SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Problems Installing OEM CD Changer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems Installing OEM CD Changer

Hi guys, my girlfriend has a 2001 SLK 320 and wanted a CD Changer. She bought an OEM used one off eBay. The guy is a big MB used parts seller with excellent feedback and "claims" all changers were tested before being shipped out. With that said, here's my issue:

1. I've removed the head unit and put the cd in and cd out wires in the same harness. (I made sure the red fiber optic was on the left in both cases). I connected that back into the head unit and replaced it in the dash.

2. In the rear, I put the HU in and HU out in the same harness again, making sure the red fiber optic was on the left.

3. I went to connect the power cable to the cd changer and it didn't seem like it wanted to "snap or click" in place. Upon examining the existing power cable, it had some "grime" or build up (very small amounts) on it. I attempted cleaning up what any grime on the cable I could and even attempted boring out the holes on the connecter to make sure it would get a clean connection. With a heck of a lot of force......I was able to get the power cable to go all the way down in the cd changer and then connect the fiber optics. I checked the pins on the cd changer and as far as I can see they look straight and fine....even after I forced the connector down on them.

4. When I tried to turn the car on.....there appears to be no power what so ever to the cd changer. It doesn't make a sound and the eject light doesn't light up nor does it work.

5. I figure, there are two possible issues. 1. I could have received a DOA CD changer or 2. that power cable had sat back and got some moisture on it (the car is an 01 and has 75k miles on it.....she just now bought it) and now the connectors are shot. It definetely doesn't go in there smoothly and nicely clip into place.

Any ideas? Anyone know of a way to either test my cd changer to see if it works, then I would know if it's my power cable. Also, anyone know anything about the power cable? I'm guessing if it is the power cable.....that's going to be over my head and I'm going to have to turn it over to an MB tech. Just hate to see her get a $350 bill from our local MB dealer for a bum connector.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 09-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 SLK 320 , 1970 Chevelle SS
You should have bought the CD changer new. As soon as you connect the wires to the CD changer, the eject button should work. I have a 2001 SLK 320 that I bought a year ago. I put the CD changer in it. The CD changer and the mounting kit cost almost a thousand dollars. I thought about getting one off of EBAY, but I decided not to. You could test to see if your getting power to one of those wires that plugs into the CD changer.

Ken
Old 09-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Almost a Member!

You're not the only one. I bought a CD changer off ebay, too. It didn't fit like the seller claimed it would. And the azzhat wouldn't take it back. So I sold it. Buyer gets it and discovers it doesn't work. So I do the return and refund thing. I sell it again -- described as "broken."

I got about half my original money back.

For my SLK, I simply decided to install an Alpine aftermarket head unit. Best 150 bucks I ever spent!
Old 09-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Almost a Member!

cd changer

I also bought a 'new' cd changer off e-bay for my SLK. Installed it but still didn't work. Took it to the dealer who had to 'sync' the system ($100) and it worked fine.....for a while. Have had off and on problems with 'NO CD CHANGER" on a number of occassions.
I saved $700 by doing it this way but I only got my monies worth which is a part-time CD player. But when it does work, I love it. When it doesn't work, I curse myself for being cheap.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:48 AM

'02 slk230
cornfused here... Alpine head unit? (or cd changer?) can ya name any particular model? Do all Alpine work with the Mb radio???? (Newbie here)
Thanks!
Old 09-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Almost a Member!

Almost any aftermarket head unit will work in these cars, but I recommend Alpine because it seems to interface OK with the Bose amplifier. Here's a link that explains more:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...unit-swap.html

Note that although there is some criticism of the Radio Shack ground loop isolator mentioned in the linked thread, it works just fine for me, and I'm something of an audiophile. I've decided to keep the setup as is with the Alpine head unit and Bose amp...don't really need to replace the Bose amp.