be bypassed which involves removing a panel and adding some wiring. Using an adapter and the right harness it’s all plug and play with no panels that need to be removed.

Plug and play for the slk to the pioneer! haha! You will never find that. If it was that easy car stereo install shops wouldn't exist. It is always easiest to bring your car some where that warranties their work because if you mess up you have only yourself to blame, but if they mess up they'll fix it for free. That and it is a lot better to have somebody else do it when some people don't know a whole lot about installing a car stereo in their Benz.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:42 PM

'99 SLK 230
OK, I'm done.

Clearly your posts (calling the SLK fiber optics “speaker wires” and saying that it’s OK to run an amp with speakers at less than the amp's rated resistance) demonstrate your superior wisdom regarding installing stereos in SLKs. Clearly my posts demonstrate my utter lack of knowledge of the same.

RaviX, best of luck with your installation.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:20 PM

98 SLK 230K
converter

will this thing work?
http://www.cardomain.com/item/PERSVEN2
Old 12-22-2005, 11:55 PM

'99 SLK 230
Yes.

Looks like a good choice, as it will handle the differential and level conversion. By wiring the supplied connectors to the Sosche VW01B harness you could plug this right into the SLK real neat.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:16 AM

I guess so.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:16 PM

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by ****B
Definitely not the best, because that Pioneer unit is rated down to 4 ohm speakers so it won’t be happy with the Bose 2 ohm speakers. Not the easiest, because the Bose amp will have to be bypassed which involves removing a panel and adding some wiring. Using an adapter and the right harness it’s all plug and play with no panels that need to be removed.
Hey,

You're right about the ohms. In my E-Class, when I had a Sony cd stereo installed, I had a problem with the difference in ohms. I used the stereo for 4 or 5 days without running into any problems, but then all of a sudden it shut off and wouldn't turn back on. What happened was the fuse blew out, so they had to replace that and do some rewiring. I guess they used the adapter you're talking about when they rewired the car. Thanks for the information, I'll make sure they use that adapter.

-Ravi
Old 12-23-2005, 06:51 PM

Just real quick, the ohms wouldn't cause your radio to blow a fuse. I know ****B will agree with me on this... Your speaker wires touched, and shorted out the radio after it blew the fuse. Resistance determines how much current will flow through a component. Resistors are used to control voltage and current levels. A very high resistance (4 or 8 ohms) allows a small amount of current to flow. A very low resistance (1 or 2 ohms) allows a large amount of current to flow. Resistance is measured in ohms. This is taken directly from the "Ohms Law" So all you would be doing if you hooked up the pioneer with the 4 ohms to the 2 ohm speakers is under power them because your speakers have the ability to have a large amount of current to flow through them, while your deck doesn't have the ability to produce a large amount of current. Hopefully this makes sense and clears up this issue.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:29 PM

Mercedes SLK230 Kompressor
Here is my setup.

Alpine touch screen DVD head unit with GPS and tv tuner.

Integrated Ipod using factory phone cradle holder and entering the auxillary input in the head unit

Touch screen 8 inch Kenwood LCD screen mounted above cupholders

Rear View Mirror with inbuilt 3.5 inch screen with reversing camera engaged in reverse.

Playstation 2 also running through screens.

I use MB Quart Q series 6.5 inch splits with silk tweeters and a 15 inch sub in the boot.

Sound quality is amazing - the car has won DB and clarity awards.

People who say things cant be done are incompetent.

Anything can be done.
Attached Thumbnails Installing an In-dash LCD Monitor-s-photos-013.jpg  
Old 01-21-2006, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by slk236

Anything can be done.
wrong. Anything can be done. WITH ENOUGH MONEY.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:30 PM

2001 e320
I have a 2001 e320.I am getting ready to install the same pionner dvd deck.With that vw wiring adapter and a rca to wire convertor,all my funcution exept volome control on the steering wheel and cd changer will work?I have heard so much differnt things about alarm and such things.also are the wiring codes on the vw adapter color coded the same as my MB?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:31 PM

Also I'm selling my 7" touch screen (kenwood kvt-700m) if anybody is interested. Here's the link to it on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5861099328