SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Stop ligt does not work.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stop ligt does not work.

Hello ,

After a week I bought 1999 slk230, it had a warning indicator on for a stop light. I thought the bulb went out, so
I just bought new one and tried to replace. The old one on it was not bad, but I replaced with a new one anyway, but still does not work and still showing te warning indicator.

What's wrong with it?

Can anyone help me? I hate to take it to dealer for just a stop ligght.

Thank you.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:28 AM

2001 SLK320 (It's red - Magma Red)
These cars are notorius for bad brake lights (from my own experience and the experiences of those on this and other forums). In fact, I know of someone who sold her SLK jsut because of this issue. I always have to laugh a little whenever I come up behind another SLK (or any M-B for that matter) that has a blown brake light.

Anyway, these cars have a defective brake lamp assembly that overheats and ruins the contacts with the bulbs. So, naturally, a new bulb won't help.
M-B has notified the NHTSA that it intends to do a recall on the assemblies, affecting some 60-odd thousand cars. This should happen sometime in the second quarter of 2006.

Astute readers will note that the second quarter of 2006 has come and gone, so maybe it will start about a month ago. Anyway, do a search for SLK brake light recall on this and/or other forums. Someone has even posted the actual M-B letter (which I can provide if you can't find it). I have a brake light that works intermittantly and I'm just waiting it out. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:30 PM

'00/'04 SLK230 Designo Copper, '17 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Ultimate
Recall Follow-up

I just spoke to a representative at MB USA regarding a recall on this and he said they haven't received anything about it.

Until then, and if you don't want to replace the ***'y just yet, you can bend the contacts out a little bit on the bulb holder so that it makes contact with the pads on the ***'y. It will at least make it functional and will extinguish your "Light Out" indicator.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:02 PM

I found a little hole at the contact on assembly side. I guess it had been sparking for a while and the hole became too big and no contact occured. I twisted the metal piece on the bulb socket and avoided the hole. Now it works fine.
I hope they'll do recall and we get brand new tail assembly for free.

Thank you guys!
Old 08-05-2006, 02:01 PM

1999 SLK 230
I posted this solution about a year and a half ago. My lights are still working fine.

"Had the same problem and decided to try a fix. I removed the lens assembly and usung a small hand grinder (ie Dremel) cleaned the contact area and then applied a bead of solder to the pitted areas. Used the grinder to smooth the area and rerassembled. This fix has held for well over a year . Also applied dielectric grease to the contact area."

Hope this helps
Old 08-22-2006, 04:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Brake lights

I had the same problem.
My fix...
Have someone press the brake pedal down and hold it
I twisted the bulb back and forth in the socket until it made contact
I have had no problems since.
Old 09-18-2006, 03:22 PM

Exclamation ***Brakelight Recall Update***

FYI...For any of you wanting/waiting for the recall letter to reach you, you shouldn't need to. I called my local dealer here in Las Vegas and inquired about a possible recall on my SLK. She took my VIN and confirmed that there is a recall on my VIN. I had NOT recieved a letter from MBUSA yet. She scheduled me for Wednesday.

Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2006, 12:30 AM

'99 SLK230
I'm definately calling about the recall tomorrow this problem has me so paranoid I have conciously not used my brakes for long periods of time.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by scbysnx
...this problem has me so paranoid I have conciously not used my brakes for long periods of time.
Doesn't that make stopping a little difficult?

Got mine done! I haven't looked to see what's different in the design yet, if any. I'll do that this weekend. I'm still planning to use di-electric grease if there's any chance of the connector tabs bouncing around.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:55 PM

'99SLK Sport, silver
http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mercedes-...005/index.html
Old 09-29-2006, 05:10 PM

'99 SLK230
ever seen the flinstones? .. yeah it hurts but it works.. this will make life much easier though
Old 09-29-2006, 05:12 PM

'99 SLK230
ever seen the flinstones? .. yeah it hurts but it works.. this will make life much easier though