SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: HELP: Chrome (plated?) Wheels peeling and I'm selling my car today!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK230
HELP: Chrome (plated?) Wheels peeling. How do I clean?

Hello all! I need some help.

I have a 2001 SLK 230 Kompressor in Glacier White with upgraded wheels/rims. They are the polished chrome type- see picture. Anyhow, I recently moved from California to Ohio where there has been a bit of snow this winter. If you are familiar with snowy winters, you know they put salt on the roads to help the conditions. Well, apparently that salt does not mix well with chrome and thus, the chrome on my wheels is peeling and chipping.

I was just washing the car and giving special attention to the dirty rims when I noticed they are suddenly peeling and corroding. Does anyone have recommendations on the best way to take care/clean of the wheels that are peeling? Someone mentioned steel wool and WD-40? to get all the peeling pieces off, then to wash with soap and water. But this sounds harsh.
There is also alot of black brake dust that is harder than heck to remove due to the salt I believe?! Ugh. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks so much!

Here's some pics of my car and the rims of what they DID look like prior to salt!
Attached Thumbnails HELP: Chrome (plated?) Wheels peeling and I'm selling my car today!!-rims.jpg  

Last edited by DaisyRae; 04-01-2008 at 02:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
The point that you made is that you are selling the car. If you are not willing to buy another set of wheels to make it look better then it is AS IS. Salt and chrome don't mix. Get a set of silver rims off of ebay. Then sell just the chrome rims on ebay. You might even make some money because people will buy anything in an auction. Even kidney stones from a celebrity or toast that has the image of Elvis or the Virgin Mary fetch big bucks.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do not use abrasives on that wheel finish. Purchase some Meguires or similar wheel cleaner for CHROME rims and do your best. Sell as is?.

Bazzle