SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: what happened to the guys from mbnz.org?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2002, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 M6 Vert
what happened to the guys from mbnz.org?

Just wondering where all the guys have gone. It looks like none of the familiar names are here. Come out come out whereever you are
Old 09-03-2002, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
99' SLK 230 & 01' CLK 430
Well, i still visit this forum all the time but you notices that i only posted my post in the Perf. & tunning because most of the Slk owner here seem to don't care or no interesting in doing anythings with their car. The funny thing is, it a total opposite compared to mbnz.org. Everyone over there are alway talk about performance..etc,
Old 09-03-2002, 03:49 PM

2008 M6 Vert
You are so right.

Linh: Are you planning to get the new CLK?
Old 09-03-2002, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Smile Hi Keng1!

So what is up with you? What mods have you done on your SLK?
Old 09-04-2002, 09:08 AM

2008 M6 Vert
Benggolf: Well I kinda left my SLK alone for the moment. I may get the AMG body kit for it but was thinking the body shape is going to change soon and I will probably trade it in next year when it does.

For the time being, I am looking at purchasing a new car. First I was looking at the C320 but then I saw the W209 CLK320. The prices keep going up. Now I am doing a toss up between a new CLK320 and a used 00' Porsche 996 Cab C4 (which costs even more). Problem is that I may have to move to San Francisco. With the hills, I figured I should get an auto. hence the 996 would not be a good daily ride.

Any comments?

How does the mini cooper run? I saw a couple here and they look like really fun cars.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 Prius & Miata MX5 PRHT, 2010 Toyota Venza AWD, 05 C55 AMG, Yamaha 1100 Custom, Honda 250 Reflex
Keng1, I think you will have to decide...

on what you are looking for. If you are keeping your C280, then it would make sense to have a sports car to drive ocassionally and use the C280 as a daily driver.

If money is no object, go for SLK32 AMG. Have owned 2.7 Boxster, 996 C2, SLK230, CLK430 and SLK32 and I like the SLK32 best. It is a good balance of a performance sports car with enough touch of luxury and comfort plus the advantages if a vario roof.

Porsches are ready great handling cars, but can be a pain to maintain. I would never own a Porsche that is out of warranty because it could cost tons of money to repair. Reliability has not been up to snuff either and expect little problems too like squeaks and rattles! Oil leaks from the crankshaft oil seal and engines suddenly breaking down requiring complete engine replacement are just some of the nagging problems. Suggest you spend some time at the Porsche forum, link follows.

MBs can also have it share of problems. My CLK430 had a dashboard and door squeaks. Hated it so much, I traded it in with only 800Kms on the odometer.

The MINI Cooper S is a really fun car. If you like to drive and look for great handling, this car gives you a lot of bang for the bucks, bar none! :p Suggest you arrange for a test drive and see for yourself. Good luck.

Funcarsonline
Old 09-04-2002, 12:08 PM

2008 M6 Vert
Smile

Benggolf: thanks for the input. The 00' 996 C4 I am looking at will have its new car warranty till mid 04. I just sold the C280. I guess I should update my profile. I figured I should have a car with an extra (emergency) two seats. Do you think the C4 will be a difficult daily driver? My 230 is a manual which I think is ok but the seats arent the most comfortable if you are driving for a long time. Then again, I havent driven it in hilly SF.

I used to drive a friend's 993 which I found to be terrible in heavy stop and go traffic. How did you find driving the 996? I always find it difficult to tell with a test drive.

You are right though, the maintenance costs on the 996 could potentially be horrible. The SLK32 does sound like an exciting possibility but I still have my SLK230 unless I sell that off too. I have exciting plans for the 996 though. A aero kit without the spoiler. Changing the front bumper and headlamps to the new 02' style. The rear bumper to the turbo style. What do you think??:p
Old 09-04-2002, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seriously, Keng1 having been down that road....

may I advise you not to be carried away emotionally on the 996 C4. I am a believer in paying good money for a car I like, but do expect bullet-proof reliability as well as performance/handling, which my Porsche experience does not cut it. It was fun while it lasted, but am glad I got out before it packed up on me.

Check out the pricing strategy of Porsche using the Boxster S versus SLK32. You pay out of your nose for things that are standard on the MB like, aluminum gauges, stainless door sills, chromed tailpipes, powered sport seats, sport-shift transmission, AM-FM CD/Cassette, floot mats, and the list can go on and on!
To top it off, you don't get the flexibility and security of the vario-roof that comes standard on the SLK32AMG + 349HP which will enable you to easily take 98% of the cars out there.

The ride of the SLK32 is a good balance between comfort and sports handling. Not that the SLK32 has no faults, but it offers tremendous value and reliability at that price.

Again, back to the mods you plan on doing, I doubt if your car will fetch a good price later. Most Porsche buyers are afficionados and don't like anything that is not original (OEM). I urge you to reconsider your options carefully.

Best arrangement is to have a daily driver (sedan) and a Sunday driver (sports car of your choice). Maybe a Mini Cooper S and a SLK32 may be the ideal combo. :p It works for me, for now.