SLK/R170: Buying a 1999 SLK....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
Buying a 1999 SLK....

Hello,
I am new here and I would truly appriciate some feedback and opinions about the SLK 230 1999.

Its my dream car and I decided I am going to buy one.
My budget is 15K.

I am from Ohio and I found a dealer in Columbus who is selling one.

It has 84k miles...its black,with the gray/black two tone color.

For $13.900

The carfax is clean.

Now when I saw the car i notice few things.The driver side mirror was black,like the color/film came off...the windows go up and down a little rough,not nice and smooth...same with the side power mirror,you hear the sounds and some cracking noise.

The middle consule where the botton is to put the top down and up and totally lose and out of place.

The breaks seemed fine and I did hit on the breaks few times hard and it felt good.However, eachtime I relesead my foot from the break,it made a sound.Which sometimes my current car does too..so I am not sure.

The driving was good, not the best..I am not sure yet.The muffler is a little loud,from what I heard the slk is usually a quiet car.
I am not sure of the car might need new shocks.

Over all,the ride was good,but i expected to be more smooth...

Now...the dealer wanted to make deal with me right there.And its a big dealership,and they sell porsche,bmw,lexus everyhting..

They would not offer me at least 1 month warranty,to give me a peace of mind.
They said their mechanic will fix the known problems,they wanna put new breaks and all on...they told me they would fix the side mirror that black.

I mean I love the car but I need some feedback....

What does usually go wrong with this car? is the electrical stuff expensive,in case I wanna update the power windows and mirrors and the top was not opening up smoothly either.So it made some noise while the top went up or down.
Is that normal...

Anyway...i hope some of you can give me an idea...

here is the link to the car
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=125
Old 06-29-2008, 01:53 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz SLK-230 Kompressor
In my opinion, they should offer at least a 30 day warranty to fix any further problems you might discover. I see red flags when the dealer wants you to make deal right now trying to pressure you. Make sure you get everything in writing regarding what they'll fix. Does the convertible top work ok?

Mike
Old 06-29-2008, 04:11 PM

C300
Hey Mike,

thanks for your info. I know, the hing that gave me red flags...they wanted me to buy the car and get me make a deal....

but at the end when i requested to see the inspection report,he took of and came back saying "yes, the mechanic actually notice problems which he is gonna fix monday" so...if i never would have asked for that,they would have sold me the car "knowing" mechanic notice few things to be fixed...

U know the convertible did work, but it made a werid sound,like cracking noise (like its been used or old) I am not sure....maybe it just made that sound because it has not been used alot...

but the car was even dirty inside, I mean full of dust and it was not detailed and shiny at all,which you might think they would do,in a high class car dealership...but it looked pretty sad.

I have a friend in germany and he told me today never ever to buy a SLK below the 2001 year,
He said it was reported in germany by mercedes benz that all 2001 and up have a facelift meaning, all the known problems the 1998,1999,2000 have has been eliminated and fixed by 2001 slks and up.

So I am now debating if I should spent couple k's more for 2001...

I thought it was low for high class dealership not offer me an warranty, not even for 7 days....which makes me wonder "why"

I guess I will look for a 2001 around 60k miles on it...

I am in Ohio and those SLK's are soo hard to find,even in Michigan!
Old 06-29-2008, 05:29 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz SLK-230 Kompressor
Well, I know plenty of people on these forums who have pre-facelift versions which they're very happy with. Any vehicle you get will have normal maintenance issues (even brand new cars), so just be prepared for that. I have a 2002 model which I purchased earlier this year. It had 53,000 miles when I bought it [paid $17,000]. It's got 62,000 now and I haven't had a single problem with it.

I think you're on the right track by staying away from that dealership and that specific SLK. Too many red flags in my opinion.

Mike
Old 06-30-2008, 01:09 AM

C300
Thank you guys for your info and opinion.

I won't answer nor return their phone call...I am gonna do what you guys also suggest, to look for at least a 2001 (facelift) one and up...

probabaly the 2001,since that would fit my budget.

I have one question for you all....is it true that the old 1998,1999 and even 2000 steats are very uncomfy and the 2001 and upper models have much nicer seats...that are actually nicer and more comfy.

any truth to that?

thanks
Old 06-30-2008, 08:10 AM

2001 slk
keep looking

As one of the apparent few that had a bad relationship with my slk, I get bad press here but to my mind the price you were quoted was about 2grand too high. Also if the top sounds like it is grating then you are in for problems. Keep looking for a 2001 or later if that is what you want. We all should get our dream car at least once! just don't be blinded by enthusiasm into buying a lemon. As far as seats go mine were ok with good bun warmers. maybe because i live in california, i see them 2001 versions for about 14.5