SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Gas overfill problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2002, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 230SLK LE
Unhappy Gas overfill problems

Hi all, hopefully someone here has some advice on what I can do with a recurrent problem on my car. This does not happen all the time, but about 10-15 miles into a new tank of gas, I'll get a stumbling of the engine and sometimes a heavy gas smell. Engines dies when I put the clutch in and tries to die when I'm moving and the clutch is engaged. Not fun, especially when I find myself in the middle of an intersection. Anyhow, I've visited my dealership which replaces the fouled pugs or the canister or the fuel distribution rails. I constantly tell then that I DO NOT overfill the gas tank or try to top it off. On the otherhand, I should not have to purposely underfill my gas tank just so this problem does not happen. This will be the 8th time I've taken the care back to the dealership for the same problem. Right now, all they are planning is to change the canister again. I do not know the Regional Service person for Dallas, TX so I have no idea how to escalate this problem further. Any advice would be very helpful.
Thanks!
Old 08-15-2002, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB SLK 200 Kompressor , BMW Z4
Are you sure that its because of the gas?

I had the same problem but it was about the engine air - intake part(i don't know the name- called debimeter here) which i changed this summer - (a part which regulates the air intake flow ) btw its damn expensive..lol

Hope your problem is more simpler and cheaper than mine
GL with your MB