SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Ignition key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2006 | 08:26 PM

'97 SLK 2300 K, BMW R1200 GS (my real passion) '02 Ford Escape XLT
Ignition key

I have searched to no avail so hopefully there might be a solution waiting to be published. We were only given one ignition key when we purchased the car and when the dealer and previous owners couldn't help we bit the bullet and ordered a new one NZ $400 very expensive but also very necessary. It will be here soon we hope.

I noticed the body of the existing key was separating where the key portion hinges to the body. In twisting to turn the ignition off it opens 2 or 3mm - enough for me to see the inner workings. It has obviously been flexing for a while and it looks as someone has put some adhesive in the join where the key sits when retracted. Have any members had any experience with this or similar and I'm wondering if the key can be sucessfully separated and put together again?
Old 09-30-2006 | 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

$400 NZ sounds pretty pricey. Here's a tip, if you just want a key (not a key inside a remote control), ask for the service key with transponder. It's under $30 in the U.S. and makes a great second key if you lost one.

Our keys are orignal and both are still in good shape. They must have abused those poor keys...

BTW, welcome to the forum, we need more people from your end of the world to participate while us Americans are going to bed.