SLK/R170: Aftermarket Radios?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 SLK 320
Aftermarket Radios?

Hi all,

I own an SLK 320, 2002. Bought it brand new -- had to wait 6 months for it to be built before I could pick it up. I love it.

However..

One thing that has always bothered me about it was the radio. Any recommendations / horror stories about putting aftermarket DVD/CD players in the car? I'd like to go satellite radio, too, but it's not necessary.

Thanks ahead,
~ddd
Old 09-30-2007, 05:20 PM

My CD Changer stop working and I did not want to pay $600 to replace it. so I bought an aftermarket radio that can play MP3 Cds. Now I have a constant buzzing sound at low volumes which I cannot recognize when I listen music louder.
First I thought it was the grounding however, the guy who installed the radio told me that the problem may be with the factory amplifier which is not compatible with the aftermarket radio.
I did not change the amplifier, since it will require a lot of work and rewiring.
My experience was not satisfactory.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:43 AM

C230 SLK Kompressor Sport Coupe 1999, AT
Going to a place like Ultimate Electronics or other professional installer is my strongest recommendation. Don't try it yourself, it isn't as easy as it is on some other cars. I've installed stereos from Crutchfield on all my previous vehicles with great success. But not the Mercedes. Tom Allen at Ultimate Electronics in Fenton, MO did mine and it looked great (wiring was compact and extremely neat) and the stereo sounded amazing. It took about 10 minutes and he didn't even charge me!