SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Aftermarket Stereo install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230
Aftermarket Stereo install

Does anybody have any subs in there car that they put in themselves? I was pretty close to being done with hooking up my system but I can't find any spot to run the power wire threw the fire wall! Help please!!!!!
Old 01-19-2006, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SLK230 Kompressor
Here is my boot install with 15 inch sub and amp

I had it done professionally but I can tell you that the thick power cable runs up the left hand side of the car (from the battery) all the way through to the boot.

If you have a look at how to install a BVRC you can see how to remove the trim panel behind the seats and from there you will be able to see where you can run the cabling from the cabin into the boot (trunk).

Nick
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Stereo install-mb3.jpg   Aftermarket Stereo install-mb2.jpg   Aftermarket Stereo install-mb1.jpg  
Old 01-19-2006, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the tip. And WOW your system is sweet! Nice job on that. I think what I'm going to do is rig up my power wire by runing it under the car. I know this is a dumb@#% thing to do but I don't really care because I have confidence that it will work fine and not give me any problems. If you have the time could you take a pic inside your hood at where the power wire runs maybe I can find a spot that wouldn't have to be rigged. Thanks Bro.
Derek
Old 01-19-2006, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes SLK230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by Abbring
Thanks for the tip. And WOW your system is sweet! Nice job on that. I think what I'm going to do is rig up my power wire by runing it under the car. I know this is a dumb@#% thing to do but I don't really care because I have confidence that it will work fine and not give me any problems. If you have the time could you take a pic inside your hood at where the power wire runs maybe I can find a spot that wouldn't have to be rigged. Thanks Bro.
Derek

Mate that is a terrible idea and you're leaving yourself wide open to problems!

Just take it somewhere they will charge you bugger all to run that wiring through the car!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:49 AM

haha, I know its a terrible idea but I have never let anybody install a stereo in my car. I don't think it would be to bad, even if the powerwire happened to some how arc to the car, the fuse would just blow before any serouse damage would happen.