SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: New to the SLK World

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SLK230
New to the SLK World

Hi people I just bought a 2001 SLK 230 with 94k Miles on it for 17K. I have had it for only 2 months now and ony had one problem. The 02 sensors goes bad on it. Is this a normal problem that happens all the time on these cars.

I dunno how I feel about this car, I went from driving a 1999 Lexus ES300 to this mercedes. Sometimes I feel this car just isn't as solid as the Lexus. Do you guys think I paid too much for this car. The car also came with 18inch Lorinser rims which retails for 4,000 dollars. At 94K miles am I expected a lot of maintence for this car?? I know you guys have a lot more knowledge, what are some common issues that I am going to have to deal with?? Any tips or tricks to this car that anyone can pass along. Let me know your opinion on how solid these cars are. I just want to reassure myself that I did the right thing by purchasing this car.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:12 AM

'00/'04 SLK230 Designo Copper, '17 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Ultimate
Welcome!

Hey dmxjp!

I'm fairly new to the SLK world myself. There's a lot of knowledge to be gained from many of the folks here.

The solidness of ANY car has to do with how it was treated. Not knowing that, I can't tell you how yours stacks up. I bought my '00 with approx. 73K for $16K. It's a Designo Copper Ed., so I was willing to pay a little more, but I think I got a pretty good deal. It's a very solid car and a blast to drive (top up or down), but I don't know how it would stack up to a Lexus ES300 never owning/driving one. And given the condition of the car, I believe it was treated with respect. Anyway, the O2s are a common issue if that's really what the problem is. The MAFS (mass airflow sensor) is also a common culprit. I've cleaned/inspected all 3 (There are 2 O2 sensors on the 230.) with positive results. There are many threads to explain how to care for these items if you have the availability of doing some of the work yourself. Just use the advanced search tool.

That's enough for now. Look forward to seeing you around!

Happy driving!

Kevin
Old 08-15-2006, 12:00 PM

2001 SLK230
Thanks

Thanks a lot Kevin, any other responses would be great too.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:23 AM
Almost a Member!

You're suggesting that a Mercedes is NOT solid?!? That's a

There are 2 reasons why you're perceiving this:
1. The SLK is a very small car with tight suspension -- you can hear everything that's going on in the driveline, and the slightest rattle when you go over a bump. That's the price you pay for superior handling...in ANY car. The Lexus, on the other hand is a big, soft car -- the complete opposite to the SLK.
2. The Lorinser rims likely have very low profile tires -- what I call "rubber bands". These will only serve to amplify what I was describing above. If you want to improve ride quality, go back to stock-size rims and tires.

I'm amazed that you found an '01 with 94K miles! I thought I was getting a high-mileage car when I bought my '01 with 68K miles.

With regards to reliability, as mentioned before the O2 sensors and MAF sensors can cause problems, but they aren't major issues. The MAF should be cleaned before anyone suggests replacing it.

However, your biggest problem will be the quality (and cost) of service from your dealer. If you're not satisfied, go elsewhere!
Old 08-22-2006, 06:19 PM

99 SLK 230 - US Model
Smile

I've had my SLK 230 for just over a year now and am very satisfied with it.

When I bought my 99 it had 74K miles on it and I paid $17K for it. I actually thought the price was a little low, but I didn't argue.

I've been to the dealer on 2 occassions and during both times thought I was being taken. I guess they assume that if you own a MB you must be RICH and if you are RICH you don't pay attention (and don't care) to what hings costs so you pay whatever is asked. While I did need some routine maintenance on the car the dealer quoted me almost 3 hours to change 4 spark plugs (I did the job in 23 minutes) and over 2 hours to change the fuel filter (I did the job in 20 minutes).

Shop on the internet for parts and you will pay much less than the dealer; possibly saving as much as 75%. Do the suggested and required maintenance; get it over with. Treat it like the fine car that it is and you will not have any significant problems with it.

How ever you do it I would suggest having a professional go over the car with a "fine tooth comb", then repair as necessary. You will be happy that you made this small investment.

Enjoy!

Contractsguy