SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: HELP! Serious problems with my SLK230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230
HELP! Serious problems with my SLK230

Hello! I have a 1999 SLK230 that is in excellent condition even though it has 95,000 miles on it. When I went to start it it had little cranking power (like the battery was low) and when it started it ran terrible (rough as if it wasn't firing on all cylinders). Every singe warning light was illuminated and the tachometer wasn't working. When I drove it wouldn't shift out of first gear (it is an automatic).

My mechanic thought at first that the key had a short in it (the internal microchip) so when I started the car it thought that it was being stolen so the anti-theft device disabled the car (he was amazed I was actually able to get it started). Well, I used a different key and that did not help. Now, he thinks that the modulating board has a short and he wants to replace it. the problem is that 1) this is a $2,500 repair and 2) I am not convinced he is sure what is the problem. He says the diagnostic computers are giving him non-sense problem codes.

Has anyone ever heard of a problem like this with a SLK230 or and other Mercedes. Help!!!
Old 11-05-2007, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never. Sounds like a crank position sensor to me.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK
Change shops or make him agree to return the part when he finds out it is something else causing the problem.

The codes are working he doesn't know how to interpret them.

Get a code reader or take it to Auto Zone and they will tell you the codes. Then post them here or at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/ and you will get the answers.