SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Modified Air intake for the slk230

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
06' Clk 500 Cabriolet, 01' CL 55, 00' Clk 430
Originally Posted by BUFU
I a 99 slk230 it came w/ the sport package. I recently got it and like my previous cars I can't leave it stock. I am kind of skeptic since this is my first benz. I really don't much about german cars so I really don't know where yo start w/ mods. Any recommendations from any long time benz owners will be gravy.I notice you got one bazzle, did you feel the difference after the pully kit and was it worth it?

Linh here.........just drop me an e-mail at ldnguyen1970@hotmail.com for more info on the pulley kit for your car. Btw, thank you for all the kind words guys. I know it will pay off in the long run when you treat your customer to the best of your ability. So far, 100% satifaction with the kit.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 slk 230
what did you guys use to attach the air filter to the wastegate on the supercharger? it looks like a thermostate housing, If that is what it is did you happen to find one that bolts right up or did you drill new holes?
Old 02-13-2006, 09:47 PM

1998 Mercedes-Benz SLK 230
I just fabbed one up to fit and used gasket silicone for a air tight seal. I used a short peace of exhaust pipe and a flat peace of metal that I ground down to shape up, drilled the holes for the bolts, welded the pipe onto the sheet metal and tada fabbed up mount it works great too, thats the best part, lol.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:34 PM

SLK230
Hey abbring.... I'm currently the highest bid on ebay right now for the body kit. Do you have any better or bigger pictures than the one web site you recommended.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:39 PM

SLK230
Bigger Supercharger????

High cost;$2000-up
Rentech cams
Cylinder bore to 250
Even if you had all this I don't think you would top 250-260 hp.

Squishy man, are you serious? You just made me depressed. What about a bigger supercharger? Anybody know anything about upgrading a supercharger or any other aftermarket supers? Like AMG or Brabus?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:38 AM

Hey,
Being an ex street racer the first thing I did when I got this car was spent some serouse time on the internet searching for mods, and what I found was slim to nill. I found a performance chip that was 670$ That is about all I have to add to that list, you would be doing pretty good with headers, chip, moded air box, and a pulley kit.
Abbring
Old 02-14-2006, 04:02 PM

SLK
BUFU,
Yea, I meant the entire list for the 250 - 260 hp.

Your best money spent is Linh's pulley kit.

Then I would do throttle body, header, cats, muffler, chip. In that order.
You wont see much increase after that for the cost.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:35 PM

Don't waste your money with the cats, you won't get any gain besides a much louder exhaust. Same goes for muffler, waste of money, terrible rice rocket sound, very low hp gains. You could almost run racing gas in your car and have better results than going with the cats and muffler. Read around on this site, you find what people have tried and what works best. Pulley kit, Header, air box mod, chip. That should put you some where around 230-245 hp for less than 2500$.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:26 PM

SLK230
SUPERCHARGERS!!!

Does anybody have a clue if they sell bigger supercharges at dealers or aftermarket shops??
Old 02-15-2006, 02:34 AM

Just a quick question for you, what would you want a bigger supercharger for? What you need is more forced psi into your pistions. A different pulley kit would give you this. There is a max amount of psi that you would want to comfortablly run and with linh's pulley kit its about at the max.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:56 AM

SLK
Abbring,
The cats will give you an increase and as for the muffler you don't put a fart can on these cars you use the Eiseman, Brabus or Carlsson muffler.

I have a Carlsson and it has a nice deep tone especially when first started up.

Change the muffler and your car wont sound like a tractor anymore!

Oh and as for racing gas 104 octane your car will not benifit or see any increase becaust the ECM is set to use 93 octane.

You would have to have the dealer change the setting for it to do anything.

Last edited by Squishy; 02-15-2006 at 07:59 AM.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:45 PM

I just don't see the point in spending that much money to gain such a little horse power gain, if any noticeable lost time in the 1/4 mile. A fart cannon, if you will, (and no I have never used one) is a high flow muffler; so its a muffler with out as much restriction. Make it sound like junk. A high performance muffler is a muffler with less restriction as well. Makes it sound less junky. Being a 4 banger I found that over the years with varous cars, no matter what brand of exhaust you use, it will never have a awesome sound, simply put you can't make a 4 banger sound good. I think the stock sound is the best on this car. If yours sounded like a tractor maybe your exhaust had some holes in it, possibly internal in the muffler? Are you kidding me about the octaine!? That is fine if the ECM is set to a certain point for the octain, that just sets the air fuel mixture ratio. Because I already changed the air box, I am running rich now, the boost in octane would equal the air fuel mixture out once again and I actually have a positive gain with noticalble throttle response when I up the octaine. (although I don't need as many points as racing fuel.) I used to street race alot, so yeah through trial and error and lots of research I have found what works best and whats a waste of money. Oh and yeah ever car is different, I know that... but when it comes to four banger's and there engine mod's....... they are all some what universal in the gains and no gains you will get.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:16 PM

SLK
The 3 manufactures I listed tune their muffler for this car.

The sound blows the stock muffler away.

Until you spend the money and install one, your comments are just uninformed guesses.

Not every mod is done for performance increase.

That is all I have to say on this issue.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:13 PM

All I have to say on this issue is you can not make a 4 banger sound good. V-8's for sound, everything else....terrible. And as for me being uninformed...what was the comment you posted about the octaine? So I will stay with my stock muffler and cats that don't sound like a tractor and will be happy.

Last edited by Abbring; 02-15-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:54 AM

SLK230
As for the muffler thing I just installed a magnaflow muffler. I agree w/ abbring about not making 4 bangers sound good w/ new exhaust systems. But then theres the whiny, annoying, leaf blower noise (most commonly found on non V-tec Hondas) and theres the deep toned, smooth noise exhaust found on modded V-tecs and my SLK, which is something I can put up with. I agree that V8's will always sound better than a fart cannon 4 banger, but my slk sounds alot better w/ the new magnaflow. My preference? Magnaflow. One last thing your issues are really about preference more than whats better. Squishy...... who wouldn't want to go bigger on a stock supercharger? I heard good thing about linh's pully kits and I might just get one but all i'm asking is if anybody has heard about a bigger super so I can grab one.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:14 AM

Exclamation Custom Intakes for the SLK230 kompressor

I build custom cold air intake systems in the Raleigh NC area. I have a local guy with a SLK230 kompressor who would like me to fabricate an intake system for his SLK. After taking a quick look at the engine bay it seems that it would not be terribly difficult for me to fabricate a system for his car.

I however, do have a few questions for you guys.

I noticed those who have made their own homemade intakes seem to always vent the BOV into the atmosphere (and have a filter installed on it).

would it not be more ideal to have the BOV vent back into the intake tract as it done with the OEM airbox? Or have you all found it is better to vent into the atmosphere?

I can do either way and keep it looking very clean and fresh.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:29 PM

I am not sure because I only tried it the one way HOWEVER, make sure your customer knows ahead of time that there will be a whinning sound that is pretty damn loud and I'm getting to the point of wanting to turn it back to stock its very noticable and to my opionin that sound cheapin's the car quite a bit.
Thanks
Abbring
Old 03-11-2006, 05:40 PM

custom intakes

Having such a noise is very typical for a factory supercharged car with installation of an aftermarket intake.

The backfiring noise some of you speak of is likely the BOV, thats why i feel having the BOV routed back into the intake may greatly reduce the above noise.

How much interest is there on this forum for an aftmarket intake system for this car? I should be able to produce them for $300-$375. The intake system will be a replacement of both the intake/bov and throttle body side.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:51 PM

2000 SLK 230 Designo Copper Sport Edition
Yeah, I think it is better if the bypass valve is attached back into the intake. You should post this at http://benzworld.org/forums/forums/f...iew.asp?fid=26 . A group buy would be great
Old 03-12-2006, 05:36 PM

custom intakes

I will hit up that forum as well. Thank you for the information.

Do any of you know anyone who has any Benz or other cars in the Raliegh/Durham area of North Carolina? If so have them contact me via email to Grandmasterkhan@gmail.com
Old 06-21-2008, 04:09 PM

1999 slk230
Originally Posted by bazzle
Found these pics --- Not mine

Bazzle
Seems like both mods (pictures) are pulling hot air right from the engine bay?
Old 06-21-2008, 05:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdalesch
Seems like both mods (pictures) are pulling hot air right from the engine bay?
Agree. I dont think ANYBODY has been able to improve on trhe original MB setup.
Just a way for shops to sell parts you dont need.

Bazzle
Old 10-29-2019, 03:55 PM

C230 Kompressor w202
Hello guys, I would like to know if you can help me with a question: I have a 1996 C230k W202 and I am making some modifications to the car in order to gain more power ... I replaced the kompressor motor pulley with a larger one (kleeman) and also removed the magnet that rotates the kompressor pulley, welded the pulley to work every time ... but the air relief valve (dump valve ) that opens and closes It is not working. is it because of the magnetic I took? or is the part in trouble? thanks
Old 01-01-2022, 05:25 PM

slk 230
Air box mod

What size diameter is the orange filter? Also is the metal mechanism it’s mounted on flat, or does it have a lip?