SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Where to tap signal for a sub install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 ML63, 13 GTR, 16 Tesla X
Where to tap signal for a sub install?

I tried to find an answer by searching but couldn't find anything conclusive. I'm going to leave the stock HU in the car for right now since the car has a 6 disc changer. I'm going to add a sub and amp to the factory system. I'd rather not take apart the dash. Can I tap a signal wire that goes to the amp for the woofers behind the seats? My amp accepts both high and low inputs.

Thanks.
Old 05-22-2006, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like an idea. Filter on sub input should filter any too high.

Bazzle
Old 05-22-2006, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by bazzle
Sounds like an idea. Filter on sub input should filter any too high.

Bazzle
Yeah, and my amp has a built-in low pass cross over as well. I have a post going on Benzworld as well. A member there is just recommending I swap out the head unit as it is pretty easy. I already have a nice head unit that is just sitting in my closet, so I may just use that.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:07 PM

Swapping out the head unit is simple but may not be the easiest solution.

If your current head unit is running seperate amps hidden someone in the car then the only wires you will have coming out of your head unit will be "pre amp" levels feeds which will then dissapear off to your amp.

I am guessing your "spare" headunit has a built in amp ?

That means that it's outputs will need to go straight into the speakers NOT into the amp ?

So, what ever way you do it, existing head unit, new head unit - You really need to find where the wires are that go FROM the amp TO the speakers.

Once you have found them, in fact you only need one pair, you can take a feed from that into your new amp that is going to run you sub.

You could take a pre-amp feed from behind the head unit to your new amp but personally the chances of that splice mucking up the existing sound is higher by taking it there, it would take it out AFTER the amp - Lets face it, you cannot really hear SUB freqs, only feel them so you do not need the cleanest of signals to start with.

Just my opinion
Old 05-23-2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by justin1230smith
Swapping out the head unit is simple but may not be the easiest solution.

If your current head unit is running seperate amps hidden someone in the car then the only wires you will have coming out of your head unit will be "pre amp" levels feeds which will then dissapear off to your amp.

I am guessing your "spare" headunit has a built in amp ?

That means that it's outputs will need to go straight into the speakers NOT into the amp ?

So, what ever way you do it, existing head unit, new head unit - You really need to find where the wires are that go FROM the amp TO the speakers.

Once you have found them, in fact you only need one pair, you can take a feed from that into your new amp that is going to run you sub.

You could take a pre-amp feed from behind the head unit to your new amp but personally the chances of that splice mucking up the existing sound is higher by taking it there, it would take it out AFTER the amp - Lets face it, you cannot really hear SUB freqs, only feel them so you do not need the cleanest of signals to start with.

Just my opinion
Justin,

Valid points. I've talked to a member on BenzWorld who used the line outs from the Alpine headunit and ran them to the factory Bose amps and it sounds great. He needed a ground loop isolator ($20 part) and just changed one of the sides to a + and - wire configuration rather than the RCAs.

I'll definitely post up pictures and a full explanation once I'm done to help others out.

-Alan
Old 05-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 SLK 320 , 1970 Chevelle SS
Why do you want to put an amp in there? When it comes with one already in it.

Ken
Old 05-23-2006, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by 70chevelle396
Why do you want to put an amp in there? When it comes with one already in it.

Ken
Amp & Sub. Stock system doesn't provide enough bass for my listening preferences.

Trending Topics

Old 05-25-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I pulled the wires from the rear speakers but remember they are running reverse polarity and you still need a remote wire to turn the amp on and that is behind the head unit. I can't remember the color now but its back there. Pulling the deck isn't that hard at all.