SLK/R170: Roof Fluid Low

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 06:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver SLK 230 (1998)
Roof Fluid Low

Hi All,

The roof on my car refuses to retract at all. The roof switch flashes suggesting somethings up. I had checked all of the obvious stuff and noticed that the Hydraulic fluid was just below the minimum line.

Is this something you can do without dealer assistance and if so would anyone have pointers on how its done and what fluid I should use?

Thanks.

Alan
Old 04-13-2007, 12:00 PM

97 C230; 98 SLK230
Hi, I have the same problem. I cannot find how to top up the hydraulic fluid in the pump that controls the convertible top, I can see the Max and Min marks but not sure what to undo or what fluid to use.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:24 PM

97 C230; 98 SLK230
No more options, I bought Hydraulic Fluid at MB dealer. I found how to fill.

I have a problem with the roof hydraulic cylinder, is possible rebuild?

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:59 PM

1998 SLK230
Cool Im going to have to take this to a dealer huh...?

The top does not seem to want to work correctly for me lately. When I push the button it makes a noise like it just isn't catching....then the windows roll up. If I mess with the sensor in the trunk...there is a chance that it might decide to go up after many tries. Really wish that it would have gotten stuck up instead of down.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://mbworld.org/forums/slk-class-r170/191638-cylinder-replacement-vario-top.html

Bazzle
Old 06-12-2007, 03:00 AM

Silver SLK 230 (1998)
Smile Low Fluid - Resolved.

Hello All,

Finally managed to get my roof working last night and as information was a bit thin on the ground thought this may help. Worth noting I am not a merc tech just a keen amateur...

On the right hand side of the boot remove the black panel hatch uncovering the pump, remove the rubber bump stop that the lid sits on and the plastic one on the edge of the boot that’s held on with a bolt. Remove the circular plastic clips that holds the right hand side plastic cover in place. Ultimately I am trying to create movement in the plastic cover so I can attack this from the top through the slot where the roof mechanism disappears into.

I removed the two nuts that hold the pump in place allowing the pump to be lifted slightly in situ and pushed closer to the right hand side of the car. The filler for the fluid is on the top right hand corner of the pump when looking from above. All of the lines are also in this area so when looking at them you should see a bolt on its own in the top right hand corner that needs an allen key to remove. I went from the top with a screwdriver with an allen key bit as it gave me more leaverage. When you remove the bolt you need to be very careful you do not drop the copper washer or bolt!!!

If the fluid is on the minimum it takes very little to fill. Easiest way to fill is to use a syringe and as I say one syringe full filled it. Replace and tighten the bolt, reposition the pump and replace the nuts. Put all the plastic back together and im now enjoying the sun again.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:33 PM
PSB

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for some good info crew!