SLK/R170: buying used slk230, some questions first

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2002, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 528
buying used slk230, some questions first

Hi,
At this moment I'm about to buy a used '01 SLK230 . The main thing that I can't seem to get a straight answer on is, is the basic warranty transferrable? The owner doesn't know, and closest thing I can find is the Starmark ones which are transferable. Are these two warranties one and the same? or is the Starmark the extended warranty?

Secondly, as far as problems are concerned, MBs have always been reliable in my book. The only problems I can find across the board for this car is the tail lights burning out, possible problems with the top getting stuck, and minor electrical/sensor annoyances. Is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-04-2002, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 M6 Vert
Hi there

I am quite sure the new car warranty is transferable. Starmark is the extended warranty which can either be purchased or comes with the car when you buy it used from an MB dealer. Of course the Starmark does not cover as much as the new car warranty does (only major mechanical components). To confirm, why dont you call 1800-FOR-MERC (I think thats the number).

The new car warranty should cover any problems with the roof, electrical sensors etc.

I have a 99 and sometimes the rear tail lights go out without blowing the bulb. It comes back when I remove it and replace it. I figure it gets loose when driving on rough roads. It is a great car otherwise.

Good luck with your purchase.