SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Newbie SLK owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 SLK230
Smile Newbie SLK owner

Just brought home a 2000 SLK230, copper, designo package. Drove it 90 miles from where I purchased it. The car is pretty cool and my daughter, who I bought the car for, and my wife, who may steal it from her, look really good in it. Spent a lot of time looking on ebay for cars. We saw many black ones with real pretty interiors. However, the copper color just really caught our eye .

Other than doing the normal maintenance, is there anything else I should look for in regards to known problems or preventative maint? The car has 40K miles on it. So far everything is working as expected, The top goes up and down smoothly and the heated seats can really get hot.

Steve
Old 11-14-2006, 10:45 PM

99 SLK 230 - US Model
Exclamation Periodic Maintenance

Due to the age of your car you can expect to replace a few items very soon. You have both a pre- and post- cat (catalytic converter) O2 sensor. When 1 goes bad, replace both. The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor will also go out soon. You can clean the sensor if your are careful, but it does wear out and will also need to be replaced.

The routine items such as hoses, belt, brake pads, spark plugs, air filters (both engine and cabin) are probably needed. Fuel filter should be replaced about now.

Changing the above items will keep you going for many, many more thousands of miles.

Happy driving!!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 06:26 PM

'00/'04 SLK230 Designo Copper, '17 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport Ultimate
Welcome

Hey Steve! Good to see another Designo Copper. Yours is only the second one I've come across (not including my own). It's nice to stand out from the crowd...lol.

Shoot me an email when you get a chance. kevin.willard@nellis.af.mil
Old 11-15-2006, 08:53 PM

2000 SLK230
Thanks for the answers

I found from another forum I belonged to that asking the people who own and work on their cars is the way to go. It's real world experience that matters most, not just whats in the manuals.

I appreciate the info and will make sure I check those things. Thanks for the good wishes. When the weather finally gets a little nicer here in NY, I will take some pics of the car.

Steve
Old 11-22-2006, 01:23 AM

'99 SLK230
so.. how old's your daughter? .. kidding.. not really but don't shoot me.. as soon as I got mine I had the replace the maf, other then that its been a great car though