SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: pre-owned purchasing decisions S2000 vs. SLK230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 slk350
pre-owned purchasing decisions S2000 vs. SLK230

Okay, to start I'm looking at picking up a drop top on a budget. Right now I'm considering a used S2000, or possibly a used SLK230. Either would be from around 1999-2001 probably. I'm sure this will be an apples to oranges comparison.

Concerns for me include: reliability, gas mileage, and comfort mainly. I love the S2000's total sports car feel, but since this will be a daily driver, I'm not a big fan of a terribly bumpy ride all the time. Furthermore, my girlfriend is a big fan of having the top up, since she sunburns easily. I like the idea of a retractable hard top. I suppose I need to test drive one to see if I fit (6'3").

Opinions?
Old 05-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 SLK 32
Apples and oranges is an understatement... The SLK has a high torque low RPM engine that pulls right from the start. It has to the car weighs over 3,000 lbs. The S2K has an oversized motorcycle engine that needs high RPM to get power to the road. Both are good cars, but they both have a different owner in mind. Overall I would say that the SLK is smoother, and quieter, while still having good handling characteristics. The SLK has a steel roof that gives it a solid feel when it's up. 1999 cars have had some problems with the roof switches, the '98's and 2000's and later don'tThe S2K is somewhat more agile, and quicker in the turns, but it's nowhere near as solidly built, and in the worst case, is not as safe in an accident. Test drive them and see what you like and don't like. That's the best way to choose....
I'm a little biased, I had a 1998 230K, and sold it after I bought my SLK 32. Two SLK's will make you biased...
Old 05-26-2006, 03:42 PM

06 slk350
Thanks for the reply Bruce. I would expect nothing more than a complete bias on mbworld

Thanks for the tip on the 99 model. Now I must ask about your 98. Did you have any kind of reliability issues? I've heard that this model has plenty of electrical gremlins from sources other than mbworld, but I'd rather take advice from those who own them
Old 05-26-2006, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The electrics are mainly just roof switches on 99to 2000. Most would of been fixed by now, not a hard job or too expensive.
98 seem to me to be the less reported with problems. I bought one but would get ANY year if I was to buy another.
I lookes at S2000 as well and agree with above comments. Also I joined the http://www.s2ki.com/forums/ and read about common mechanical driveline problems I didnt need

Bazzle
Old 05-26-2006, 08:59 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 SLK 320 , 1970 Chevelle SS
If your 6'3 you wont fit in a SLK

Ken
Old 05-27-2006, 02:15 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 SLK 32
Originally Posted by E420mule
Thanks for the reply Bruce. I would expect nothing more than a complete bias on mbworld

Thanks for the tip on the 99 model. Now I must ask about your 98. Did you have any kind of reliability issues? I've heard that this model has plenty of electrical gremlins from sources other than mbworld, but I'd rather take advice from those who own them
The only problem I had was a re occurring Check Engine Light..... The light was for a faulty fuel tank pressurization valve that took a long time to diagnose. Other then that the car was trouble free..........
Old 05-27-2006, 05:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=70chevelle396]If your 6'3 you wont fit in a SLK

Ken[/QU
A few owners over on Benzworld that tall .
They mentioned just removing a pad under dash thats fitted to USA cars.

Bazzle
Old 05-28-2006, 12:05 PM

2005 SLK 55
I'm 6'4" and fit in my SLK!
Old 05-28-2006, 07:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by 70chevelle396
If your 6'3 you wont fit in a SLK
I'm 6'2" and fit in my SLK just fine...

Bottom line, you need to get out there and test drive both vehicles.

Also, be aware that all SLK's have a seat height adjustment, even the manually operated ones. But some folks who are selling these cars won't know how to do it!
Old 06-04-2006, 12:41 PM

hey i was just got over the same situation. i had been a fan of the s2000 since its debut. always been a honda man and thought i would always own a honda. so i've been saving up and was all set to buy a 03-04 s2k and am active on the s2ki boards and everything. I took it for a drive and loved the way it drove. it hugs the road, accellerates so quickly after 2nd, and just feels like youre part of the vehicle when youre inside. A few days later I tested my co-workers 00 SLK and noticed some distinct differences.

Its MUCH more quiet.
It has better features and sound system.
The ride is much smoother, I'm a commuter so thats very important.
The hard top makes the care almost like a coupe when up vs. a crumby rag top
Its quicker off the line. I dont need that high end speed because i live in San Diego and theres no where you can drive that fast without getting pulled over
Chicks like the body style waaaaay more than the S2k
and finally of course, its a mercedes which really says something to people who see you in it, whether you agree with it or not.

All that said the slk is only slightly more expensive to purchase and from what i've read just as reliable. The good thing about an older s2k though is it will be much cheaper to maintain and repair. You should definitely factor that into the purchase price. How long do you plan on keeping this vehicle?
Old 07-04-2006, 01:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
moon buggy
Originally Posted by E420mule
I suppose I need to test drive one to see if I fit (6'3").

Opinions?
I'm 5'8" 185 and I fit snugly in an S2000. Yes, I own one (MY 2000) and
sometimes I wish I'm driving an SLK in my commute instead of an S2000.
But then again, the 2 cars are way different from each other.
IMHO, the s2000 is quicker off the line and hugs the road better. For a much more tamed driving experience (commuter car) I would definitely consider an SLK (Perhaps SLK32)

good luck in your decision, if you haven't made one already.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:25 AM

I'm in the same boat as you are... i'm 6'1 and i'm looking for a roadster... i love the feel of a 2 seat open car...

Here's my delimma... My company just moved me to Korea... and I'm looking to buy a car now... I already have a dailly driver.. and i'm looking for a fun weekend car and occassional track driving...

I've driven both cars... and I have to admit there are reasons why I would buy either one... the sittuation is that SLKs are SUPER common in Korea.. so I can easily find one... HOWEVER... S2000s are super rare and hence more expensive... and its hard to find a reasonably priced left hand drive... all of them are grey markets from Japan and right hand drive.. but it will be a weekend car.. so I don't mind... I use to live in Japan and driving a right hand drive car is not a problem... but a right hander in a left hand world is tough...

S2000 feels MUCH more sportier in my opinion.. the high rev motor feels cool... SLK feels much more docile and feels much more luxurious... I'd rather have the S2000... but my cousin spun his S2k and had a major accident... it rains and snows here.. so I think the SLK would be a better choice for several reasons...

With that all said.. i'm still not sure what to buy... hhehehe...

Goood luck with your choice!!!
Old 07-23-2006, 02:45 AM

'99 SLK230
I just made this decision myself and I went with the slk because I felt it was a much more forgiving car to drive. The clutch in the s2k is extremely touchy compared to the clutch in the slk, the extra torque was also a nice bonus. The S2k was a really fun car to drive and the ****pit was actually a little quieter in terms of wind noise with the top down. With the top up though (of course) the slk is much better in terms of wind noise also the passengers foot well is kind of encroached upon by the transmission in the s2k which wouldn't be cool for your girlfriend. The overall smoothness of the ride in the slk is much better also considering the fact that its more of a mid-rich mans roadster rather then a sport/track car.

In terms of looks the SLK is a little girly in my opinion I actually had a girl call it cute today and I just said "yeah that's what I thought about it too" but I was honestly surprised at how many heads actually turn while driving it. The S2K is definitely a more manly car outside I always likened the headlights to the eyes of a hawk or a falcon I would think though that less girls would know what they were looking at since it doesn't have the star on it. The interior is definitely more luxury style in the Mercedes it has classic looking MB gauges and the dash is much less driver oriented more accommodating to the passenger. The interior of the s2k on the other hand is completely driver oriented and extremely sporty. The width of the center console alone makes you feel like you're in a rocket, The extremely low feeling stance is an amazing rush. If memory serves me correctly the only controls the passenger has are the radio and their window. I might be wrong about that last part though, anyway thats just a few thoughs I have on the subject I might post more if later I dunno I'm getting tired
Old 10-15-2006, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by jonomo
I'm in the same boat as you are... i'm 6'1 and i'm looking for a roadster... i love the feel of a 2 seat open car...

Here's my delimma... My company just moved me to Korea... and I'm looking to buy a car now... I already have a dailly driver.. and i'm looking for a fun weekend car and occassional track driving...

I've driven both cars... and I have to admit there are reasons why I would buy either one... the sittuation is that SLKs are SUPER common in Korea.. so I can easily find one... HOWEVER... S2000s are super rare and hence more expensive... and its hard to find a reasonably priced left hand drive... all of them are grey markets from Japan and right hand drive.. but it will be a weekend car.. so I don't mind... I use to live in Japan and driving a right hand drive car is not a problem... but a right hander in a left hand world is tough...

S2000 feels MUCH more sportier in my opinion.. the high rev motor feels cool... SLK feels much more docile and feels much more luxurious... I'd rather have the S2000... but my cousin spun his S2k and had a major accident... it rains and snows here.. so I think the SLK would be a better choice for several reasons...

With that all said.. i'm still not sure what to buy... hhehehe...

Goood luck with your choice!!!
Got my S2000 a few months ago... great price... love it.. no regrets....

I just happened on my old post for some reason.. hehe

anywho.. went on a nice scenic drive this weekend with my wife.. the car was perfect..

my only complaint.. noisy ride with the top UP!!!

ps... carbon fiber hood was not my idea.. it came like that... but i did get the rims though with some nice Yokohamas...
Old 11-10-2006, 01:27 AM

'99 SLK230
Originally Posted by jonomo
Got my S2000 a few months ago... great price... love it.. no regrets....

I just happened on my old post for some reason.. hehe

anywho.. went on a nice scenic drive this weekend with my wife.. the car was perfect..

my only complaint.. noisy ride with the top UP!!!

ps... carbon fiber hood was not my idea.. it came like that... but i did get the rims though with some nice Yokohamas...
I kinda like the hood.. makes it look like a bee