SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: headlight replace, help please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy headlight replace, help please!

i just bought a pair of new style halo ring headlights from eBay.
they look very nice on my car. but when i tried to connect all the wires, i found out there are only 3 wires come from my car and there are 4 wires from the new headlight.
they did not send me the adaptor for the wiring stuff and i do not think they will.
Please help me.
what should i do?
just connect the wires by hand and wrap them by tape? but which connects to which?
or should i ask the M-benz guys to do that?
or....
has anyone done this?
Please help me, guys. Thank you so so so so much!

Old 09-21-2007, 12:06 AM

1999 Slk 230
I would try and get the right plug first. If that does not work I would go to a West Marine Store or Boaters World if you are near the coast most big lake towns have a marine store. The wire looks like 14ga wire get the Anchor brand heat shrink butt connectors strip the wire leaving 1/4 inch of wire exposed on each wire. Twist the end of the wire clock wise just a little to tighten the wire twist. Pust he wire in till the insulation hits the little stop inside the connector,crimp tight and heat with a lighter holding it about four inches away and the heat shrink will do just that shrink around the wire do not burn the conectors just heat them but get them real hot but not burning turning brown. You will see the thing tighten around the wire and what you get is a water tight seal and the Anchor brand is tinned metal which does resist corosion. All this is good for headlights which drive straight into the weather.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:57 PM

Smile Thanks

Thanks for ur help. but i am not a handy man, so i brought the car to a bodyshop today. it only took them 2 hrs to get those headlights wiring done and working.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM eBAY FOR UR SLK. That's the lesson i learnt.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by e-raymond
Thanks for ur help. but i am not a handy man, so i brought the car to a bodyshop today. it only took them 2 hrs to get those headlights wiring done and working.

Preerty bold statement mate.
Early SLKs use a different plug than post 2000 models.
MB sells an adaptor cable so they plug together.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170...-adapters.html

All the info on here:http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/

It would help people on here if they knew what you drive and what year and where in the world you are

Bazzle

Last edited by bazzle; 09-22-2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
Originally Posted by e-raymond

What lesson? Half the fun of upgrading my car is doing the work myself. I got most of my parts off of ebay including my new headlights. Mine is a 2002 so I did not need the adaptor so the socket plugged right in. With the adaptor you can plug them right in. Only the Halo lights need to be connected on their own.
Attached Thumbnails headlight replace, help please!-pic126a.jpg  

Last edited by E-Klasse; 09-22-2007 at 09:55 AM.