SLK/R170: UK-spec to France conversions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 230K
UK-spec to France conversions

Hi,

Has anyone previously taken a UK-spec SLK 230 to France and re-registered it? I'm interested in knowing how easy/expensive the headlight conversion (and any other bits) were. Mine is a 2002 model.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The headlights are an easy swap for LHD ones, 3 screws and a plug.
It a bit harder to pull out the steering wheel and put on the other side but

Bazzle
Old 02-19-2008, 07:09 AM

SLK
I'm currently trying to do exactly the opposite - convert my 2002 SLK 200 which is registered in Luxembourg to UK spec. I got a quote for the UK for about £2000, reflecting the fact that I would need a new instrument cluster (my speedo is in Km/H only), new headlights and the rear fog light to be moved.

If you are interested, maybe we could talk about swapping parts?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:40 AM

SLK 230K
Hi, swapping parts might be interesting!

As regards the fog light, I was recently trying to fix my rear lights (loads of issues on the forums about taillights warping through heat) and noticed that the foglight housing looks as if it can be swapped over easily.
On mine, there is a metal blanking plate inside the light cluster corresponding to the position that the fog light is in in the opposing cluster. It looks as if it could be snapped out and the fog lamp simply swapped over.

Regarding the speedo, mine appears to be in MPH but also with KPH in an inner circle in smaller font. So hopefully, I'll not need to swap that. The digital display of course can be switched between Miles and Kilometers.

The headlights are a bit more worrying though... was that a Merc dealer who quoted that figure? If it really is 3 screws and a plug (see Bazzle's post) then maybe we can save a pile of cash between us.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:23 AM

SLK 230K
Update

Just thought I'd update errors in my last post, in case anyone was watching...

I haven't found a way to switch the trip counter into kilometres from miles; I can only guess I saw the feature on another car some time back.

I have installed new Depo headlights on the car now: 200 euros on eBay, and 50 euros locally for a garage to fit them. They seem fine, and beats the 900 euros that MB quoted me!

Although it is physically easy to move the fog light over, it doesn't work - I suspect the wiring harness simply isn't connected to the other socket. However, I've found anecdotal evidence that the position of the fog light will not fail the Controle Technique test here in France - so fingers-crossed that's true. I might end up running wires across the car to get the light working via the other socket but hopefully that won't be necessary.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can get generic light bulb holders made of plastic that will fit into the MB rear light. They have 2 wires running from them.
Just put one on the hole on the other side and extend the 2 wires along the back trim.

Bazzle