SLK-Class (R170) 1998-2003: SLK 200, SLK 230K, SLK 320

SLK/R170: Help again - Baffled...SLK 230 99

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk 230
Help again - Baffled...SLK 230 99

Hey a few weeks ago I was having Catalitic converter problems n an SLK 230 1999 68k. I replaced the CAT and the car still idles rough and the cat turn bright red. Its brand new so it cant be clogged. Would a muffler back the heat up and cause the cat to heat up and turn red or would the engine have something to do with this? The muffler looks fine - zero rust 68k on it. Also the engine has little power while driving it. HELP !!!
Old 06-28-2008, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
Did you replace it with the correct cat? Still sounds like it is the problem.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slk 230
Back again - More Info..

The size up: OBD II throws MAF and Cam shaft Position Sensor.

A year ago I replaced the Cam shaft Position Sensor, K40 and Wiring harness. I also added front and rear O2 Sensors to the new Cat converter. I think the Cam shaft Position Sensor is ok being new.

New info: I found a fault (cracked Spark Plug Connector to the Ignition Coil/Spark Plug. I think thays why it was idling rough - the engine would shack and struggle while idling. 3 1/2 cyclinder???

The brand new spark plug of the fault was covered with carbon the other three were clean.

I am getting a new MAF and a Spark Plug Connector to the underside of the Coil to Spark Plug below.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ug%20Connector

Question: How do I know if the Ignition Coil, Spark Plug Wire Set needs replacement? (SLK 230 1999 68k)

I think I am getting closer to a smoother running engine.

This round I also replaced the two serp belts, oil, oil filter, coolant, all coolant hoses and exspantion tank + cleaned the K&N air filter.

Would a fault in the ignition wires cause the Cat to turn bright red after a mile drive? I looked underneath and witnessed a red glow. It's brand spankin new - maybe a break in period???

Thanks for all your help, comments and time.....

Lt
Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C300
Sounds like you went with an aftermarket CAT that may not be suited for your car even if they said it was a size up. It is alway good to replace any cracked parts when it comes to electrical connections. The dealership would test your coils to see if they are good and other shops would shot gun it and replace them and make you pay. Then when the problem doesn't go away, they would keep on spending your money to try. The MAF could get oil on it from the K&N filter after oilling it. You might put a stock one in until you find the problem. There is a lot more that could be going on so advise unfortunatly would be guessing in the dark.